• Psycho T

17 21.25%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    As for UNC's all-time team, Id go:
    F - Jamison, Worthy, Jordan, S. May
    C - Perkins, Daughtery, Montross
    G - Ford, K. Smith, McCants, Felton

So yeah, ol' Hansborough might not even sniff the floor. Who would you bench to put him on the court - Big Game James or Jamison? I'd say Hansborough is about the 12th-13th best unc player ever. He just benefited from not having to wait his turn as fresh/soph and being really good for 4 years. But I'd argue really good as opposed to great.
    I hesitated about responding to the challenge earlier in the thread about leaving Redick and Hansbrough off their all-time school squads. I think it's easy to leave Redick off, due to the glut of Duke's great backcourt players. But leaving off Hansbrough is a harder sell, in light of UNC history at the F/C position.

It can be done (Phil Ford, Michael Jordan, Antawn Jamison, James Worthy, and Brad Daugherty, for example), but Hansbrough is definitely in the conversation, based on performance more than talent. I'd put him ahead of Sean May and Eric Montross in a career-long context. You could make a decent argument that he or Sam Perkins (who are the same height) infiltrate the above first team list.

P.S. A quick look at the numbers suggests that Lennie Rosenbluth would probably get the nod over Antawn Jamison.

May won a title - MOP of the FF. He carried those guys in huge games whereas Hansborough's teams have flopped famously. Montross also won a title but yeah not as good as the current mouth breather.

No way Hansborough gets off the bench at the 4 or 5 though with Worthy, Perkins, May and Daughtery all better players.

Not familiar with Rosenbluth. I guess he's one of those guys who probably averaged 24 pts, 22 rebs or something like that. So yet another guy Hansborough sits behind.

In these conversations, I always weight NCAA tourney success above all else. Hence the biggest chinks in Hansborough and Redick's armor.

Not familiar with Rosenbluth. I guess he's one of those guys who probably averaged 24 pts, 22 rebs or something like that. So yet another guy Hansborough sits behind.

In these conversations, I always weight NCAA tourney success above all else. Hence the biggest chinks in Hansborough and Redick's armor.
    How about throwing Bobby Jones into the mix. He was a pretty fair baller. Also Walter Davis played some pretty good minutes as well.

I'd take Eric Montross over Beaker any day of the week. He was far more of a true center, played good defence and took a good thwacking so stoically he would barely flinch (though Beaker takes his abuse too, especially this year) Besides, Eric seems like a genuinely nice guy and not a putz.

Hansbrough pro prospects

A little off topic here, regarding Hansbrough's pro potential... a lot of people doubted that Battier would make an effective pro too, since he lacked athleticism and size and presumably wouldn't "get all the calls" like he did in college. Now I am not saying that they are the same player; Battier is a superior defender, can shoot from the outside, and has a mind like no one else... but Hansbrough also seems to have some immeasurable qualities that could carry over to the next level. We'll have to wait and see.

Also add, S. Williams, Boozer, Alarie, Gminski.

As for UNC's all-time team, Id go:
    F - Jamison, Worthy, Jordan, S. May
    C - Perkins, Daughtery, Montross
    G - Ford, K. Smith, McCants, Felton

So yeah, ol' Hansborough might not even sniff the floor. Who would you bench to put him on the court - Big Game James or Jamison? I'd say Hansborough is about the 12th-13th best unc player ever. He just benefited from not having to wait his turn as fresh/soph and being really good for 4 years. But I'd argue really good as opposed to great.

As for Redick's place in Duke history, well, he never won a title and went to his only FF as the third best player on that team behind Deng and Duhon. He's likely 10th-12th best player in Duke history.

Super "The oldest guys on this list are Gminski and Ford because I'm not that old..." Dave
    Im not talking about who won more championships, im talking 5 more dominant players. I guess when you have 2 historic programs its easy to do that but at least for Duke id have

C-Laetner (spelling)
    Pf-Brand/Boozer
    Sf-Battier
    Sg-Redick
    Pg-WIlliams

Im not sure if I put redick over Dawkins because i am a younger Duke fan and I never saw him play and when I look at stats(yes i know they dont tell the whole story) he comes infront in most categoires (yes I also know heplayed longer but I am saying dominant at Duke). Also again since I am a younger fan Ididnt see Carolina pre 2000 id say based on their careers at Carolina itd be hard to not play hansbrough. Jamison/Carter/etc were good and were will be better pros but in a college standpoint id still have to go with TH

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballer2294 View Post
    Im not talking about who won more championships, im talking 5 more dominant players. I guess when you have 2 historic programs its easy to do that but at least for Duke id have

