Basketball Banquet

Won't be as eventful or long as past years, but it's always a fun event. Anyone have early bets on award winners/who will be named team captains?

I'll be there, as always. At least no one is likely to pull a "Duhon" (translation: an endless speech thanking everyone from God on down that took nearly 1 hour).

My guess is that Paulus, Nelson and McClure will be co-captains. I hope they do move McClure in. He is a great human being and can be a good, solid leader.
    DukeDevilDeb

on a Tuesday? isn't it usually on a Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    I'll be there, as always. At least no one is likely to pull a "Duhon" (translation: an endless speech thanking everyone from God on down that took nearly 1 hour).
    I don't seem to recall Duhon thanking God but yes, that talk was long and very emotional...I clearly remember, and genuenly in that, how often the tone of the talk changed back and forth from humor to teary eyed emotions ....Also, I don't recall many players having pulled-off taking a dig at Coach K (The Gatorade bottle in the trash can incident...).....Man, I enjoyed that talk so much.

I envy anyone who gets a chance to go. I had the honor of attending for the 88 and 89 seasons. I remember tearing up when they showed the videos for the 3 seniors Danny, Quin and John Smith in 89 to the song, "Wind Beneath My Wings." I was a sap even back then. Quin's song was of course, "The Mighty Quin", I don't specifically remember Danny's but I think it was "Superman." Mickey K used to put together the video montages back then, don't know if she still does. Always a good time.

Songs

That I can remember:
    Duhon - Celine Dion "If that's what it takes"
    Battier - "I will remember you" Sarah McLachlan
    Nate - "Like a Rock"
    JJ - "Hit me with your best shot"
    J-Will - "World's Greatest" - R.Kelly

Anyone able to remember others?
    Last edited by JBDuke; 04-10-2007 at 09:24 PM.

I would like to hear this

Quote Originally Posted by Madrasdukie View Post
    I don't seem to recall Duhon thanking God but yes, that talk was long and very emotional...I clearly remember, and genuenly in that, how often the tone of the talk changed back and forth from humor to teary eyed emotions ....Also, I don't recall many players having pulled-off taking a dig at Coach K (The Gatorade bottle in the trash can incident...).....Man, I enjoyed that talk so much.
    ...please...tell the story...

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    That I can remember:
    Duhon - Celine Dion "If that's what it takes"
    Battier - "I will remember you" Sarah McLachlan
    Nate - "Like a Rock"
    JJ - "Hit me with your best shot"
    J-Will - "World's Greatest" - R.Kelly

Anyone able to remember others?
    JJ actually had 2 songs. The one you mentioned started the video off, but it ended with "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)" by Bryan Adams. He & Shel were the only two seniors that had 2 songs for their video montage. I can't remember which two songs were used for Shel.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 04-10-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreechTDX View Post
    ...please...tell the story...
    I can't find the link to the 2004 banquet article that I wrote for DBR but here's a link to the 2005 banquet article, if you're still interested:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=10014

I'll try to ferret out the 2004 article.

Didn't they wait and not announce captians during last years banquet. Seemed like they waited until closer to the season?

Wonder if they will announce them tonight or wait again.

Quote Originally Posted by terrih View Post
    Didn't they wait and not announce captians during last years banquet. Seemed like they waited until closer to the season?

Wonder if they will announce them tonight or wait again.
    They stopped announcing the captains at the banquet after Mike Dunleavy unexpectedly declared for the NBA after being announced as a captain at the banquet.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Can anyone who attended the banquet or who has seen the pictures on Watzone's site explain Marty's attire? A green Bulls jersey? Huh? Did he change at some point? Was there a skit or something?

No explanation. He didn't have it on during the banquet... was tuxedoed like the rest of the team. Joe did a good job of his senior speech. Coach K looked dashing in his pink tie.

Only one minor criticism... the banquet ended on the note of naming the Center for Excellence after Coach K, and Brodhead made a speech. I wish that had been done earlier in the evening; it seemed to take away from the focus on the team and put it back on the Coach. And while he is certainly the constant, it IS the team's night.
    DukeDevilDeb

Any talk of summer plans?

Hi,

Did the team announce anything about what players, who are returning to Duke, would be doing with their summers? Summer school? Camps? National teams? Pete Newel's (not sure of spelling) Big Man Camp--hint hint?

GO DUKE!

Basketball Awards Banquet Pictures

Banquet Pictures

Good news! I will have a new camera by next week! These are 2.0 megapixils, but they are still fairly good. I had a 3000 word article go poof when my server went down as I hit enter ... go figure

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Banquet Pictures

Good news! I will have a new camera by next week! These are 2.0 megapixils, but they are still fairly good. I had a 3000 word article go poof when my server went down as I hit enter ... go figure
    Sweet. Thanks, watzone.

Thanks, Watzone!

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Banquet Pictures

Sorry to hear about the article...thx much for the pictures. It was great to see smiling faces all round.

Even if it takes awhile I think your report on the banquet (from the heart like you said) would be so worth reading.