Talking For you Star Wars fans out there... (slight spoiler alert)

I was just playing Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, where you play as Darth Vader's apprentice trying to help him overthrow the emperor. The game takes place between episodes 3 and 4, right after annakin becomes vader and has hunted down most of the jedi council.

Anyway, about 3/4 of the way through the game, you get to fight...

Darth Maul, complete with the double light sabers. The music from episode one when Jinn and Kenobi fight him starts playing. YOU GET TO FIGHT DARTH MAUL IN ALL HIS GLORY WITH THE SOUNDTRACK. Needless to say I almost exploded from the excitement. It is one of the most epic battles in star wars and video game history.

If you are a star wars and video game fan, you owe it to yourself to buy or at least rent this game just for that experience alone. Fighting rancors and using the force to crush a star destroyer and taking on the emperor and darth vader in one on one combat are pretty amazing, but the Darth Maul battle is epic.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I was just playing Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, where you play as Darth Vader's apprentice trying to help him overthrow the emperor. The game takes place between episodes 3 and 4, right after annakin becomes vader and has hunted down most of the jedi council.

Darth Maul, complete with the double light sabers. The music from episode one when Jinn and Kenobi fight him starts playing. YOU GET TO FIGHT DARTH MAUL IN ALL HIS GLORY WITH THE SOUNDTRACK. Needless to say I almost exploded from the excitement. It is one of the most epic battles in star wars and video game history.

If you are a star wars and video game fan, you owe it to yourself to buy or at least rent this game just for that experience alone. Fighting rancors and using the force to crush a star destroyer and taking on the emperor and darth vader in one on one combat are pretty amazing, but the Darth Maul battle is epic.
    And my wife thinks I'm a geek because I do stats for my son's Little League team.

If I may?

Darth Maul = totally overrate and boring.

There, I said it!

Shouldn't he be dead by this point?

Was it as good as this battle?

And, yeah, Darth Maul is dead.

--Jason "maybe he got healed after being cut in half by Obi Wan" Evans

Okay, bigger spoiler alert... he is dead.

There's a droid that Vader programmed to train you. Its name is Proxy, and it trains you by taking the form of various enemies (usually jedi) and ambushing you and trying to kill you. During one of the levels, he shows up and fights you through several forms. When you kick his butt, he steps back and you tell him to deactivate, that there isn't a single form of his that you haven't seen and beaten. He asks you to give him credit, that's he's got a form that he's been saving in his databank for years. He then turns into Darth Maul. The music starts, there's a cutscene where he activates the sabers one right after the other just like in the movie, and then it's on. All I can say is that I got goosebumps from that moment.

As for those who say that Maul is a loser... Jinn took Maul to the limit. Maul then KILLED Jinn, a full jedi. He ALMOST killed Kenobi. He basically beat the snot out of Jinn AND Kenobi for twenty minutes. Kenobi got in a lucky shot right before he ate it. Plus, Obi Wan gave in to his hate to do it. That's the closest he ever came to going darkside. I'd say Maul, as an apprentice (basically the Sith version of a Padawan) who'd never really been tested, did pretty good. JMHO. Not to mention he basically succeeds in everything Darth Sidious asks him to by paving the way for him to take over the republic and found the empire.

I don't remember anything about Darth Maul taking anyone to the limits in Star Wars. I've seen those movies a few thousand times, and nothing. I remember Obi Wan Kenobi, who was this honorable jedi knight, and I remember this terrifying bad-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. named Darth Vader, and I remember this SINISTER as sin guy named the Emperor, but... Seriously. I took a class on Star Wars at Duke, and we discussed this stuff a LOT.

Now... there WAS this Happy-Meal-Tie-In Craptastic movie that came out a few years back with this floppy eared idiot who talked like a slave stereotype and a big fat guy who slobbered (which made kids laugh) and then this annoying little kid called Little Orphan Annie or something who was this AWESOME pod racer but who was even MORE special because he was full of some bacteria called metaclurwearerapingyourchildhood or something that made the Force or something, and then another one were there was this little kid bounty hunter named Boba something, who was like a little kid... are you referring, perhaps, to this horrible set of films with no spirit or sense of humor or any semblance of acting made by some James Lucas guy?

If Harrison Ford isn't in it, it isn't a Star Wars movie. Period. End of story. And now you've made me have to go drink.

I liked episode I better than episode VI with all the frakkin' ewoks. They should have left it on a Wookiee planet like they originally intended.

I liked episode I better than episode VI with all the frakkin' ewoks. They should have left it on a Wookiee planet like they originally intended.
    Hurley said it best:
    "Lets face it. The Ewoks suck, dude."
    --Jason "to understand what I am talking about, I suggest you watch this" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    If Harrison Ford isn't in it, it isn't a Star Wars movie. Period. End of story. And now you've made me have to go drink.
    I used to agree with you there, until George Lucas committed the greatest sin in the history of cinema in my book. He took Han Solo, he pants him for all the world to see, then he turned him around, atomic wedgied him, ripped his heart, which represented all that was good and great about Star Wars, out of his chest, defecated on it, threw it in a meat grinder, then lit it on fire and flushed it down the toilet... when he made... Greeto... shoot... first. Why GEORGE, WHY? How could you do that to me? Han WASN'T a decent guy. Not at that point. He was a scoundrel out for number ONE. That just sucked.