C-Laetner (spelling)
    Pf-Brand/Boozer
    Sf-Battier
    Sg-Redick
    Pg-WIlliams

Im not sure if I put redick over Dawkins because i am a younger Duke fan and I never saw him play and when I look at stats(yes i know they dont tell the whole story) he comes infront in most categoires (yes I also know heplayed longer but I am saying dominant at Duke). Also again since I am a younger fan Ididnt see Carolina pre 2000 id say based on their careers at Carolina itd be hard to not play hansbrough. Jamison/Carter/etc were good and were will be better pros but in a college standpoint id still have to go with TH
    Good team, but I'd have to move Battier to his college position at PF, and slide Grant Hill into the SF spot. Other than that, those are probably the 5 most dominant Duke players that I've seen play.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Good team, but I'd have to move Battier to his college position at PF, and slide Grant Hill into the SF spot. Other than that, those are probably the 5 most dominant Duke players that I've seen play.
    I'd take out Redick and move J to SG. Bobby Hurley is the greatest Duke PG ever, thats not up for debate, no way he doesn't make our best ever team.

Hansbrough

Hansbrough was an excellent college player- but I would never go out of my way to watch him play- and that is not because he is a UNC player. I would of gone out of my way to watch Jordan or Jamison and probably even Forte (who was a bit of strange kid- but still had a great skill set). But Hansbrough, no. He has been great for his team and made the most of his abilities- but there is nothing he does as a basketball player that dazzles. On the other hand, I think a number of ACC fans would stop to watch Redick for sure. His shooting and ability to get on a streak was at another level. While Hansbrough and Redick pale in comparison to multiple ACC POY's like Thompson, Sampson, Bias, and Ferry and Duncan- Redick was much more enjoyable to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    I'd take Eric Montross over Beaker any day of the week. He was far more of a true center, played good defence and took a good thwacking so stoically he would barely flinch (though Beaker takes his abuse too, especially this year) Besides, Eric seems like a genuinely nice guy and not a putz.
    This is not intended to be personal, but you have got to be kidding me. I loved Montross, but he way under performed his senior year. never averaged more than 7.5 boards a game despite being 7 foot, 275 pounds and had a much more limited way to score around the basket.

And I have never seen anything to warrant Hansborough being a putz. Remember what he did getting on the bus going to the NCAAs after getting his nose broken when everyone was making a stink about it? He wore a red clown nose to make a total joke out of it....

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    I'd take out Redick and move J to SG. Bobby Hurley is the greatest Duke PG ever, thats not up for debate, no way he doesn't make our best ever team.
    As my name implies, I totally agree! Hurley was awesome. It would be like leaving Corchiani off State's all time team. But god I hated Laettner!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Hansbrough was an excellent college player- but I would never go out of my way to watch him play- and that is not because he is a UNC player. I would of gone out of my way to watch Jordan or Jamison and probably even Forte (who was a bit of strange kid- but still had a great skill set). But Hansbrough, no. He has been great for his team and made the most of his abilities- but there is nothing he does as a basketball player that dazzles. On the other hand, I think a number of ACC fans would stop to watch Redick for sure. His shooting and ability to get on a streak was at another level. While Hansbrough and Redick pale in comparison to multiple ACC POY's like Thompson, Sampson, Bias, and Ferry and Duncan- Redick was much more enjoyable to watch.
    DukeLifer, as much as I admire and appreciate the heart and soul Hansborough has invested, I totally agree with you. I would put Jamison before him. No he didnt have exactly the same motor, but Jamison was pretty much unguardable in the post, his release was too quick and if he missed, he was like a pogo stick going back up for Offensive rebounds and on top of that he ran the break like a gazelle...we are talking about the national player of the year in a year when it was pretty much never in doubt as to who should win it. Jamison also averaged 10 boards a game all three years. I mean he was a 15/10 guy as a freshman. Thats incredible. The fast break that Cota use to orchestrate with Jamison and Carter, is the most entertaining thing in the history of Carolina basketball in my opinion, although my former college roomate and teamate of Stackhouse/Wallace swears to me that the going to practice and watching McInnis throw passes to the aforementioned two topped even the Jamison/Carter/Cota show.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    IMO JJ was more dominant in his final two seasons than Psycho T. He was the consensus National Player of the Year after his Junior and Senior seasons (Psycho T will not match this), and averaged a shade under 27 points per game his senior year.
    Sorry to nitpick, but that's not really true. Andrew Bogut was the consensus Player of the Year when Redick was a junior. Redick just won the Rupp Award that year.