Don't know if anybody else watched Tuesday night, but Major League baseball moved its first-time player draft to prime time and tried to emulate the formula used by the NFL and NBA.

One problem to me was that the broadcast was over the Major League Network, which is of course a subsidiary of Major League Baseball. I watched about 90 minutes and came away with serious questions about the objectivity of the commentators.

Watching the telecast, EVERY pick was a great pick. So what if the Orioles used the fifth pick to take a guy who wasn't listed in their pre-telecast top 20 ... one of the commentators had just been watching tape that morning and thought the guy looked like a future star. That was the response to every crazy and bizarre pick.

The telecast badly needed someone like Mel Kiper, who may be a clown, but is an opinionated observer who doesn't mind ripping a team for a bad pick.

Let me give you one example. I don't have access to the article now, but everybody who has studied the draft -- from Bill James to Rob Neyer to Billy Beane -- has noticed one glaring fact -- that the highest failure rate is for high school pitchers ... by far.

That's not to say that all high school pitchers fail or that even a majority of college players succeed -- they don't. But college players (pitchers and position players) succeed at a MUCH higher rate that high school players. High school position players are a bigger gamble than college players, but have a much higher success rate than high school pitchers.

Couldn't ONE of the MLBN commentators have brought that up last night as the No. 5 (Orioles); No. 6 (Giants); No. 9 (Tigers); No. 11 (Rockies); No. 14 (Rangers); No. 18 (Marlins) and No. 19 (Cardinals) -- at that point I stopped watching -- picks were all used on high school pitchers.

I'm not saying that all those picks were bad ones ... but history suggests that the great majority of them will never reach the big leagues and most of the rest will never succeed there.

Anyway, it was interesting to see the draft unfold, but the telecast has a long, LONG way to go.