View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films of the summer (in terms of ticket sales)?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • X-Men: Wolverine

39 54.93%
  • Star Trek

54 76.06%
  • Angels & Demons

29 40.85%
  • Terminator: Salvation

29 40.85%
  • Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian

11 15.49%
  • Up

22 30.99%
  • Land of the Lost

4 5.63%
  • The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3

0 0%
  • Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

57 80.28%
  • Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

22 30.99%
  • Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

69 97.18%
  • Public Enemies

4 5.63%
  • Funny People

0 0%
  • Inglourious Basterds

0 0%
  • Other (list in your post)

2 2.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I picked Ice Age 3 as my dark horse since I wanted an animated/kids pick. Maybe I should have gone w/ Up instead.

Star Trek, Transformers, HP and Terminator are all legit contenders, but who knows - I may only end up w/ 3 out of 5.

All I know is that Harry Potter is a lock. There are other likely contenders, but nothing nearly as much a lock as Potter. That is why 69 out of 71 of us voted for it.

The worst performing Potter film, Prisoner of Azkaban, made $249 million-- this one could do $25 million less than that and still comfortably make the top 5.

--Jason "the average Potter film makes $282 million" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 05-12-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Star Trek!

I saw Star Trek last night, and let me tell you it was amazing!

I never watched the show for more than 5 minutes at a time at my granddads house (I'm a little young to have actually watched it), and to be honest it seemed a little dull and dry.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was better than SW: Episode III, not that the two can be compared THAT easily

Star Trek all the way. Just got back from the show and it was stupendous.
    WOW!!!

H.P.

The movie that makes the most money will probably be Harry Potter. Each movie brings in nearly 300 million and with it being one of the last movies, I continue to see this movie raking in the cash.

I think two very prominent films are about to fall by the wayside.

Angels and Demons opened with $48 million. That is a good opening, but most boxoffice watchers had expected something in the mid-upper 50s. More importantly, films that open with less than $50 million don't usually get to $200 million in total boxoffice (which is generally right where the bottom film in the top 5 of summer will be). It takes "long legs" to get to $200 million from a $48 million opening. Children's flicks (especially animated ones) tend to have long legs, but adult dramas usually do not (Titanic being the huge exception). Angels and Demons has gotten better reviews than DaVinci Code, but I don't think the reviews have been so good that it will generate the kind of long-term business it will take to get to $200 million. I think this one comes up short.

Wolverine did $14.8 million this weekend and is up to $151 million in total boxoffice. It was down 44% from last weekend, which is not bad and certainly better than the disastrous 69% drop it had last weeekend. I had been all ready to write Wolverine off after that 69% plunge, but if it can only lose 45% of its audience each weekend for the next couple weekends then it may make it to $200 million. I sorta doubt it though, especially with Terminator coming out this week to steal the Wolverine audience. I suspect that Wolverine is going to stall out around $180 million which will probably not quite get it into the top 5.

As an aside, I think we can now pencil Star Trek into the top 5 for sure. It did $43 million, this past weekend (almost enough to hold onto #1 over Angels). It only fell off 42% from last week, which is fabulous for a sci-fi, event flick and shows that word of mouth and strong reviews should keep this film generating good boxoffice numbers for a while. It is currently at $147 million in total boxoffice and I would expect it get to $220+ million fairly easily.

--Jason "big weekend coming up with Terminator Salvation and Night at the Museum -- our first weekend with two big name titles at once" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke #33 View Post
    The movie that makes the most money will probably be Harry Potter. Each movie brings in nearly 300 million and with it being one of the last movies, I continue to see this movie raking in the cash.
    Definitely. The one thing that annoys me about those movies is that they've almost stopped wearing the robes. I get that the actors have said they don't like them, but that's part of what makes the school and the movies special and different. Come on, they're paying you millions, you can put on the darn robes. It's one of the things that I, at least, love as a fan. Maybe I'm the only one. Maybe I'm not though, since the third movie is the one I think somebody said did the worst, and it's the one where they wear them the least, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke #33 View Post
    Plus the fact that it was originally supposed to come out last November. We've been waiting a LONG time for Half-Blood Prince. Hope it doesn't disappoint. The trailers so far look awesome!

Memorial Day Weekend

The 4-day holiday weekend is not done yet, but a few things have become clear...

1) Terminator Salvation is going to struggle to get to $200 million. It did $56 million in its first 4 days (opened on Thursday), which is fine, but not quite what one typically sees from a $200 million flick. Especially when you consider that T4 got trounced by Night at the Museum 2 on Friday and Saturday (it was $5 million behind each day).

2) Star Trek is a lock for the top 5 of summer. It continues to have pretty good "legs" doing $21 million this weekend and raising its summer total to $183 million. It will likely cross the magic $200 million mark next weekend.

3) Angels and Demons will not be in the Top 5. It did $21 million this weekend, a drop of 53% from its opening weekend, which is really bad when you consider that this is a holiday weekend and the Sunday numbers should be better than usual as a result. Angels is currently at $81 million in total boxoffice through its first 2 weekends. No way it gets to $200 million at this pace-- no chance. In fact, I bet it does not even get to $150 million.

4) Night at the Museum may be a contender. It did $53.5 million on its opening weekend and held up very nicely from Friday to Sunday -- meaning it might have decent "legs." Kids flicks often hold up well so I am not ruling Museum out of the running for the top 5.

