Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke-Kansas football details firmed up

From Duke SID.

"Duke's football game against Kansas scheduled for Saturday, September 19 in Lawrence, Kan., will kick off at 12 noon (ET). The contest -- the first between the Blue Devils and Jayhawks on the gridiron -- will be televised live by VERSUS."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    From Duke SID.

"Duke's football game against Kansas scheduled for Saturday, September 19 in Lawrence, Kan., will kick off at 12 noon (ET). The contest -- the first between the Blue Devils and Jayhawks on the gridiron -- will be televised live by VERSUS."
    Wow! Versus is televising college football? Have they done that in the past? I've never noticed it. I actually get Vs.! Looking forward to it. Thanks for the report, Jim.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    From Duke SID.

Thanks Jim. We brunchgaters have that day marked to gather in Durham and watch at one of the local's houses. Good to know for sure that it will be on TV. GO DUKE!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thanks, Jim.

2 years ago I trekked out to South Bend to see the ND game, b/c that's about as far West as Duke usually goes. Kansas is even closer (to CA), but I'm not sure there's the same allure. Now if this were a game at the Phog...

Any other Devils thinking about making the trip?

House party @ DukieInKansas's pad!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Thanks, Jim.

2 years ago I trekked out to South Bend to see the ND game, b/c that's about as far West as Duke usually goes. Kansas is even closer (to CA), but I'm not sure there's the same allure. Now if this were a game at the Phog...

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    House party @ DukieInKansas's pad!!!!
    With Ozzie's help, I will have 6 tickets to the game. Five are spoken for - so I have one available for someone. We can hit the Free State Brewery after the game for those of the beer persuasion! I'm sure a Duke shirt after our victory will get us free beer.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Thanks, Jim.

Last time I saw a game at Phog Allen, Crazy Towel Guy (aka Herb) came this close to getting arrested into protective custody. Quite an experience.

-jk

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Last time I saw a game at Phog Allen, Crazy Towel Guy (aka Herb) came this close to getting arrested into protective custody. Quite an experience.

-jk
    As opposed to getting arrested in Kansas City in '88.

Glad I saw this. I was about to book a trip to the game through St. Louis, in order to see the Cards on Friday night (#24 on my national baseball tour of stadiums.) Wouldn't get into KC until 10AM, that would only leave an hour (game time is 11AM CDT) from the airport. Looks like I'll have to catch the Cards another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Wow! Versus is televising college football? Have they done that in the past? I've never noticed it. I actually get Vs.! Looking forward to it. Thanks for the report, Jim.
    They broadcast primarily Mountain West and WAC football and basketball (and own the mtn. network).
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

I know it is out of Duke's hands as a road game, but it really would be nice if we didn't play at noon on Rosh Hashana...
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

If im not mistaken, VERSUS is a national tv station. If so, this would be Duke's first national televised football game since I can remember.

Those games they play on WRAL are only seen by people in the southeast.

ESPNU did a couple of Duke's games last year, but I don't count that as National TV.

This is a big game for duke, that hopefully they could win and start with a 3-0 record...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    This is a big game for duke, that hopefully they could win and start with a 3-0 record...
    Beating Kansas is a tall order, but I agree with you that a 3-0 start would be nice. However, we had better not look past Richmond! They were the FCS Champions last year. I'm starting to get excited about the approaching football season.
    Bob Green

Duke @ Notre Dame - November 17, 2007 - NBC

Other than the ESPNU appearances, Duke hasn't been on national TV since 1996 (Duke@Tech on ESPN Thursday Night).
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    I know it is out of Duke's hands as a road game, but it really would be nice if we didn't play at noon on Rosh Hashana...

Mike Stein
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa
    Mike, the Jewish calendar just doesn't dictate sports scheduling with TV money ruling.

Fortunately, Sandy Koufax isn't our starting QB.

And all this time I thought msdukie stood for Ms. Dukie, and not your initials! Glad I noticed your sig.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

They have been televising some games in the past few seasons. Kansas is ranked 21st in the country by Athlon, or is it Lindys ... anyhow, one of the pre season mags.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

And all this time I thought msdukie stood for Ms. Dukie, and not your initials! Glad I noticed your sig.
    Nope. but I am looking for a Ms. Dukie, if one is out there ...
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Duke - KU Football, 19 September

Duke's third game this season is played in Lawrence, Kansas, at noon, and will be broadcast live on VERSUS.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4 200&ATCLID=3745459

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    With Ozzie's help, I will have 6 tickets to the game. Five are spoken for - so I have one available for someone. We can hit the Free State Brewery after the game for those of the beer persuasion! I'm sure a Duke shirt after our victory will get us free beer.
    Is that last ticket still available? If so, I might be interested in it. I'll be in Iowa then and would love to make the trip down to Lawrence to watch the game. Let me know. Thanks!

Go DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    If im not mistaken, VERSUS is a national tv station. If so, this would be Duke's first national televised football game since I can remember.

Those games they play on WRAL are only seen by people in the southeast.

ESPNU did a couple of Duke's games last year, but I don't count that as National TV.

Versus is not on basic cable packages like ESPN is. In fact, it's usually on the same cable package as ESPNU. For example, Comcast (the devil) doesn't have ESPNU but has Versus. Some other cable companies have ESPNU but no Versus.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Is that last ticket still available? If so, I might be interested in it. I'll be in Iowa then and would love to make the trip down to Lawrence to watch the game. Let me know. Thanks!

Go DUKE!!!
    I'm sure there are other tickets available. Ozzie was kind enough to purchase 6 for me when he ordered his season tickets. I haven't asked a 6th person - so we can talk.