Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MBB: Selection Show Sunday Thread

Please put your pre-show speculation and in-show discussion here. Which teams had their bubbles burst today? What does the top four lines of your bracket look like? What seeds are the ACC teams going to get? Which teams do you want to see in Duke's bracket? Etc

Reminder: we will be chatting during selection show: http://www.snrub.com/
    Last edited by Troublemaker; 03-15-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: add link to chat

I wouldn't want to be Maryland right now. (Well, I wouldn't want to be Maryland any time, but you know what I mean.)

How awesome would it be for UConn to be unc's #2? Not putting the cart before the horse or anything, but I'm hoping for Memphis' region, which would almost certainly be the West.

I think it's more realistic to see:

East: UNC/UConn
    South: Louisville/Duke
    Midwest: Pitt/Mich St (Memphis cannot go here)
    West: Memphis/Oklahoma

although you can play with the two seeds
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 03-15-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: typo

I think Maryland is as solidly in as any of the bubble teams you've been hearing about recently. The teams that are in *real* trouble (what you might call the uber-bubble) are San Diego State, St. Mary's, Arizona and Creighton. They might be battling for 1 or 2 seeds (perhaps 1 now that Mississippi State got an automatic?).

Yeah, that MissState win knocked somebody out. Probably Creighton or St. Mary's, though. Still think Maryland sneaks in.

I have UNC as my overall #1 and UConn hanging on to their 1 seed. Memphis gets disrespected on the S-curve, I think. My top two lines would be

East: UNC / Oklahoma
    Midwest: Pitt / Memphis
    South: Louisville / Mich St
    West: UConn / Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Please put your pre-show speculation and in-show discussion here. Which teams had their bubbles burst today? What does the top four lines of your bracket look like? What seeds are the ACC teams going to get? Which teams do you want to see in Duke's bracket? Etc
    I really hope that Bracketology is incorrect.

I would be really upset if teams like Saint Mary's and Creighton get in the tournament over teams like Arizona and Wisconsin.

I'd be very surprised if they gave the Big East three #1s. Thus the other one goes to Memphis. After further review, I do think they would match them up UNC/Oklahoma (strongest 1/weakest 2) and Memphis/UConn (weakest 1/strongest 2). Note UConn historically does very well when placed in the West.

I hope we get put in the East with Pitt (not that I want to play Pitt, but Pitt is gonna be in the East). I'm more interested in who the #3 in our region is than the #1. If we get to the elite 8 then I will be thrilled! Hoping to get either Kansas or Missouri as our #3 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    I would be really upset if teams like Saint Mary's and Creighton get in the tournament over teams like Arizona and Wisconsin.
    Why? I would much rather see St. Mary's in the tournament than Arizona. St. Mary's loss some games with Patty Mills sidelined. He is healthy and St. Mary's deserves to dance.
    Bob Green

Please give us Louisville or Memphis (Pitt if neccessary) as the #1 seed in our bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    I really hope that Bracketology is incorrect.

Would not surprise me since the fad is now to give more respect to mid-major teams than they probably deserve.

I think it'll be us as the 2 with Louisville or Pitt as our one. I feel confident saying UConn/Memphis will be the 1/2 (in either order) in the West. So, we'll be in the Midwest or East, I'd expect. I'd like to see Lousiville, Memphis, Missouri, Kansas in our bracket as the 1s or 3s. I don't really want to see Pitt as our 1, or Ok as a 3 (although they are 95% assured of a 2). I don't really want to see Nova either or WV. In fact, I think most of the Big East teams are bad matchups for us. Big 12 or Big Ten please. Or SEC.

Lundardi has Ohio St as an 8? I hope they are in UNC's portion. Although I'm not high on the big ten, Ohio St is a tough 8 for them.

12. I think Arizona and Penn State are out. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maryland, and St. Mary's should be among the last in. Creighton should be out and they have no one to blame but themselves with their horrible loss in their conference tourney. Miss. St.'s automatic bid cost Penn State their position.

For the four #1 seeds, UNC, Louisville, and Pitt should be there. I think UConn gets it. No way in heck does Memphis get the fourth 1 seed -- I think it's all media hype when it comes to Memphis. When the selection committee does its analysis, it will be clear that Memphis does not belong in the conversation. I remember Pitt back in 2006 (or thereabouts) who posted an excellent record against a weak schedule; they ended up a 3rd seed when many thought they would be a 1 or 2 seed. I'm betting the same will apply to Memphis.

In fact, I'd say the two biggest threats to UConn's hold on the last 1 seed is Duke and Michigan State. Duke won the ACC tournament and has a #2 RPI; Michigan State has the best record against top 50 teams. What's counting against UConn is the Dyson injury. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Please put your pre-show speculation...
    Carolina gets a cakewalk.

hud

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I think it's more realistic to see:

East: UNC/UConn
    This won't happen, unless the Committee ignores the S-curve in favor of keeping both teams in Boston. UNC is either the #1 or 2 overall seed, and Connecticut is either #4 or 5.

The top 8 teams could look like this.

Midwest: Louisville, Michigan St.
    East: UNC, Oklahoma
    South: Pitt, Duke
    West: Memphis, UConn

I'm not in love with Oklahoma or Michigan State as 2 seeds, but who would replace them?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This won't happen, unless the Committee ignores the S-curve in favor of keeping both teams in Boston. UNC is either the #1 or 2 overall seed, and Connecticut is either #4 or 5.

The top 8 teams could look like this.

Midwest: Louisville, Michigan St.
    East: UNC, Oklahoma
    South: Pitt, Duke
    West: Memphis, UConn

I'm not in love with Oklahoma or Michigan State as 2 seeds, but who would replace them?

I agree and think these are the pairs we will see.
    Last edited by Delaware; 03-15-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: JUST NOTICED GRANT HILL STATUS!

i think we've played our way into the #1 seed with UConn as our #2, or vice versa. I don't see how you slot Memphis over either of those teams.

I don't know why everyone is taking Duke as a 2 seed for granted. I'm not saying we'll get a 1, but our resume is comparable with Memphis or UConn:

> Duke has a higher RPI than either Memphis or UConn
    > Duke has a higher SOS than either Memphis or UConn
    > Duke beat two of the three teams that beat Memphis
    > Duke won their conference tournament, UConn did not
    > Duke has more wins than either UConn or Memphis against tournament teams

Of course, there are good arguments for Memphis and UConn as well. I'd say it's more likely that we get a 2 seed than a 1 seed, but certainly not 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    Carolina gets a cakewalk.

hud
    Assuming they get an at-large bid. Muahahahahahahaha.

I don't particularly care who our #1 seed is, because that's so far down the road that it might just be irrelevant (one way or the other). I'm more concerned about who our #7 seed and who our #3/6 seeds would be, because those are the games that we'll be sweating. And if we get to the Elite-8, that's a fantastic accomplishment. We will have played to the #1/#2 seed's expectation. That's all you can ask.

Any seeding prediction without factoring in the pod system/distance is meaningless.

Here's my prediction, taking into account distance from home:

BOSTON: Uconn / Duke / Missouri
    INDIANAPOLIS: Pitt / Michigan state / Wake Forest
    MEMPHIS: Unc / Oklahoma / Villanova
    ARIZONA: Louisville / Memphis / Kansas