5) Ordinarily, I would be telling you that Wolverine is just not going to make the top 5. It did about 8 million this weekend and stands at $163 million total. It is going to get to about $180 million, but not all the way to $200 M. But, I am starting to wonder what else will get to $200 million. Sure, Harry Potter and Star Trek and a couple others will likely end up there. But, is it possible that $180 million could get Wolverine 5th place? It is a longshot, but it could happen.

More tomorrow-- when we have the final weekend figures.

--Jason "obsess much?" Evans

Obviously no where close to contenders for this poll, but now that I've seen Star Trek and Terminator, the two remaining movies that I'm most excited for are The Descent 2 and District-9.

Yup, Terminator is not going to get there.

After getting a head start with a Thursday opening (in which it did $13 million), it got crushed by Night at the Museum again on Monday. This time, it fell $6 million short of the kid-friendly Museum after losing by $5 million on Saturday and Sunday (they basically tied on Friday). As a result, the Memorial Day weekend ends with Museum $3 million ahead of Terminator and showing a lot more momentum. I suppose that the weekday numbers could help Terminator, because kids don't tend to go to the movies mid-week when they are still in school, but I just have a hard time seeing Terminator as a bigger film than Museum at this point. so, the only way Terminator makes the top 5 is if Museum also makes the top 5 and I just have a hard time seeing both of them in there.

--Jason "up next... the standings!" Evans

We now have enough days of summer and enough big summer films out to make it worthwhile to show the standings in our little race to the top 5. Here are the contenders and where they stand right now (as well as how much they earned on Memorial Day, which is a good indication of how strong they are still going).

1. Star Trek - $191 million (6.6 million on Memorial Day)
    2. X-Men: Wolverine - $165 million (2.1 mil)
    3. Angels and Demons - $87 million (5.9 mil)
    4. Night at Museum 2 - $70 million (16.5 mil)
    5. Terminator: Salvation - $67 million (10.8 mil)

Next weekend brings Up, which will provide huuuuge competition for Museum but should not affect the sci-fi flicks all that much. Then again, if Up sells out a lot, Museum could capture some of the spillover audience. It is not like a family with kids that cannot see Up are going to go see Terminator: Salvation instead

Once we get a sense for how big Up will be and how well Terminator and Museum fare in their 2nd weekends, I think the top 5 will really start to crystalize.

--Jason "we are about to enter a little bit of a lull in June in terms of blockbusters, I think" Evans

I saw Night at the Museum this weekend with my kids. I thought they tried to do too much in too short a period of time (they seemed enamored with their own special effects) and that kept it from being as good as it might have been otherwise.

On the other hand, it is rare that we can find a movei that two fifty year olds, a 15 year old and a 10 year old can all watch togeterher. Either the themes are too adult for the 10 year old, or the plot is too insipid for the 16 year old and the adults).

The two Museum movies and the two National Treasure movies are really appreciated by me. Not because they are great movies, but because at least all four of us can go and enjoy them. That seems to be a rear quality in movies these days.

There are a bunch of reviews out for Up at this point. So far, they seem very good. Check out this negative review though:

http://www.nypress.com/article-19876...-pixarism.html

By the end of it, I was just laughing. It's certainly possible I won't like Up, but it sure won't be for any of the reasons this guy brings up.

What a pretentious dink. Man is he full of himself. He basically spends his entire review saying "I'm smarter than you cause I don't like Pixar movies, and you're a dummy if you like ANYTHING they've ever made, cause they're ALL the same." These kinds of critics annoy me no end. This makes me want to like Up even more.

Now I really want to see the film. This reviewer really needs to get over himself.

That dude probably eschewed finger paints as a kid, what with their mindnumbingly predictable color scheme and all.

Jason: Public Enemies?

Jason, what are your thoughts on Public Enemies? I saw a trailer/preview over the weekend and it looks like it could be really good.

(Side note... I would SWEAR I posted this last night, but apparently I'm losing my mind... or I hit preview instead of submit... )

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Jason, what are your thoughts on Public Enemies? I saw a trailer/preview over the weekend and it looks like it could be really good.

(Side note... I would SWEAR I posted this last night, but apparently I'm losing my mind... or I hit preview instead of submit... )
    Well, I clearly think it is a significant film because I included it in the list of movies you could vote for as being one of the top 5 of the summer. It has a tremendously strong cast-- led by big stars Johnny Depp and Christian Bale -- and director Michael Mann has both a strong reputation and a track record of making high quality movies that are often hits. As a big added plus, it has a story that is likely to engage the public because everyone has heard of John Dillinger and Pretty Boy Floyd but their stories are not so well known that people will feel like they already know how the movie turns out.

I think this will be one of the bigger adult dramas of the summer. I have not heard much word of mouth on it yet, so I do not know if it will be any good. Judging from Michael Mann's history (Miami Vice, Collateral), it will likely be dark. That does not bother me though. I have plans to see it, for sure.

--Jason "the trailer is awesome... but most trailers are" Evans

It might not be anywhere near the top 5, but if you're looking for a good, scary movie w/ great "boo!" moments - Drag Me To Hell is perfect. By far the best scary movie I've seen in awhile. Well, scary w/ a little bit of funny mixed in (go figure, it's Sam Raimi)