Calling the Geek Squad: What About Refurbished Electronics (Specifically Blu-Ray)?

I came across this deal today for a Sony Blu-Ray player. I don't have a dvd player, so I'm considering it, but I'm having a hard time considering a refurbished machine... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I came across this deal today for a Sony Blu-Ray player. I don't have a dvd player, so I'm considering it, but I'm having a hard time considering a refurbished machine... thoughts?
    My only experience with a refurbished product is the Gateway laptop I bought 2 years ago from Tiger Direct. Refurbished equipment usually is fully repaired to manufacturer's specs and performance, but have a very limited warranty, at least from Tiger Direct (90 days). I've written about this before, because 2 months after purchase I dropped it and the battery broke out of it - not covered under warranty, but fortunately I had purchased it on my Amex card and they paid the $244 repair bill under their buyers protection plan (I believe I titled that thread "Amex Rocks!" Yes, I did and you can read that thread here http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ght=Amex+Rocks ).

Anyway, it appears that your link is directly to Sony, so the unit should work properly when you get it - you would think/hope that their factory repair folks are pretty good. I would purchase their extended service plan for at least the 2 year period for only $20. That is pretty darn reasonable (so is the 3 years for $30 option) and it should cover you if anything goes wrong. The unit should work trouble free way beyond two years.

Read the specs and reviews on the product and if it meets your needs, buy it. The price seems right; looking at Costco and Sam's Club web sites prices start at $200 to $230 for new equipment, and a Sony unit is $278 at Sam's http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=406651 . The reviews on both the Sony site and the Sam's site mention the unit is slow to load. I don't own a Blue Ray player and can't comment on that.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

A part of Ozzie's post touched on this. Sometimes you can buy refurbished electronics AND the extended two-year warranty for less money that a new model without the warranty. When that is the case I usually consider it a great deal. However, if the cost of the refurb and the extended warranty is more than the cost of a new one I stay away.

Good player, good price. I'd buy it with an extended warranty.

The Panasonic DMP-BD35 is considered (by most reviewers) better. It's discontinued but may still be available at a discounted price in your area. IIRC, I paid around $200 for one in December.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The reviews on both the Sony site and the Sam's site mention the unit is slow to load. I don't own a Blue Ray player and can't comment on that.
    This is a blu-ray issue (very large amount of data to upload), not unique to this player.

As an aside, connect your blu-ray player with an HDMI cable costing less than $15. There is no longer a need to spend big bucks on connectors.