Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Realism

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I agree that Kyle and Jon will score somewhere around 15-20 pts per game. Going on the premise that Wall does not come to Duke, I would say that improvement in several players must take place for Duke to be top ten nationally. First Elliot needs to get better in shooting the ball from the perimeter in order to be able to drive to the basket. He also needs much work on using his right hand. I think his freethrow shooting will get better. We need improvement and consistency from Nolan. Play without thinking so much. We need Zoubek to improve over the summer as much as he did this year. And we need some production from one or two of these guys; MP1, Mason, Kelly, Lance. Like you have stated, if we don't land Wall I don't see us being a top scoring team next year without some big improvements from some key players. However I think we will get that improvement and be a top ten team. Go Duke!
    For next season we have elite players in Scheyer and Singler. Henderson would be in the elite category but his draft status remains unknown. Beyond that we could be short at the guard position with Smith and Williams, who both should make substantial improvements in their games. There is a further unknown in the recruiting area with either Wall or Bledsoe being targets. If Henderson goes, one of these two will be essential just from a numbers standpoint.

At the front line positions we have Thomas and Zoubek, but neither is in the elite category and unless Thomas can gain 20 pounds he has little chance of major improvement. From what we saw of Miles Plumlee, he has a lot of potential and may be used a lot next season. Czyz has a long way to go but hass the body and athleticism, so who knows.

Resting our hope on Mason Plumlee as a freshman is a little optimistic. He looks good but should only be expected to contribute in small ways to the team. Kelly looks like a sub for Singler. While Singler may have to fill in at small forward at times.

It doesn't sound like a dominant team, just a nice team like this year.

Best scenario - Wall comes, Henderson stays, EWill improves his offense, Mason Plumlee does better than expected for a freshman and Kelly becomes a solid backup for Singler.

Worst scenario - Neither Wall nor Bledoe comes, Henderson leaves and Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly play like most freshmen.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    For next season we have elite players in Scheyer and Singler. Henderson would be in the elite category but his draft status remains unknown. Beyond that we could be short at the guard position with Smith and Williams, who both should make substantial improvements in their games. There is a further unknown in the recruiting area with either Wall or Bledsoe being targets. If Henderson goes, one of these two will be essential just from a numbers standpoint.
    What is your criteria for an elite player? I think Jon is a very good college player. I don't know if a player who didn't make any of the All-ACC teams or is not likely to be an NBA draft pick is an elite player. Maybe good to very good. And there is nothing wrong with that. Kudos to Jon for all that he has become. But that would leave Duke with one elite player for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    What is your criteria for an elite player? I think Jon is a very good college player. I don't know if a player who didn't make any of the All-ACC teams or is not likely to be an NBA draft pick is an elite player. Maybe good to very good. And there is nothing wrong with that. Kudos to Jon for all that he has become. But that would leave Duke with one elite player for next year.
    Just talking semantics here, but Jon was MVP of the ACC Tournament; his play over the last part of the season (except for the Villanova game, unfortunately) was as good as anyone on our roster.

I consider him to be comparable to Kyle as an all-around threat. Again, might be splitting hairs here, but they both should be excellent next year.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Im not that familiar with Kansas and I'm not really that impressed, so what am I missing? Collins and Aldrich are really good but what is there after that? They play good D and have some length but I don't think that is enough to be a title contender. I would take UNC over them. UNC has enough to throw at Collins and Aldrich to shut them down, with much more talent to spare.

MSU and KY (with Wall) would be my early favorites. MSU loses Suton and Walton but I think they have some tough, talented frontcourt players that will lessen that blow. And I think Lucas looks special. Throw in the athletic Roe, Morgan, and Summers and they will be a tough matchup.

KY has Meeks, Patterson 6-8, Cousins 6-10, and Orton 6-9. If they add Wall to what is probably the best frontcourt in the country, they are big and athletic. Outside shooting might be a little questionable but I like their athletiscm and frontcourt.

Kansas went 14-2 and won the Big XII and should have beaten Michigan State in the tourney to get to an elite eight. Kansas started two sophomores, two freshmen and a junior. I expect that group to get better and it's looking like KU will lose no one who played any significant minutes <fingers crossed>.

Kansas will also add an athletic combo guard (Elijah Johnson - RSCI 21), an aggressive power forward (Thomas Robinson - RSCI 23), along with picking up Jeff Withey, a 6-11 center, who will be eiligible in December as a transfer from the Arizona mess (2008 RSCI 27).

