Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    You are dead right on the fitting, Trip. My neighbor is a TayloyMade pro and does lessons and fittings for a living. The right clubs are a key to better play (and less frustration).
    Oh, yeah big guys (and gals)! You got power and you want the same shafts the pros use. Those are "extra stiff." Uh no, you probably don't. Ask the pro to do a "blind" fitting, where he doesn't disclose the shaft flex on the clubs you are using. Your swing speed and especially your ball flight -- not your ego -- will tell the pro and you what's best.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'Not addressed to Indoor66 but to the readers of the thread'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

After playing the same irons for 19 years (Carbite, not a well known brand and now out of business, but I loved them for 18 years) and my driver for 12, and after getting fitted for Titleist graphite shafted AP1's at my club's demo day (I really liked them), I bought a slightly used set at a (www.GlobalGolf.com) tent sale here in Greensboro for $500 less than the new price. I picked up a used Taylor Made M4 driver for $100. I can't believe how much farther I hit that than my old Taylormade R7. Technology is great!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I rarely played golf and haven't done it in at least 10 years, partly because I lost my favorite club. Partly due to my infrequent playing and my total failure to be able to hit woods, I adapted my approach to a limited set of clubs. My best success came from basically using only three clubs, a putter, nine iron, and a one iron. My ability to control the force applied on the one iron far exceeded my ability to deal with woods and varying club angles. Not saying I was any good, just better that way than the alternative. Somewhere in the move to our current house, the one iron went missing and I haven't tried to play again since.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Oh, yeah big guys (and gals)! You got power and you want the same shafts the pros use. Those are "extra stiff." Uh no, you probably don't. Ask the pro to do a "blind" fitting, where he doesn't disclose the shaft flex on the clubs you are using. Your swing speed and especially your ball flight -- not your ego -- will tell the pro and you what's best.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'Not addressed to Indoor66 but to the readers of the thread'
    I agree with you. That is Steve's approach. Some choose to choose clubs above their skills level - to their detriment.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I rarely played golf and haven't done it in at least 10 years, partly because I lost my favorite club. Partly due to my infrequent playing and my total failure to be able to hit woods, I adapted my approach to a limited set of clubs. My best success came from basically using only three clubs, a putter, nine iron, and a one iron. My ability to control the force applied on the one iron far exceeded my ability to deal with woods and varying club angles. Not saying I was any good, just better that way than the alternative. Somewhere in the move to our current house, the one iron went missing and I haven't tried to play again since.
    I think it was Sam Snead who said that "Even God couldn't hit a one iron!" 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I think it was Sam Snead who said that "Even God couldn't hit a one iron!" 😂
    No, that was Lee Trevino. After he and another player were knocked to the ground by a nearby lightning strike, the next time lightning approached he grabbed his one iron and walked down the fairway holding it aloft. He later told the press it was because “not even God can hit a one iron!”
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    No, that was Lee Trevino. After he and another player were knocked to the ground by a nearby lightning strike, the next time lightning approached he grabbed his one iron and walked down the fairway holding it aloft. He later told the press it was because “not even God can hit a one iron!”
    Thanks. After you wrote that, I recalled it was Trevino. When I posted I was thinking I was wrong in the attribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Wow ... I started reading this thread from the top and it took me a few posts (namely, coming across a former post of mine) to realize its about a decade old! I'm still hitting the same Mizuno irons but am considering something new...

On the single length irons ... is Cobra still the only company putting them out?
    Wishon makes the best single-length clubs in the world, but they are not cheap. They have hi-cor faces on the 5- and 6-irons to keep the distance gaps even. They are fantastic clubs. The irons are called Sterling. Google them if you are interested.

And oh, by the way, I am an avid golfer and I'm currently playing irons that were made in 2003 and a driver that was made in 2007.
    The irons are TopFlite Tours (they just work) and the driver is a TaylorMade 07 Burner. I bought it at PIAS.
    I'm playing quite well with these clubs, so I'll stick with them for a while. 😊