Thread: UNC's wins

UNC's wins

Watching Notre Dame bow out after lofty expectations this year- it made me look at who UNC has beaten. Notre Dame was supposed to be a top team this year and when UNC crushed them- it was viewed as a big win. Not so much now. UNC did beat Michigan State- but they were not at full strength. They lost to Wake, Maryland and BC. They had a close game with Fla State that they should have lost. But other than the big wins against Clemson at home and Duke and Michigan State, have they beaten any other team that is NCAA bound? It is interesting that Duke is the best team that they have beaten this year and many UNC fans do not think Duke will make it past the first weekend.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It is interesting that Duke is the best team that they have beaten this year and many UNC fans do not think Duke will make it past the first weekend.
    Three things,...
    They beat us twice, led the second time by a cripple.
    They beat us at home.
    unc fans have lots of company.

I will not be shocked if Duke goes deeper than unc this year. I won't be shocked if the 'holes win it all either, but I sure as hell am hoping against it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

But to play devil's advocate here, our out of conference wins aren't looking so impressive now either. Georgetown has imploded, SIU was supposed to be pretty good, Davidson was not quite what was expected... Xavier will still be in the NCAAs but lost early in the Atlantic 10 tournament that was supposed to be theirs for the taking, and Purdue has sputtered all year and will likely not receive a particularly high seed.

The flip side of that is I believe Duke as a team has progressed far further than any of those teams they have played this season, and that's what will matter next week.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Watching Notre Dame bow out after lofty expectations this year- it made me look at who UNC has beaten. Notre Dame was supposed to be a top team this year and when UNC crushed them- it was viewed as a big win. Not so much now. UNC did beat Michigan State- but they were not at full strength. They lost to Wake, Maryland and BC. They had a close game with Fla State that they should have lost. But other than the big wins against Clemson at home and Duke and Michigan State, have they beaten any other team that is NCAA bound? It is interesting that Duke is the best team that they have beaten this year and many UNC fans do not think Duke will make it past the first weekend.
    Who has UNC beaten? Are you serious? THEY BEAT DUKE TWICE!

If UNC is overrated, then what does that make Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    But to play devil's advocate here, our out of conference wins aren't looking so impressive now either. Georgetown has imploded, SIU was supposed to be pretty good, Davidson was not quite what was expected... Xavier will still be in the NCAAs but lost early in the Atlantic 10 tournament that was supposed to be theirs for the taking, and Purdue has sputtered all year and will likely not receive a particularly high seed.

The flip side of that is I believe Duke as a team has progressed far further than any of those teams they have played this season, and that's what will matter next week.
    I know that it's impossible to quantify, but it's interesting that Georgetown only melted down after losing to Duke (some say because of chemistry issues that occurred during the game), Purdue lost their best player (Hummel) and lost several games after that (in the middle of the season), and Davidson lost Curry for a game and lost and then lost again when he was injured. Assuming the RPI and SOS take into account what the opposing teams do over the course of the season, Duke's RPI and strength of schedule actually went down because Hummel and Curry got injured well after they played Duke. It's a completely flawed system.

The same thing can be said for UNC's games against Michigan State and Notre Dame. UNC beat MSU without their big man Suton, and they beat ND when ND was looking pretty good (although Harangody was sick).

where do you get that SIU was supposed to be "pretty good?" they didn't make the ncaat last year and didn't get a single vote in the preseason polls. they were very good 2 years ago but this year wasn't supposed to be a very good team. what xavier team are you referring to? the one that is playing st louis tomorrow at noon? purdue is a projected 6 seed. that doesn't qualify as a high seed?

One small probem in your post is that Xavier has yet to play in the A-10 Tournament. They got a first round bye and play St. Louis tomorrow. They lost their last game of the regular season but are still in the A-10 tourney.