The Big East - Wow and History

The Big East certainly is very strong. Villanova took it too us. The Pittsburgh-Nova game was a war. UConnvicts are in the FF with Nova. Louisville may join them tomorrow.

There is talk that the Big East is just a beast of a conference. Super Strong.

In 1985 the Big East got 3 teams into the FF and Nova won it all. Then there was talk that it was a beast of a conference.

In the next 9 seasons Duke went to 7 FF's and won 2 NC.

SoCal

Go NOVA! Beat the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    The Big East certainly is very strong. Villanova took it too us. The Pittsburgh-Nova game was a war. UConnvicts are in the FF with Nova. Louisville may join them tomorrow.

There is talk that the Big East is just a beast of a conference. Super Strong.

In 1985 the Big East got 3 teams into the FF and Nova won it all. Then there was talk that it was a beast of a conference.

In the next 9 seasons Duke went to 7 FF's and won 2 NC.

SoCal
    I doubt we'll be seeing any more delusional editorials mocking the Big East as an "uber conference" for the next few weeks.

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

You got it wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Go NOVA! Beat the holes.
    Go Sooners! Beat the holes.

Grey Devil

To a great degree The Big East Conference has the ACC to thank for it's strength. The ACC stole the BE weak basketball sisters to try to strengthen the ACC football conference. Now look at ACC football - ugh! It's still terrible.

Now look at The Big East.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    To a great degree The Big East Conference has the ACC to thank for it's strength. The ACC stole the BE weak basketball sisters to try to strengthen the ACC football conference. Now look at ACC football - ugh! It's still terrible.

Now look at The Big East.
    The Big East lost two mid/lower-tier teams (Miami and BC) and a bottom-feeder (VT) and replaced it with Cincy, Louisville, Marquette, USF, and DePaul. So really, they got two bottom-feeders, one mid/lower-tier team, and two good/great programs (Marquette may fall off without Crean though).

So it's not like the Big East swept out the bad and replaced it with good. They still have Rutgers, Seton Hall, and St John's, and they've added two more bad teams. They just added 1-2 good programs, maintained their top programs, and benefited from the fact that Villanova and Pitt rose to prominence.

I think the bigger problem is that they've gotten good coaches. They had Boeheim and Calhoun already, added Thompson, Huggins, Pitino, Wright, Howland/Dixon, and Crean (now gone). Coaching quality is way up in that conference. Meanwhile, we still have K, Williams, and Williams, but the other ACC schools haven't done a good job of identifying big-time coaches to fill the shoes of Cremins et al.

The Big East can also thank its proximity to the I-95 corridor running from D.C. to Boston as a major recruiting advantage. There is a ton of talent in that part of the country because of the high population. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the ACC used to have better luck recruiting guys from up there. Ga.Tech under Bobby Cremins certainly did. There must be something in the water up there too because some of those Big East guys look like they are in their 30's.