Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Was Amos n Andy located at Five Points when you were at Duke? (Across from the now defunct Book Exchange) They were famous for their hot dogs and chili. The hot dog and the chili stained the bun. Even people who usually wanted their dogs all the way marveled at how good these were with just the chili and maybe some slaw. The current Dog House restaurants come close to serving a dog close the Amos n Andy dogs.
    Ahh, on to hot dogs.

Our group had a definite difference of opinions on the best place to get a good hot dog...it was either Amos n Andy's or King's Hot Dogs, down near the old Durham baseball park.

I was a King's fan myself...2 with mustard, chili, and slaw, or perhaps one hot dog and a ham and egg sandwich on toast, with either a fountain Pepsi or some sweet ice tea to wash it down.

Frequent trips to the hot dog joints could produce some heart burn, and you also had to be aware of grease seaping through the bag on to your jeans.

But it was tasty and filling and offered some interesting contacts with parts of Durham we didn't often see.

For a little better quality dining, a Meat and 3 vegetables at AB's was hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Ah, yes, The Palm... it was a staple among the court house employees and local attorneys for years. It finally closed I think when there was no one else in the family who could operate it.

Was Amos n Andy located at Five Points when you were at Duke? (Across from the now defunct Book Exchange) They were famous for their hot dogs and chili. The hot dog and the chili stained the bun. Even people who usually wanted their dogs all the way marveled at how good these were with just the chili and maybe some slaw. The current Dog House restaurants come close to serving a dog close the Amos n Andy dogs.
    Actually it was "The Palms" and was on Chapel Hill Street across from The Washington Duke Hotel. It was next to Public Hardware and can be seen (after it was closed and empty) in the movie "Bull Durham."

Amos n Andy was originally on Chapel Hill St and later moved on to Main Street - in the late 70's.

Does anyone remember when they imploded The Washington Duke hotel? It was done by Controlled Demolitions Incorporated (CDI) owned by Jack Loizeaux. That company later becamed more well known for more high profile implosions - and have had a show done on them on PBS.

Jack always said the last thing he ever did before he "pushed the button" was look at the cancelled check that paid for the insurance on the job!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Actually it was "The Palms" and was on Chapel Hill Street across from The Washington Duke Hotel. It was next to Public Hardware and can be seen (after it was closed and empty) in the movie "Bull Durham."

Amos n Andy was originally on Chapel Hill St and later moved on to Main Street - in the late 70's.

Does anyone remember when they imploded The Washington Duke hotel? It was done by Controlled Demolitions Incorporated (CDI) owned by Jack Loizeaux. That company later becamed more well known for more high profile implosions - and have had a show done on them on PBS.

Jack always said the last thing he ever did before he "pushed the button" was look at the cancelled check that paid for the insurance on the job!

http://endangereddurham.blogspot.com...d-parrish.html

Here's an old picture or two from downtown Durham that might be familiar to some.

I've heard that the Criterion Theater had some interesting features.

Note: I just stumbled on this web site/blog. There are tons of pictures of Durham going way back. Folks can probably find some landmarks or just browse through some of it. It's pretty interesing.
    Last edited by roywhite; 06-10-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: add note about old Durham pix

Quote Originally Posted by dukepsy1963 View Post
    The comics were always covered in spaghetti sauce as I recall....

By the way, anyone remember the Null and Void? I used to play dixieland there with a bunch of other guys. Later it turned into a coffee shop...poetry, etc. This dates me...around 1960 or so...during the "beat" period.

Our pay at the Null and Void was all the beer we wanted. That was enough. I remember a "fight" between a KA and our trombone player. Our trumpet player was the son of the owner of Shaeffer Beer as I recall. Ah me...
    Was the gal's name Jennie Rambeau (or something like that)? The place I'm thinking of was located on the left side of one of the side streets (maybe Buchanan) as one would walk from E. Main St. (in front of East Campus) over to Chapel Hill St. not far from the Catholic Church and school.

Quote Originally Posted by dukepsy1963 View Post
    The comics were always covered in spaghetti sauce as I recall....

By the way, anyone remember the Null and Void? I used to play dixieland there with a bunch of other guys. Later it turned into a coffee shop...poetry, etc. This dates me...around 1960 or so...during the "beat" period.

Our pay at the Null and Void was all the beer we wanted. That was enough. I remember a "fight" between a KA and our trombone player. Our trumpet player was the son of the owner of Shaeffer Beer as I recall. Ah me...
    I asked my Dad. His band (blues) never played at the Null and Void, but he went there. They played at Hernando's Hideaway on Hillsborough Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I asked my Dad. His band (blues) never played at the Null and Void, but he went there. They played at Hernando's Hideaway on Hillsborough Rd.
    Now there's a name from the past!!!!! Thanks for the reminder!

In the early sixties, I think the Null & Void and the Rat(hskeller)* were each in the same location in the triangular building where W. Chapel Hill and Duke University Road split. They were in the basement and you had to come in from the Duke side. None of those places seemed to last for more than a school year under the same management. At one point it was a folkie music spot -- my class lost at least one freshman who chose acoustic guitar over school and tried to make a name for himself there. Never succeeded. The place epitomized funk, though. Perfect for college students who preferred the smell of stale beer.

*Not to be confused with the Rathskeller in Chapel Hill.

You've got it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    In the early sixties, I think the Null & Void and the Rat(hskeller)* were each in the same location in the triangular building where W. Chapel Hill and Duke University Road split. They were in the basement and you had to come in from the Duke side. None of those places seemed to last for more than a school year under the same management. At one point it was a folkie music spot -- my class lost at least one freshman who chose acoustic guitar over school and tried to make a name for himself there. Never succeeded. The place epitomized funk, though. Perfect for college students who preferred the smell of stale beer.

*Not to be confused with the Rathskeller in Chapel Hill.
    Right on!!! Yes, a triangular building and the basement. I still have a flyer advertising the Null and Void and the fact we were playing there. They lost their license over and over I think. Later it became the coffee house; which also didn't last long. I met my Duke "love" there one night. She was a Durham High Senior and her father was a philosophy professor. She would enter Duke the next year......and dump me for a neurologist after a couple of years. We had some swell times though...yikes!!!! Said too much!