As for the new movies, I love light saber battles. Sorry, I just do. I loved the light saber battle with Darth Maul and Jinn and Kenobi. I loved the light saber battle between Kenobi and Skywalker. And, then there's this...

How could you not love THIS? You are Yoda's female dog that starts with a "b"! That was just amazing. At least I thought so. Guess it's just me.

Oh come on none of those prequel light saber fights were NEARLY as cool as the one between Vader and Obi Wan in the original! Step ... swing! Step... swing!

Hey, I would agree; I loved the Vader/Obi Wan duel! It was totally classic, very samurai style!

As for Han Solo, he shot first. That piece of crap George Lucas, with his metaclurians, gave up all ownership of Star Wars with that, and I ignore it. It wasn't Han's fault.

I used to agree with you there, until George Lucas committed the greatest sin in the history of cinema in my book. He took Han Solo, he pants him for all the world to see, then he turned him around, atomic wedgied him, ripped his heart, which represented all that was good and great about Star Wars, out of his chest, defecated on it, threw it in a meat grinder, then lit it on fire and flushed it down the toilet... when he made...
    Change Han Solo to Indiana Jones, and Star Wars to Indiana Jones, then you can appropriately finish this statement with

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I used to agree with you there, until George Lucas committed the greatest sin in the history of cinema in my book. He took Han Solo, he pants him for all the world to see, then he turned him around, atomic wedgied him, ripped his heart, which represented all that was good and great about Star Wars, out of his chest, defecated on it, threw it in a meat grinder, then lit it on fire and flushed it down the toilet... when he made... Greeto... shoot... first. Why GEORGE, WHY? How could you do that to me? Han WASN'T a decent guy. Not at that point. He was a scoundrel out for number ONE. That just sucked.

As for the new movies, I love light saber battles. Sorry, I just do. I loved the light saber battle with Darth Maul and Jinn and Kenobi. I loved the light saber battle between Kenobi and Skywalker.
    I am a huge Star Wars fan. I don't mind the Ewoks or even Jar-Jar. However, I act like this scene doesn't exist...not because I hate the thought of Greedo shooting first, but because it looks so FAKE. CGI Han twitches slightly to one side to avoid the blaster fire. Are you kidding me? Not to mention, how good is a bounty hunter that can't hit a point-blank target. I just fast forward through this scene to avoid the discomfort.

On a lighter note, I also loved Episodes I-III. The Darth-Maul lightsaber duel is definitely the best part about Episode I. Seeing Yoda in action for the first time in his duel with Darth Tyranus almost made me lose control of my bodily functions Episode III was good all around, although I found myself wishing that Anakin would eventually change his mind Maybe I am just a mindless Star Wars geek, but I wouldn't want it any other way.
    Last edited by trey; 05-07-2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Changed Count D to Darth Tyranus to avoid being a wanker :)

I didn't like the cheesy love scenes and the long talks between Anakin and Padme. Those drove me nuts.

As for hating the remake of the bar scene in episode IV, I bought the DVD version of episodes IV-VI that include the original theatrical releases as extras. They don't sound or look QUITE as good as the newer versions, but they are the movies as I remembered and loved them, so it's TOTALLY worth it to me.

I am stunned by the apparent affection towards the new Star Wars films. The third one was barely acceptable, but the others could not have been more wooden, more stilted, or any more heartless. There was more personality and charm in ONE Han Solo smirk than in all three of the new films put together.

Sorry, I'm a Star Wars homer. My dad took me to see the first one as my first ever movie theater movie when I was two. I made him take me back seven times. I LOVED that movie, and I have loved every Star Wars movie since. Looking back, it's not the greatest movie ever (there are ALL KINDS of funny goofs), but it's one of my favorite movies of all time anyway. It's definitely my favorite of the six, but I like them all for various reasons. I admit it, I have rose colored glasses when it comes to Star Wars. It's like crack to me, and I'm hooked.

See, the old ones still really work for me, because they are so funny, so charming, and so tongue-in-cheek. Sure the special effects might look cheesy, but they have so much charisma... the dignity of Alec Guiness, the genuine dorkiness of Mark Hamill, Darth Vader when he was a badass, Boba Fett when he was a badass... Peter Damned Cushing, for gods sakes! And to top it all off... Harrison Ford is in the movies! Yeah, Indiana Jones in the role that ALLOWED Indiana Jones to exist.

I don't know... I just felt like the new ones were painfully shallow and lacked any charisma, any acting... I felt absolutely no affection or draw to any character, I felt like the Anakin love affair, which should have had such heart and such HEAT, was empty... I felt like the action scenes were lifeless for all of their explosions... even Ewan McGregor, who normally is such a fantastic actor, I found boring and wooden. And Yoda? While him having a light saber was somewhat interesting, I liked him better as a pacifist Buddha type.

Am I totally alone on this?

Oh, come on, Yoda had to have a set at some point, and it was fun to see him flex 'em. I mean, come on, he even said it in ROTJ "When 900 years you reach, look so good, you will not." He would have been out there trying to kick Vader's booty if he'd been about 300 years younger, and you know it. It was a forced buddha pacificism.

BTW, a few funny Star Wars remixes from the Tube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5blbv...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utGXF5orynk

Ah ha! And...?