So what does the Team do over the summer?

Just curious. Does anyone know what jobs/camps/summer school/etc. activities our players are doing over the summer? I know their lives are so different from other students in some ways that I am curious if that holds true over the summers.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Devil View Post
    Just curious. Does anyone know what jobs/camps/summer school/etc. activities our players are doing over the summer? I know their lives are so different from other students in some ways that I am curious if that holds true over the summers.
    Most of them take summer school courses at Duke as far as I know and stay in Durham. Almost all p-frosh basketball players take summer school courses before their freshman year as well. But, it's on a case-by-case basis. Last summer, Nolan Smith was in Philly working out with Michael Beasley and DeAndre Jordan. Lee Melchionni, in the summer after his junior year, had an internship with Credit Suisse in Manhattan. They play pick up games with each other and others throughout the summer months, stay in shape, lift weights, work on particular facets of their games, etc. I'm not sure what the players on this team are doing this summer, though, if that was your main question.

It's pretty common for players to intern on Wall Street if they're caught up academically. Brian Davis was a well-publicized example, but it's usually at least a couple of folks a year.

Wall Street

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    It's pretty common for players to intern on Wall Street if they're caught up academically. Brian Davis was a well-publicized example, but it's usually at least a couple of folks a year.
    Are there internships on Wall Street this year?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Nope. Goldman (as an example) supposedly hired like only one or two Duke seniors this year for employment after graduation...But maybe they're getting interns as cheap labor, but I doubt it. Definitely not the same as it was just a few years ago...I also don't think it's "common" for basketball players to intern on Wall Street. It's certainly not rare and there are several examples, but it's not like >50% of players are interning on wall street each summer. The ones that do it, do it only before senior year the vast majority of the time. Most players take summer school and work on their game.

Singler

Last year Singler organized a b-ball tournament for youth in his hometown of Medford, Oregon. It was a really big success, everyone loves him out there. I'd assume he's doing it again this year.

Also I understand the players often run pickup against guys from UNC, sometimes with alumni from either program who are in the area. Wouldn't that be a blast to watch?

There are always internships on Wall Street if you're connected. Paying someone two or three grand a month for three months is pocket change for them, as opposed to, oh, some bond trader whose base salary is several hundred grand. And John Mack for one is a pretty big basketball fan, I understand.

It's not always the headline guys, either. I ran into former a basketball player recently who went into a financial career... he was pretty far down the depth chart when he played, but he's done OK since then. (I'd rather not get more specific, as it was work, but just illustrating a point.)

Quote Originally Posted by 78Devil View Post
    My understanding is they'll be spending most of their time reading the John Wall Recruitment thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    yep, they were all VP's last year...

Well, come what may, I sure hope each gets time to go home and cut the grass at their parent's house and flake out on the den couch and generally lay-about and do nothing too important. At least for a little while....

I used to work with the Duke BBall summer camp; a lot of current players were around the gyms, and hanging out/catching up with the former players around to help with the camp.

Well...

from what I hear several will first have to get over their hangovers from the LDOC, but that should still leave them plenty of time to work on their individual games. The good news is that the person taken away by the paramedics was a girlfriend and not a player...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Most of them take summer school courses at Duke as far as I know and stay in Durham. Almost all p-frosh basketball players take summer school courses before their freshman year as well. But, it's on a case-by-case basis. Last summer, Nolan Smith was in Philly working out with Michael Beasley and DeAndre Jordan. Lee Melchionni, in the summer after his junior year, had an internship with Credit Suisse in Manhattan. They play pick up games with each other and others throughout the summer months, stay in shape, lift weights, work on particular facets of their games, etc. I'm not sure what the players on this team are doing this summer, though, if that was your main question.
    Pretty much sums it up, though I'm surprised to see no mention of the "nike skills" camps. In the past there had been one for PGs, SGs, Wing Forwards, and Big Men. They are all branded around an NBA player, and I remember Paulus went to the Steve Nash camp, Zoubs to the Amar'e big man camp, Gerald to the wing forward camp (where he and chase budinger were top dawgs) and Scheyer to the ___ SG camp.

Just checked and it looks like whereas in the past it was a combo of the top HS and early career college players, its now just high schoolers:

http://inside.nikebasketball.com/eliteyouth/benefits/

Also, I think its up to the players, but the staff usually only "makes" (or maybe strongly encourages) them stick around for one summer session, usually the second one I think, and many of them go home for a month-6 weeks during the first summer session to see their families, etc., which is something they don't get to do as much as regular students b/c they are in season and usually playing game during most of the school breaks (thxgiving, xmas, AND spring break)
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 04-29-2009 at 07:22 PM.

USAbasketball - World University and U19

USAbasketball will field teams at the World University games in July and U19 championships also in July. I would be surprised if one or two current Devils (Singler, Scheyer) weren't invited to try out for the World University USA team while I would expect one or both of the incoming big men (Kelly, Plumlee) would get invites to try out for the U19 USA team.

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph...wug_head_coach

http://www.usabasketball.com/calendar.php

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    USAbasketball will field teams at the World University games in July and U19 championships also in July. I would be surprised if one or two current Devils (Singler, Scheyer) weren't invited to try out for the World University USA team while I would expect one or both of the incoming big men (Kelly, Plumlee) would get invites to try out for the U19 USA team.

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph...wug_head_coach

http://www.usabasketball.com/calendar.php

gw67
    Scheyer is also playing in the 18th Maccabiah Games in Israel from July 12-23, 2009. Bruce Pearl is coaching the US team and Doug Gottlieb (!) is an assistant coach. ASU player Derek Glasser and an UNH player are the only other college players representing the US. The rest (all four of them) are pros in Europe or Israel. So, he'll get plenty of PT with a roster of only 7; plus, Jon is probably the best player on the team anyways. I think he could play both as it appears the U19 USA Basketball tournament ends July 12 and then continues July 23. That certainly would be a full schedule for Scheyer.