Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Insomnia: whats your cure?

During this "wonderful" time of insomnia for me, I was just thinking....
    What are some of the more homeopathic remedies for insomnia. Then I thought, as I do heavily when insomnia hits, what do the folks at DBR do when insomnia strikes?

Well, my friend tokes up to handle her chronic insomnia.

I'm pregnant and up at really strange times, like now. So far, I've just rolled with it. I work from home so I feel I have a bit more buffer with the insomnia--I don't have to drive sleepy and I can sleep as necessary.

This is probably unhelpful, but I'm up and no one is around--

Best wishes--my friend with real chronic insomnia has tried some prescription meds, but none of them have worked for her. So depending on how you feel about the green herb, it might be homeopathic.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    Then I thought, as I do heavily when insomnia hits, what do the folks at DBR do when insomnia strikes?
    We post... we post often.

[QUOTE=bluebutton;274391]Well, my friend tokes up to handle her chronic insomnia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    We post... we post often.
    I try to avoid the green leafy (illegal) stuff but definitely look more into the natural (legal) homeopathic stuff instead of stuffing myself with meds from the good 'ol docs.

And I was 'gunna' post and post often with all sorts of hilarious and fun topics of conversations too but opted not in part due to worry that some mod with a grudge against bald people would object, or perhaps more sensitive folk get miffed at other topics I was going to create (to be named later... I just may still post).

In the end of course, as it always seems to happen, I fell asleep about an hour before the alarm clock went off this morning. So I am doing well for about 3 hours of sleep.

reading-my journals will/should/could put anyone to sleep

watching the Weather Channel works wonders for me

My aunt's phD paper on Old Field Succession is a classic. It is meticulous, thorough and exhaustive. I can't get through more than five or six pages of it without nodding off.

Seriously though, when I can't sleep it's usually because I am worrying over some problem or other. I've found that I can do a memory dump. I write down what I'm worrying about on a note pad and lay it on the table by my bed. I then find I can sleep with the problem down on paper and ready to be uploaded in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    reading-my journals will/should/could put anyone to sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    My aunt's phD paper on Old Field Succession is a classic. It is meticulous, thorough and exhaustive. I can't get through more than five or six pages of it without nodding off.
    I have no doubt either of these would work for me.

I too read when I'm having a bout of insomnia. It may take me an hour to fall asleep, sometimes I get pretty involved in the book, but it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I have no doubt either of these would work for me.

I too read when I'm having a bout of insomnia. It may take me an hour to fall asleep, sometimes I get pretty involved in the book, but it works for me.
    Come to think of it, there are several things I do.

The first is turn the TV and try to fall asleep to that, which usually works.

The second, a peanut butter and jelly fold over (one piece of bread) and a glass of milk.

Reading is the third thing.

Not homeopathic, but it works:

go and buy otc melatonin, 3mg. take ONE about 1 hour before you'd like to fall asleep. couple this with no caffeine after 6 pm, and that should work.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    Not homeopathic, but it works:

go and buy otc melatonin, 3mg. take ONE about 1 hour before you'd like to fall asleep. couple this with no caffeine after 6 pm, and that should work.

dth.
    That's a good idea. How is it not homeopathic? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Come to think of it, there are several things I do.

The first is turn the TV and try to fall asleep to that, which usually works.

The second, a peanut butter and jelly fold over (one piece of bread) and a glass of milk.

Reading is the third thing.
    'Cam,
    You are right, part of my problem was that my mind was racing with a ton of thoughts (plus I was just hot and uncomfy). Unfortunately, writing down all the thoughts would take hours (I tried it before in late '08 and it just wasn't pretty! lol).
    But I like your idea of reading something that is quite mind numbing. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Devil Deac... weather channel... of course! Why did I not think of that!
    I used to do that often and it does indeed work like a charm most of the time.

DukesTheHeat... great set of ideas, I may indeed try that!

Tilly...
    Your three pronged attack on insomnia is great and things I must try. Except the TV part, I think perhaps I have the TV on a little too much! I'll trade it for the radio (classical music or soft jazz).

And you are also right about the peanut butter fold over, or at least feed ones face something! I did that (along with a nice glass of my soy milk), along with a steaming hot shower, and it worked out well. I think that contributed to me getting 3-4 hours of sleep last night versus 2 or none.
    Last edited by knights68; 03-19-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added som ething

Willie Nelson's Stardust album works for me. I somehow trained myself to relax with this - I can even think the start of the album in my head and that helps.

I just showed my age didn't I? Who thinks in albums these days? (rhetorical)

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    I'll trade it for the radio (classical music or soft jazz).
    Better yet, one of Bill Leslie's CD's can help put to you sleep. When I find my CD, it's still packed, I'll loan it you.

turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green been casserole, congealed cranberry salad and a recliner chair.

Oh wait, that's not until November.

turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green been casserole, congealed cranberry salad and a recliner chair.

You forgot the football portion of this cure.

I think knights68's GF can do this for him. And, he doesn't have to wait until November.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    You forgot the football portion of this cure.
    You are correct. Add the Deeeetroit Lions to that list above.

Never mind. You said football...

You are correct. Add the Deeeetroit Lions to that list above.

Never mind. You said football...
    You are right - on both counts. Add the Lions but take away the football. ;-)

I cover the display on my clock. I find htat when I'm not sleeping I watch the clock and being to stress over the not sleeping..."I'll only get X amount of sleep...I'll only get X-10 minutes of sleep...and so on.

If I can't see the time, I can't do that. Herbal tea, boring TV (weather chanel is great!) also help. I've been known to leave myself voice mails at 3 am if I wake up thinking about something and can't fall back to sleep since it is on my mind.

Now and again a change of venue helps - I'll move to our (comfy) sofa in the living room (and set an alarm on my cellphone so I don't worry about not hearing my alarm from the bedroom)