Giants @ Nats 6/3

The management of the woeful Washington Nationals needed nearly four hours and two inches of rain to finally call the game that might have been Randy Johnson's 300th victory last night. Lightning strikes within yards of the stadium couldn't convince them and umpires plodding through water up to their knees, twice, made no impression. Repeated trips to the information desk were a chance to get to know two nice ladies in Nats blazers who were just as frustrated as the rest of the 20K people in attendance.

No, the deciding moment came when the concessions workers began closing up with a finality brought about by the clock ticking towards the departure of the last trains and the long rides home. The prospect of not being able to squeeze out a few more dollars from the captive fans won out.

As fans left, at 11pm, they were told that in order to exchange their tickets, they would have to return to the park another time since the ticket windows were closed. And PS, don't even think about trying to exchange for the inter-league games against the Red Sox because that was not going to be allowed.

The Nationals owners are a two-bit organization of cheapskates who have no business being in sports. And they serve lousy beer (Peroni?!) and the stadium looks like a boring minor league venue and the gutters leak on the concourses.

Lightning and thunderstorms are forecast for today's make-up doubleheader, but, I'll be home packing for a trip to Detroit to see a REAL baseball team in a beautiful park with great food and drink. And to see a Stanley Cup game.

Phooey on the Nats.

Perhaps that should be "phooey on the Lerners". I'm not a fan of the Lerners so far, but I continue to be a fan of the Nats on the field. And the stadium? May not be the most aesthetically pleasing venue, but I'll take it any day over RFK. Go Nats!

Yeah, well, I feel sorry for Ryan Zimmerman (a truly impressive player) and Jordan Zimmermann but that's about it.

If you can believe it, they are playing right now, in the rain. There can't be anyone at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    The management of the woeful Washington Nationals needed nearly four hours and two inches of rain to finally call the game that might have been Randy Johnson's 300th victory last night. Lightning strikes within yards of the stadium couldn't convince them and umpires plodding through water up to their knees, twice, made no impression. Repeated trips to the information desk were a chance to get to know two nice ladies in Nats blazers who were just as frustrated as the rest of the 20K people in attendance.

No, the deciding moment came when the concessions workers began closing up with a finality brought about by the clock ticking towards the departure of the last trains and the long rides home. The prospect of not being able to squeeze out a few more dollars from the captive fans won out.

As fans left, at 11pm, they were told that in order to exchange their tickets, they would have to return to the park another time since the ticket windows were closed. And PS, don't even think about trying to exchange for the inter-league games against the Red Sox because that was not going to be allowed.

The Nationals owners are a two-bit organization of cheapskates who have no business being in sports. And they serve lousy beer (Peroni?!) and the stadium looks like a boring minor league venue and the gutters leak on the concourses.

Lightning and thunderstorms are forecast for today's make-up doubleheader, but, I'll be home packing for a trip to Detroit to see a REAL baseball team in a beautiful park with great food and drink. And to see a Stanley Cup game.

Phooey on the Nats.
    They did the same thing for a game I went to last year when we had a Duke Club of Washington outing. The game was cancelled 3.5 hours after the game was supposed to start, even though the heavy rain and lightning started 1 hr prior to the start time. Ridiculous.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Perhaps that should be "phooey on the Lerners". I'm not a fan of the Lerners so far, but I continue to be a fan of the Nats on the field. And the stadium? May not be the most aesthetically pleasing venue, but I'll take it any day over RFK. Go Nats!
    The field my Little League plays on is better than RFK. Being better than RFK is not much of an accomplishment.