Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 98
  1. #1

    Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale Argue

    Anybody catch Jay Bilas and Dickie V arguing on ESPN at five after seven EST?

    Jay Bilas came across as a smug, arrogant [jerk].
    Last edited by JBDuke; 03-15-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: edited for language

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus000 View Post
    Anybody catch Jay Bilas and Dickie V arguing on ESPN at five after seven EST?

    Jay Bilas came across as a smug, arrogant [jerk].
    i disagree. so much of what comes out of bilas's mouth is nonsense but he was spot on in that argument. dickie v came across as an out-of-touch curmudgeon. how can any reasonable person believe that st mary's is the same team today that it was in the 1st half against gonzaga? mills still is not 100% and they aren't 1 of the top 34 teams. it sucks because with him at 100%, they clearly would be 1 of the top 34 but that's how it is.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 03-15-2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: edited quoted text

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    I thought Bilas was right. Viatle loses a lot of points for getting upset and saying "You guys are right and my opinion doesnt count." Childish.

    Bilas had a clear point - mid-majors must play top 20 teams out of conference.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    i disagree. so much of what comes out of bilas's mouth is nonsense but he was spot on in that argument. dickie v came across as an out-of-touch curmudgeon. how can any reasonable person believe that st mary's is the same team today that it was in the 1st half against gonzaga? mills still is not 100% and they aren't 1 of the top 34 teams. it sucks because with him at 100%, they clearly would be 1 of the top 34 but that's how it is.
    I think Dick came off looking silly. Jay had a sound argument Dick couldn't counter so Dick pulled a "I know you went to Duke" on him. Bilas and Digger called him on it too. Who would have thought Dukie V would say such a thing?

  5. #5
    Glad to see that you guys worship at the Altar of Jay like he worships at the Altar of UNC now.

    Jay might have had an argument, but he was pretty darn smug about it. I haven't liked Jay in about three years, and that was the last straw for me. I wish he'd hang up his shoes and go practice law full time.

  6. #6
    If I worked with Dick Vitale I would constantly be pissed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus000 View Post
    Glad to see that you guys worship at the Altar of Jay like he worships at the Altar of UNC now.

    Jay might have had an argument, but he was pretty darn smug about it. I haven't liked Jay in about three years, and that was the last straw for me. I wish he'd hang up his shoes and go practice law full time.
    huh? i prefaced my post with how much i don't like what bilas has to say. arguing a point well is smug to you? geesh. vilale also is wrong that mid majors cannot get games against bcs schools. they might but on the road or on neutral sites in early tournaments but they can get them. davidson, gonzaga and memphis all schedule well.

    i'm also glad that auburn and penn st didn't get in. they played horrific OOC schedules and rightly were penalized much like syracuse was last year.

  8. #8
    Oh, my. Forget Bilas vs. Vitale... did Bob Knight just say that women shouldn't be on the selection committee?! I really, really hope I misunderstood him.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Actually I just thought Bilas was right and annoyed because Vitale didnt have a point. Keep your rude and personal comments to a minimum, please.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Jay Bilas reads and posts on this board. If you disagree with him, say so - but don't type anything you would not actually say to the man's face. Internet courage is amusing.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Actually I just thought Bilas was right and annoyed because Vitale didnt have a point. Keep your rude and personal comments to a minimum, please.
    I agree. I like Coach Vitale, but he was not prepared to get into this argument with Jay Bilas. This was Mike Tyson vs. Michael Spinks.

  12. #12
    Each had their own arguments; I was suprised Dick pulled the "you went to Duke" and "my opinion doesn't matter." I'm sort of disappointed in that, but whatever happened I really like both of them.

  13. #13
    It was quite a strange exchange from the beginning. I think they must have been arguing about this earlier or maybe this was a continuation of a longer argument because Bilas seemed to start a little irritated. Maybe he is just tired of Vitale, but he is cut off Vitale in a rude way and his question, while valid was posed accusingly. Reese Davis did nothing to diffuse the situation. I think Vitale just felt he was being ganged up on and got defensive.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    I think Knight did say something like that about women. If that's what he meant, hilarious. You could see the guys in studio not knowing how to react. Not quite sure of his point.

