Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Nolan Smith status updates

I thought it'd make sense to have a thread dedicated to Nolan Smith's status so users can find the information more easily as updates come in. As of now, seems like a mild concussion and he was taken to the hospital as a precaution last night by his mother and stepfather.

Here's the update from The Chronicle:

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/200...onary-measure/

Here's hoping for a fast recovery! We'll need Nolan.

Hope Nolan is better soon! If you're reading this Nolan, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for making a new thread, it makes it a lot easier for me to check for updates while I'm "working" instead of scrolling through numerous pages of the gameday thread.

Hopefully we get some concrete [good] news soon.

Hope you are better soon!

Hope Nolan is on his way to full recovery and will be back on the court as soon as it is safe for him! WE NEED YOU NOLAN!

Add me to the list of those wishing a speedy full recovery.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Adding my wishes. He scared the hell out of me the way he was sitting on the bench, he didn't look good at all. Best of luck on a speedy recovery.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Adding my wishes. He scared the hell out of me the way he was sitting on the bench, he didn't look good at all. Best of luck on a speedy recovery.
    Agreed. The fact that he was sitting there holding his head, looking very dazed, and shaking.. I was violently questioning why they didn't get him out of there sooner. Watching him sit there like that while the crowd loudly bounced and thumped around to some crappy cliche early 90's club-mix song playing over the loudspeaker just didn't sit well with me.

I know we don't take kindly to bashing our on players, but if I was coach, I would have sent Zoubek to the locker room with Nolan. If he can't play, neither can you. He's out there busting his but to put some pressure on the ball and you let him get floored. I was pretty mad last night. I think Zoubs will be running a little extra this week...

Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Nolan.

Nolan, we love you. Get better and get back on the court, ASAP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I know we don't take kindly to bashing our on players, but if I was coach, I would have sent Zoubek to the locker room with Nolan. If he can't play, neither can you. He's out there busting his but to put some pressure on the ball and you let him get floored. I was pretty mad last night. I think Zoubs will be running a little extra this week...

Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Nolan.
    I don't think Zoubs played after the pick.

Coach K does preach communication on the court.

Nolan looked a lot like Blake Griffin did after his concussion. Just like he was in a fog. Has anyone watched an Oklahoma game since Blake has been just sitting on the sidelines? He still can not look at the flashing lights and such on scoreboards without having a strange look on his face and blinking his eyes. I hope Nolan's concussion is not that bad.

Last year when we played Georgia Tech at home, one of their players, I think he was their point guard, got a concussion in the game. I remember his eyes doing funny things, yet he went back in the game. I still don't understand why they let him back in the game. Glad Nolan was taken out of the game and didn't return.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Last year when we played Georgia Tech at home, one of their players, I think he was their point guard, got a concussion in the game. I remember his eyes doing funny things, yet he went back in the game. I still don't understand why they let him back in the game. Glad Nolan was taken out of the game and didn't return.
    causey was his name

Zoubek and communication

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I don't think Zoubs played after the pick.

Coach K does preach communication on the court.
    Bilas made the comment about Zoubek not calling out the screen. Is that really his job 75 feet from the basket? I'm asking here...I haven't paid attention to what our centers normally do on full court pressure. I assumed that Zoubek was back in the paint ready to play defense in the half court. I know I would have been annoyed if Zoubek picked up a foul 75 ft from the basket by hedging a pick. Maybe he is suppose to be in earshot of the pick to call it out...I don't know. It seems like our bench was fairly close to where the pick was set so it could have been their job as well.
    Anyway, I'm asking those with more knowledge where zoubek is suppose to be when our point guard is applying full court pressure? thanks

Kudos to Bilas

Quote Originally Posted by kexman View Post
    Bilas made the comment about Zoubek not calling out the screen. Is that really his job 75 feet from the basket? I'm asking here...I haven't paid attention to what our centers normally do on full court pressure. I assumed that Zoubek was back in the paint ready to play defense in the half court. I know I would have been annoyed if Zoubek picked up a foul 75 ft from the basket by hedging a pick. Maybe he is suppose to be in earshot of the pick to call it out...I don't know. It seems like our bench was fairly close to where the pick was set so it could have been their job as well.
    Anyway, I'm asking those with more knowledge where zoubek is suppose to be when our point guard is applying full court pressure? thanks
    I think the observation of Jay Bilas is quite correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    I think the observation of Jay Bilas is quite correct.
    It's great that you think that, but could you give a little more explanation? I don't remember where Zoubek was at that moment

Quote Originally Posted by kinghoops View Post
    causey was his name
    That's right. Thanks!

concussions

As someone who's suffered multiple concussions in the past, I can state that there's no doubt Nolan suffered a concussion last night. I knew it the second I saw his head whiplash off Neal's shoulder. The majority of concussions come from that type of hit -- the brain lliterally squashes into the skull resulting in a bruise. A concussion is a bruised brain, essentially.

Its really important that everyone understand what Nolan is going through right now. A concussion is unlike any other injury. You can't rehab a bruised brain the way you can a broken foot or strained groin. Sleep is the only prescription, since thats the only time the brain can heal itself. Unfortunately, insomnia is a common sympton with concussions so your body can struggle to heal itself. Its a catch-22

The old way of thinking was that a player who suffered a mild concussion would be good to go after about a 10 day period. Although it depends on the individual and the # of previous concussion, that theory has been repeatedly debunked in recent studies. In reality, it can take months -- even years -- for the brain to fully heal. And if the player comes back too soon, the risk of suffering a second, more damaging concussion is greatly enhanced.

This is the biggest fear I have for Nolan. He should start feeling better in a week or so and, I guarantee you, he will be pushing to get back on the court. But while he may feel fine, there's no way his brain will be fully healed. I would just hate for him to get hit again and suffer a truly damaging injury. We're talking permanent damage folks.

So to all us fans, lets go easy on Nolan and not pressure him to start playing too soon. Fans and coaches always hail the player who plays through the pain and takes one for the team. But in this case, where a player risks not only his career but also his life, that sort of attitude is reckless and unfair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfT_xn4V_f4

Bilas said nothing about Zoub not calling out the screen he just said someone should have.

Zoub was at about the top of the free throw circle at the other end of the court. I think the bench should have been yelling it out, they were much closer than any Duke player in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by kexman View Post
    Well, its not totally black and white, but I absolutely believe Zoubs should have been in position to call out the pick. You're right I'd be annoyed if he got a foul 75 feet from the basket for hedging, but no one is suggested he needed to hedge off the pick, he could have been at or near half court, and 15-20 feet away from the play, and still called out the screen no problem.

Now, MD had been burning us with penetration in the half court and in transition, and so I'm sure Zoubs was focused on getting his big butt into the paint where he can alter shots, which is a good thing, but you have to be cerebral and keep track of your man and the many other things we are trying to do. Nolan's applying pressure had the same goal as zoubek getting back: which is to slow them down a bit so Zoubs needs to be aware of that and I would absolutely expect Zoubs to be close enough to help out Nolan and call out that screen.

And your assumption was correct. Zoubs was at or near the FT line on defense when the hit occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I remember his eyes doing funny things, yet he went back in the game. I still don't understand why they let him back in the game. Glad Nolan was taken out of the game and didn't return.
    Yea, Nolan's eyes did a similar thing when he was on the bench where they seemed to flutter up and down and sort of roll to the back of his head a little. Causey's looked worse though, I must admit.