Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 79, FSU 69... ACC Champions! Post-Game Thread

Please discuss here.

Congrats, Duke!!! Hopefully, they can carry this confidence deeeeeeeep into the NCAA's!!!!

Great performance, great tournament! Duke has been clutch in close games and today really put it together. They're playing very solid basketball going into the NCAAs. But today is about the accomplishment of becoming the 2008-2009 ACC champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Please discuss here.
    A legitimate reason to cut down the nets with Scheyer as MVP. I love it! This feels good, real good.

Stallball....yikes!

Thought I'd get that out of the way so I can end on a good note. ACC Champions with a capital C (as opposed to chapel hill, who won the lowercase c variety). D-U-K-E!

6. Great games by Singler and Zoubek in the first half.

G played an excellent game throughout.

Scheyer's free throws were HUGE and his ability to guide the team -- what, only three Duke turnovers? -- was key. Scheyer my MOTM.

Feinstein

John Feinstein is absolutely right. The ACC is indeed a one-team league.

The team: Duke.

Congratulations to our Blue Devils for a great ACC Championship and congratulations to Jon Scheyer for being named the tournament MVP.
    Bob Green

Congratulations 2009 ACC Champions!!!!

How great this must feel for guys in the junior class, who endured 2007 and 2008's difficulties and now hoist a conference championship banner. I'm so happy for all of them.

Way to go, guys! You are champions of the greatest conference ever! Well done!

Now on to THE tournament. I think Duke has earned a 2 seed. Can't wait for the madness to begin.

ACC Champs!

Dave McClure has been so valuable to Duke. What a tough kid who really is the unsung hero of this team.

Celebrate, folks! There will be plenty of time to analyze and such coming up. But enjoy this. Huge, huge accomplishment for these kids. Way to go!!!

Excellent game! Should be a real confidence booster for the big tourney. Congrats to Scheyer for the MVP.

And, FWIW, I think the stallball worked just fine -- it's not designed to run up the score, it's designed to outlast other teams (and that's just what it did).

Ready for the tourney!

Although it was a long and tense ending, we remained strong and finished. I thought the way the Noles pressured the ball in the last 50 seconds was overkill. If you're not going to foul, let the clock wind down. I don't fault Jon's last shot because of that. FSU had it coming playing like that.

I wish it was a cleaner finish and we won't be able to get away with that after the first round of the NCAA, but we gained a lot of confidence today that will hopefully carry us a long way. Let's just keep playing like we did in the first half. Go Duke!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The slow down drove me nuts, I wasn't surprised by the comeback, we let it happen so often. But that's my only complaint..
    WOOOOHOOOOOOO Way to go Devils!!!!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

15. Such a big achievement for this group of guys. As a program we're back, but for our players we've just arrived. It's been wonderful to see this group build their own winning tradition. G, Kyle, Jon, Dave, and everyone on this team can take their places at the table with the rest of Duke's ACC champions and I couldn't be happier.

When FSU cut it to 6 with 12 remaining, I started to write down what happened...with perhaps a few missed nuances:

-Scheyer nails a 3
    -Scheyer gets fouled shooting a 3 and hits all 3 (he must lead the NCAAs in drawing fouls when shooting 3s)
    -Singler steal
    -Nolan spin move and floater in the lane
    -G keeps missed shot alive, Scheyer drives and kicks to G for a 3
    -Nolan hits G on a high-low for the dunk and foul. G misses the foul shot, McClure keeps it alive, G gets fouled backing Douglas down and hits the 2 free throws
    -Scheyer's insane backward flip off the baseline drive
    -Singler 3
    -Scheyer 3

That was pretty much the ballgame.

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO THIS TEAM AND COACHING STAFF. No matter what happens from here on out, you've made history.

I'd also like to add that we're peaking at the end of the season for the first time in a handful of years. I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances to make a deep run. How sweet it is!

Man this tastes good after what this team went through in getting here. What a great job these guys did in pulling this one today. 28 wins, what a season.

Way to go TEAM! So excited and happy for all of them. Major props to Dave for his play off the bench and to Kyle - who I think played the entire tournament- never came off the court.

Awesome tournament for this team!

ACC CHAMPIONS!
    Last edited by terrih; 03-15-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: typo

They should give out ACCCOY after the tournament. After winning this game you have to say that this is one of K's best season ever.

Pride rules!