KU has also apparently jettisoned a couple of kids via transfer to clear cap room for one or more of Xavier Henry, Lance Stephenson, and Daniel Orton. Assuming Kansas gets one the two wings, we should be able to run out a decent minor league team.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    KU has also apparently jettisoned a couple of kids via transfer to clear cap room...
    Maybe Duke needs to clear "cap room" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I tend to be one of type to totally discredit preseason polls, especially this early. With that being said, the sporting news has unc at #7 and Duke at #9 next year. And that is assuming G stays! Their list looks like this:

1) Syracuse
    2) Kansas
    3) Michigan State
    4) Kentucky
    5) USC
    6) Xavier
    7) unc
    8) Texas
    9) Duke
    10) Purdue

Someone is sippin' the UK cool-aid. These rankings make no sense. Xavier loses 2 starters and their coach. Kentucky has Cousins (WOOOO!!!) sarcasm. I don't see really how these rankings were made.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    Kansas went 14-2 and won the Big XII and should have beaten Michigan State in the tourney to get to an elite eight. Kansas started two sophomores, two freshmen and a junior. I expect that group to get better and it's looking like KU will lose no one who played any significant minutes <fingers crossed>.

Kansas will also add an athletic combo guard (Elijah Johnson - RSCI 21), an aggressive power forward (Thomas Robinson - RSCI 23), along with picking up Jeff Withey, a 6-11 center, who will be eiligible in December as a transfer from the Arizona mess (2008 RSCI 27).

KU has also apparently jettisoned a couple of kids via transfer to clear cap room for one or more of Xavier Henry, Lance Stephenson, and Daniel Orton. Assuming Kansas gets one the two wings, we should be able to run out a decent minor league team.
    I think they were just missing a really good wing and it sounds like they are going to get that. So, yeah, I'm starting to see how they could be a title contender. It was definately impressive that they finshed 10th this past season after losing 7 players the year before.

Maybe its just the time of year with all the possible NBA defections (despite only 2 rounds in the draft) but it seems that next year is going to be a down year in college basketball.

What teams look like title contenders?

• Kansas for sure.
    • KY? If they can get in touch with some more agents.
    • UNC? Just from a talent standpoint, especially if they can land Wall.
    • MSU? They did lose Suton and Walton but have a decent core retuning. I don't think MSU adds any stud recruits tough.
    • Duke? If they lose Henderson and don't get Wall they will have the same problems next year but worse if Henderson leaves. But if the pieces fall the right way Duke could be there knocking at the door.
    • Butler? They finshed 20th and didn't lose anyone but do they have title caliber talent?

Who else?

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Resting our hope on Mason Plumlee as a freshman is a little optimistic. He looks good but should only be expected to contribute in small ways to the team. Kelly looks like a sub for Singler. While Singler may have to fill in at small forward at times.

It doesn't sound like a dominant team, just a nice team like this year.
    I'm sticking with worst-case scenario, i.e., no G/Wall/Bledsoe. In that case, definitely not a dominant team. But looking to next year, it's not at all obvious that there are any dominant teams on paper. Throughout this season, in contrast, there seemed to have been 3 likely dominant teams: UNC, UConn, maybe Pitt. UL was too inconsistent, Okla not deep enough, Mich St a late arrival. Next season, there's no obvious "wow" team, though it seems to me that Kansas, and only Kansas, could be, and should be #1 preseason in most lists.

I think Duke can be more than "nice." I don't "rest my hope" on MP2, but I do expect substantial contributions from both MPs. I think Singler is the conf POY next year, an absolutely superb player. I don't know that Scheyer can play much better than this year, but if he improves his scoring just a bit, he's a very, very valuable player, much more than "nice."

Speaking of which, Nolan cannot remain "nice," even literally, if Duke is to be more than "nice." He has talent, but potential won't suffice next year. He and EWill have to be confident, aggressive players at both ends of the court.
    Last edited by -jk; 04-10-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Meant MP2, not MP1, in 2d paragraph (fixed ital tag -jk)

Sports Illustrated Laugher

Absurd ratings this early, but SI added this unintentional laugh while rating Duke #6 (assuming Henderson is gone):

"Sophomore Elliot Williams should flourish in his first full season at the point."

Maybe they have some inside info.

good article