Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Bat's"-Annamaria's Pizza

For any other old-timers on the board (graduating in the 60's and 70's), you might be interested in the link below.

http://endangereddurham.blogspot.com...ias-pizza.html

I got the link from some of my fraternity brothers (Kappa Sig's). Bat's was one of our favorite spots for pizza, "spag with balls" - and maybe a beer or two.

For those of you who had the chance to eat at Bat's, you'll enjoy the article; and for those of you who passed through Duke a little later, sorry you missed it.

Glen

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Annamaria's was a favorite of my family. As kids, my sister and I loved the food, but we loved the comics more. They had TONS of comics, you could eat great italian and catch up on Richie Rich. I miss the lopsided floors too. I'll always remember the atmosphere more than the food.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    For any other old-timers on the board (graduating in the 60's and 70's), you might be interested in the link below.

I got the link from some of my fraternity brothers (Kappa Sig's). Bat's was one of our favorite spots for pizza, "spag with balls" - and maybe a beer or two.

For those of you who had the chance to eat at Bat's, you'll enjoy the article; and for those of you who passed through Duke a little later, sorry you missed it.

Glen
    We've talked about Bat's several times on the board in years gone past, usually in conjunction with other long time restaurants that have closed in the area, including a couple over in hell (the Rat and the ZoomZoom Room).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Annamaria's "oh wow"

It was certainly part of my Duke experience.

My freshman year (66-67), I went to Bat's after a Four Season's concert - and they were there sitting in the back having pizza and beer. I got to talk to and hang out with Frankie Valli et al. !!!! Although he could hardly talk after singing falsetto for a couple hours

It turns out that Bat was from the same town in New Jersey as they were.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post

Glen
    There were so many colorful local institutions during the 50's, 60's and 70's: The Ivy Room, Pete Rinaldi's, A. B. Morris (AB's cafeteria), the Donut Dinette, University Grill, Mayola's, the Blue Light ... all run by local people who had great relationships with the students.

I'd also add La Petite Birdland, the Stallion Club, the venue at the old Holiday Inn on Chapel Hill St. (lot of acts appeared there).

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    It turns out that Bat was from the same town in New Jersey as they were.
    Frankie Valli grew up as Bat's next door neighbor in (IIRC) Newark, NJ. Bat was a bricklayer by trade. He was a bricklayer when he moved to Durham because of Aggie's health. Aggie got married in the 70's and had a child.

Bat, with good humor, always used to complain that Frankie made all the money and he had to feed him when he came to town.

Many times, often on Saturday afternoons, students would rent the place for private parties. Bat would entertain with his inimical style - often to the embarrassment of some of the patrons. Bat could sing a raunchy song.

Thanks for this!!

The comics were always covered in spaghetti sauce as I recall....

By the way, anyone remember the Null and Void? I used to play dixieland there with a bunch of other guys. Later it turned into a coffee shop...poetry, etc. This dates me...around 1960 or so...during the "beat" period.

Our pay at the Null and Void was all the beer we wanted. That was enough. I remember a "fight" between a KA and our trombone player. Our trumpet player was the son of the owner of Shaeffer Beer as I recall. Ah me...

One recollection of Bat's was the casual way the proprietor kept track of the meal check. It was quite often a "paper-less" transaction and exact charges could vary. Show up at the register after dining, tell Bat what you had, and he'd come up with a total. The next guy in line might have had the same meal, but there'd be a different charge. Questions were generally resolved in the client's favor.

Very relaxed place; food wasn't fancy, but not bad.

Mayola's and the University Grill (U.G.) were my favorite establishments of the time. Half a Cuban sandwich and a 16-oz Schlitz was the standard, with Mrs. Myra providing the service.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Frankie Valli grew up as Bat's next door neighbor in (IIRC) Newark, NJ. Bat was a bricklayer by trade. He was a bricklayer when he moved to Durham because of Aggie's health. Aggie got married in the 70's and had a child.

Bat, with good humor, always used to complain that Frankie made all the money and he had to feed him when he came to town.

Many times, often on Saturday afternoons, students would rent the place for private parties. Bat would entertain with his inimical style - often to the embarrassment of some of the patrons. Bat could sing a raunchy song.
    I may have this confused (memory of years ago may not always be accurate!), but I thought it was Rosemary, the second daughter who married and had a child, not Aggie.

Quote Originally Posted by dukepsy1963 View Post
    The comics were always covered in spaghetti sauce as I recall....

By the way, anyone remember the Null and Void? I used to play dixieland there with a bunch of other guys. Later it turned into a coffee shop...poetry, etc. This dates me...around 1960 or so...during the "beat" period.

Our pay at the Null and Void was all the beer we wanted. That was enough. I remember a "fight" between a KA and our trombone player. Our trumpet player was the son of the owner of Shaeffer Beer as I recall. Ah me...
    After reading your reference to the coffee house, I've been trying unsuccessfully to remember the name. I can picture where it was located, but the name eludes me!

Our trumpet player was the son of the owner of Shaeffer Beer as I recall. Ah me...
    Shaeffer, is the, one beer to have when you're having m o r e . t h a n . o n e!

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Shaeffer, is the, one beer to have when you're having m o r e . t h a n . o n e!
    Well, perhaps. But:

You only go around once in life,
    So you've got to grab for all the gusto you can,
    Even in the beer you drink,
    Why settle for less?

Joseph P. Schlitz Brewing Company,
    Milwaukee, Winston-Salem, and the World.

Back in the day, Schlitz was a popular brand, #2 nationally behind only Budweiser, and perhaps #1 at Jim's Party Store and on the Duke campus.

Then some genius changed the brewing process and changed the flavor of the beer. The brand, and the company, never recovered.

Coffee House

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    After reading your reference to the coffee house, I've been trying unsuccessfully to remember the name. I can picture where it was located, but the name eludes me!
    Wow!!! We must be the only two! I cannnot remember the coffee house name either. It did not last long as I recall. It was the era of good jazz, poetry, belted pants, narrow lapels, short hair cuts, "On the Road," Peter Gunn, JFK, etc. Tame by today's standards; although we did do a few things that might surprise younger kids! I can think of several hundred myself!!

Whatever happened to Squeaky?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, perhaps. But:

Why settle for less?

Back in the day, Schlitz was a popular brand, #2 nationally behind only Budweiser, and perhaps #1 at Jim's Party Store and on the Duke campus.

Then some genius changed the brewing process and changed the flavor of the beer. The brand, and the company, never recovered.
    I remember that point in time when Schlitz was the choice of many. It seems to me that about the time the Schlitz flavor changed, Coors was seeking a way to make their beer closer to its customers over on the right coast. In the late sixties and into the seventies, Coors seemed something of a specialty beer because it was manufactured only somewhere in the Rockies. Maintaining its quality while shipping it a distance was something of a challenge back then.

Wow!!! We must be the only two! I cannnot remember the coffee house name either. It did not last long as I recall. It was the era of good jazz, poetry, belted pants, narrow lapels, short hair cuts, "On the Road," Peter Gunn, JFK, etc. Tame by today's standards; although we did do a few things that might surprise younger kids! I can think of several hundred myself!!

Whatever happened to Squeaky?
    Yes, the identity as a coffee house was more of a transition than a lasting change. I think the first name of the woman who ran the coffee house started with a J...Jeanne, Judy... she was more on the fringe of then current society... beatnik might have the term applied to her. This was before hippies appeared on the scene. I seem to recall that the coffee house was a known to be a place where MJ and other illicit drugs were used and available when that culture was emerging... in fact, its demise came because of the sale and use of illicit drugs there.

There were so many colorful local institutions during the 50's, 60's and 70's: The Ivy Room, Pete Rinaldi's, A. B. Morris (AB's cafeteria), the Donut Dinette, University Grill, Mayola's, the Blue Light ... all run by local people who had great relationships with the students.

