Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Terrible and Scary News ...

"Gunman is loose on the campus" at Virginia Tech.

One person is reported dead, another wounded:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...=1&oref=slogin

Update

It is now being reported that the gunman has been arrested; however, there may be several casualties.

One of my former grad students is working on his PhD there and just emailed us to let us know he was safe--they did evacuate him from one building, and they have a group of them confined in another building for safety. Very scary.

Tragedy at Virginia Tech

Last edited by AluminumDuke; 04-16-2007 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Corrected Link

They are now saying 20... 20 ARE DEAD. That is stunning. That kind of thing simply does not happen. This appears to be worse than Columbine (13 dead plus 2 shooters). Just terrifying. Thoughts and prayers with the entire Va Tech community.

--Jason

Here in Richmond, this is a full internet event as information is sought. News seems to get worse and worse. People receiving information with stunned belief; reserving reactions; trading info on whose children attend, who have been accounted for.

22 dead, several wounded, air rescue impossible due to weather, gunman dies by his own hand (day too late)

This is horrible

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumDuke View Post
    Just absolutely terrible. Now reporting at least 22 dead, 28 injured, mostly if not all students. Condolences don't even begin to convey my thoughts to all involved.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Holy christ. What in the hell happened?

So many dead... SO many wounded. And I read on CNN that there were two seperate incidents; one at 7:15 AM and another 2 hours later?

Hard to even wrap your mind around. What a horrible thing.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    gunman dies by his own hand (day too late)
    It always happens like that. Whether it be a random gunman, or a parent killing his/her kids or spouse, if only they would take their own life first without causing all the suffering of others.

9F 9F 9F

They got the date wrong. These things are supposed to happen on the 19th or 20th, not the 16th.

April 19

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    They got the date wrong. These things are supposed to happen on the 19th or 20th, not the 16th.
    April 19th is the anniversary of Ruby Ridge and the Oklahoma City (Murrah Building) bombing. Is that what you are referring to?

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    April 19th is the anniversary of Ruby Ridge and the Oklahoma City (Murrah Building) bombing. Is that what you are referring to?
    4/19 was Paul Revere's midnight ride and the Battles of Lexington and Concord. Also Waco, not Ruby Ridge. Ruby Ridge was in August.

April 20 was Columbine.

Today is the official celebration of Patriot's Day, however, so maybe they were going for that.

If you find this interesting, Germany's equivalent is November 9.

WDBJ in Roanoke is reporting some students are being treated for injuries related to falls whereas some trying to escape their situation by jumping from buildings at heights as much as 4 stories. Right now they just concluded a report from early this morning from someone on telephone, gunshots audible in the background, lots of gunshots.

Things like this don't begin to make sense. Look for another media crackdown just like after the Columbine shootings, only I guess GTA wil take the place of Marilyn Manson.

TV reports at least one faculty member in treatment.

Incoming reports are now saying anywhere from 29-32 dead. This is ridiculous. I don't know how people cope with things like this.

To think the number of times I was cussed out...

Hi,

One of the jobs I held at Duke, for only a semester or two it was just too much of a bother to keep it, was to lock the doors to a women's dorm at midnight to keep people without a card-key out. Monday through Thursday was usually pretty uneventful. On Friday and Saturday nights it was a different story. I was called every name in the book by various women who lived in the building who didn't want to bother to carry their card-key or they wanted a friend to come visit. When I explained it was for their safety, my goodness, many a woman would then explode even more. I found the best line was actually to just say, "Just doing my job." I got a few choice words about how poor I must be to be doing such a lowly job sometimes too. Duke could be a really loving, fun place to work. Anyway, when I see this kind of thing at VaTech I wonder how easy or hard it was for the perpetrator to get in the building. He might have been a student making my point moot.
    Last edited by Kewlswim; 04-16-2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Putting "GO DUKE!" at the bottom was inappropriate

Many are critical and currently in surgery. Many more casualties may end from this. May God bless them all.

Two incidents?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I am sorry, but I have to wonder exactly what the murderer was armed with to cause SUCH horrible casualties. I wonder how long until the NRA insists it wasn't the fault of the guns

Anyway... ugh.

And what is with the two incidents?

From cnn.com

"One person was killed and others were wounded at multiple locations inside a dormitory about 7:15 a.m., Flinchum said. Two hours later, another shooting at Norris Hall, the engineering science and mechanics building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported."

Hi,

Wow. It sounds like a chordinated attack.