    If I had to guess, I think he meant that these tournment committee people dont necessarily watch men;s basketball exclusively and are therefore not experts or qualified. Some watch women's, some men's, but none are experts. I think he was trying to say men's experts should pick men's brackets and women's experts should pick women's brackets.

    Love the awkwardness on the PC espn network though!

  15. #15
    RMK is a couple generations behind on social expectations... and while I'm not excusing a bias, I will say I dont really hold it against him. I know very few elderly people who don't consciously or even subconsciously hold a few of the views that were understood during their younger years.

    I didnt see the cat fight, I'll have to go prowl youtube later this evening.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    It appeared that Jay is tired of arguing with a guy who barely watches the games he is announcing, much less watching anyone else. Jay is a hoophead who has command of what's going on around the country. Vitale can't even cover the games he is assigned to. If it's that obvious to us, it is even more obvious to his fellow analysts. Jay could have come across better, but Vitale has become such a cartoon character (and Phelps is even worse) that it's difficult to take anything he says seriously.

    dukemsu

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA
    Bobby Knight was asked a broad question about more "basketball" people being on the selection committee and answered, in-depth, that yes, the committee should be basketball people. He then went further to say that Men's basketball people watch Men's basketball and Women's watch the Women. He said those that watch the respective sport should be on those committee's.

    So he didn't say that women shouldn't be on the men's committee, or vice versa. He said those that know should picks those that go.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    ESPN is still figuring out how best to utilize their many talking heads. I like Rece Davis, Jay Bilas, and Hubert Davis on the main studio stage. If they must have a fourth person there, Digger Phelps is okay, but it's a little awkward when he gets Memphis and Michigan State confused. The others don't know if they should correct him on the spot or not.

    On days like this, Dick Vitale is good where he is: via satellite, speaking when spoken to. But I think they need to limit his commentary even more (I realize that in practice that's extremely difficult). But the big mistake ESPN made was having Bob Knight comment on the brackets as they were announced. He is by far their best asset, but providing instant analysis on generalities is not his strength. He'd be much better discussing specific matchups later tonight or in the upcoming days.

    I'm surprised I'm saying this, but CBS figured it out this year. I don't know if Greg Anthony contributed much -- one or two of his sleeper picks made no sense -- but he was much better in the studio than Clark Kellogg has been.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wilmington
    We know the BCS schools, Duke included, will pay mid majors to come play them.. at OUR PLACE.. unc-ch will play on the road at a small mid major, at the mid majors home, ONLY if it's to get that game in front of the unc-ch players home fans. Duke is the same way,, maybe a neutral court, but we don't go play Creighton, Butler in their place.. We don't have to.. So Jay is correct, the big boys will play you, IF you come to our place.
    Money talks.
    Coach K's job is not to be fair and play Butler at Butler. It's to his own players,, get them some nice life experiences, travel and play where they can win. ( neutral courts )
    So Dickie V is correct in a sense,, the BCS school will rarely put their arse on the line and play at the mid major. Dickie V wants the mid major to have a chance for their day in the sun. We all love Cinderella unless they're playing us.
    Jay wants the best 64 teams and do away with the automatic bids.

    Personally, I like that Binghamton gets it day in the sun against us. I hope it rains on them lol.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Summit County, Colo.
    Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    If I worked with Dick Vitale I would constantly be pissed.

    I would be deaf.

Similar Threads

  1. Dick Vitale complaint collection thread
    By Son of Mojo in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 10:55 AM
  2. Dick Vitale CRAZY for the Rays
    By BlueintheFace in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 08:46 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 08:47 AM
  4. Dick Vitale back to Call Duke-UNC
    By Ben63 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 10:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •