Thread: Schwinn bikes

Schwinn bikes

Anybody know anything about Schwinn bikes these days? I am hearing mixed reviews. I am looking for an affordable bike to commute around town on - specifically interested in the Gridlock Comfort Bike, which I can only find at Target...

It doesn't have to be the best bike in the world, but I do want it to last at least a couple of years.

When I was a kid, I used to aspire to have a Schwinn bike. It was at least two steps up from a Huffy, which was what you found in a K-mart or other big-box store. Schwinns were sold at "Bike Shops," so they had to be good, right?

But, that was nearly 30 years ago, so I have no idea what happened to the brand in the interim. My hunch would be that the brand got sold to some other, cheaper, manufacturing conglomerate, if you're seeing them in Target.

Hmm, well, if Wikipedia is to believed, they did get sold - to China: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwinn

Still is probably a good enough bike to get you from point a to b.

I still have my old Schwinn Varsity 10-speed bike from circa 1967 in my garage. The tires need to be replaced as they won't hold air pressure any longer (long enough to ride up and down the block, but not till the next day).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I bought a cheap Schwinn last year for commuting 1-mile each way. You're going to get another mixed review here: it's not the most comfortable bike I've had, but it gets the job done. The longest ride I've done was about 10 miles around town, and it wasn't too bad. I've owned it for about a year, but since I only ride in the summer, so it's more like 3 months. I, too, am hoping this lasts me 2-3 years, but when we move I'll probably throw this away.

My wife has a Schwinn World Avenue I, which she likes pretty well. She got it to ride the 3 miles into the city to go to school. It's a touring bike, so you sit in more upright position, and isn't terribly expensive.