I'd also add La Petite Birdland, the Stallion Club, the venue at the old Holiday Inn on Chapel Hill St. (lot of acts appeared there).
    As Bob Hope used to sing, thanks for the memories. I still have my last punched card meal ticket from Rinaldi's, and I frequented all of the others you mentioned. I'll go back a little further, and mention The Palm on Chapel Street just steps from Five Points, and the Variety just around the corner from the post office down town. They had an item on the menu called the Steak 99. For 99 cents you got a beef steak that covered about hlf of your plate. The rest of the plate was covered by french fries, and it came with unlimited rolls and either milk or iced tea. A lot of the guys on the GI Bill stipend thrived in Rinaldi's and the Variety. The Palm was a little more upscale with white table cloths. I think the Stallion was called the Saddle Club in my day. It was pretty good for big date nights just before the big dances on campus. There was also Bullock's, about a quarter mile west of its present location, and just about the same as it is today, no better or worse. My favorite for an empty stomach was Baileys, right on the corner of Main and Buchanan. It was actually part of an Esso station, and they served hamburgers and beer. I don't remember anything else. We'd order a hamburger, drink a beer while it was cooking, order another beer when it was ready, and go sit on the East Campus wall across the street, a perfect spot for reviewing the East Campus population as they walked by.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, perhaps. But:

Why settle for less?

Back in the late 70's, the Schlitz brewery in Winston Salem was a customer of mine (for process instrumentation). Loved the sales calls, ending in the tour sampling room! And yes, I was a customer of theirs too. This was before the days of Bud Light

I have also called on the Miller plant in Eden. That one is still in operation!

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    As Bob Hope used to sing, thanks for the memories. I still have my last punched card meal ticket from Rinaldi's, and I frequented all of the others you mentioned. I'll go back a little further, and mention The Palm on Chapel Street just steps from Five Points, and the Variety just around the corner from the post office down town. They had an item on the menu called the Steak 99. For 99 cents you got a beef steak that covered about hlf of your plate. The rest of the plate was covered by french fries, and it came with unlimited rolls and either milk or iced tea. A lot of the guys on the GI Bill stipend thrived in Rinaldi's and the Variety. The Palm was a little more upscale with white table cloths. I think the Stallion was called the Saddle Club in my day. It was pretty good for big date nights just before the big dances on campus. There was also Bullock's, about a quarter mile west of its present location, and just about the same as it is today, no better or worse. My favorite for an empty stomach was Baileys, right on the corner of Main and Buchanan. It was actually part of an Esso station, and they served hamburgers and beer. I don't remember anything else. We'd order a hamburger, drink a beer while it was cooking, order another beer when it was ready, and go sit on the East Campus wall across the street, a perfect spot for reviewing the East Campus population as they walked by.
    Ah, yes, The Palm... it was a staple among the court house employees and local attorneys for years. It finally closed I think when there was no one else in the family who could operate it.

Was Amos n Andy located at Five Points when you were at Duke? (Across from the now defunct Book Exchange) They were famous for their hot dogs and chili. The hot dog and the chili stained the bun. Even people who usually wanted their dogs all the way marveled at how good these were with just the chili and maybe some slaw. The current Dog House restaurants come close to serving a dog close the Amos n Andy dogs.

I remember that point in time when Schlitz was the choice of many. It seems to me that about the time the Schlitz flavor changed, Coors was seeking a way to make their beer closer to its customers over on the right coast. In the late sixties and into the seventies, Coors seemed something of a specialty beer because it was manufactured only somewhere in the Rockies. Maintaining its quality while shipping it a distance was something of a challenge back then.
    At that time Coors was unpasturized and had a very short shelf life. That was the reason it was only available in the inter-ocean west and west coast.

Coors was brewed in Golden, CO - near Boulder near Denver.

Where was it located?