Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thank You, Seniors!

Tuesday night is Senior Night for Greg Paulus, Dave McClure, and Marty Pocius. Please show your appreciation or share any fond recollections here. IMO, all three guys have been excellent representatives of Duke University.
    Last edited by Troublemaker; 03-01-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added Marty

I was able to meet Greg in January. He is a very high character individual, one that resembles what it means to wear a Duke uniform. I'll be sad to see him go knowing how many big shots he hit and the emotion that he put into every game. He has been the spark plug of this team since he got here from the floor slaps to clutch three's I'm thankful Greg played here.

Dave is also another high character guy. He won't score 20 points a night but for a kid who is 6'6'' does an absolute hell of a job on the glass. Hes been through a lot since he got here from the knee injury on. Dave is such a well spoken kid. Everyone will always remember the night he beat Clemson.

Two kids who I will be sad to see go, but gave me as a fan so much.

Thanks Guys!

I don't know why... I can't explain it, but Greg Paulus is one of my five favorite Devils of all time. Would that Greg's heart could have been put in a few players' bodies.

Thanks for the ride Greg. Finish it off in style and to hell with half of the "duke fans" who have made certain statements about you these past few years.

4. Best luck in your future endeavours

I was at that Gonzaga game at MSG when Paulus ran head first into press row. He was down for a few minutes bleeding as the Duke faithful chanted "Let's go Paulus." Greg got up and led Duke to a 7 point win over Gonzaga. Things like that are difficult to forget.

6. Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    I was at that Gonzaga game at MSG when Paulus ran head first into press row. He was down for a few minutes bleeding as the Duke faithful chanted "Let's go Paulus." Greg got up and led Duke to a 7 point win over Gonzaga. Things like that are difficult to forget.
    Unfortunately, I've never witnessed a DUKE game live. I would love too, mosdef!

but, there are alot of great memories from Dave & Greg.

Greg's leadership.
    David's defense.

It seems like every time I turn around, Greg is winning another Academic All American award. He's a throwback. Someone that can start 90+ games for you during his career AND do well in school as a poli sci major. Him being a true student-athlete is what I'll remember most about Greg, and I thank him for being that.

As for Dave, he's always been one my favorite glue guys on the court. He basically has a big guard's body and yet is an excellent rebounder. On defense, he can guard both inside and out. On offense, I'm comfortable with the ball in his hands because he'll protect it and make a good pass. He's just very fundamentally sound in many important aspects of basketball. As a result, he's been a treat to watch play, and I hope I get to see him and Greg play 11 more games in their careers.

It seems like Dave has been around forever. Oh wait, he has.

In any event he's one of my favorite players of this century.

Gonzaga is one of my favorite memories with Greg.

Also, Paulus single handedly finishing off Davidson last year

Paulus literally carrying the team for the last 10 games or so of Duke's "down season."

Hitting TONS of huge threes in the last 3-4 minutes of games. Honestly, last year he should have been nicknamed "The coffin-hammer."

Going off @ Carolina last year

Everytime he slaps that floor!

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    I was able to meet Greg in January. He is a very high character individual, one that resembles what it means to wear a Duke uniform. I'll be sad to see him go knowing how many big shots he hit and the emotion that he put into every game. He has been the spark plug of this team since he got here from the floor slaps to clutch three's I'm thankful Greg played here.
    I also met him in a hotel before the Clemson game. I got his autograph and he was really nice, and he let me take a picture with him. I said bye and left. He said "see ya later man". I think he is the perfect person to be honored on senior night. Let's go Greg! It will be sad to see him in his last game at Cameron

Our Seniors

I have no doubts that Greg and Dave will be succesful at everything they choose to do. They personify everything that makes me a proud fan and alum. Thanks!

Thanks guys for all the hard work you've put in over the years, you couldn't have done a better job of representing your university. Here's wishing you all the luck and happiness in the future. Go Duke!!!

I know Greg's mom made cookies for some fans in KVille the night before the Carolina game.

Paulus took so much heat throughout his career for being a Duke PG and he never once let that bother him. Same with Dave; he fulfilled his responsibility as a role player without ever complaining. These guys give their all and do everything that's asked of them every game they play.

Greg and Dave are fine examples of team players and that's what they will be remembered for.

With sincere respect for Greg Paulus and Dave McClure . . .

Greg Paulus and Dave McClure will play their last game in Cameron this week, against Florida State. Neither achieved “retired jersey” status; in aggregate, however, they have made critical and continuous contributions to Duke Basketball, and I want to thank them publicly for superior effort throughout the last four years, for critical defensive intensity and performance, for tenacity, for courageous team leadership, and – most important – for the types of individuals they are. Both men have been criticized for basketball deficiencies and both have remained team- and leadership-focused, selfless, and have consistently elevated their performances. I am extremely proud they are fellow Duke Alumni and I sincerely appreciate their guts, their attitudes and values, their unremitting team spirit, and their willing sacrifices for the greater good of the team and of Duke. It is my opinion that they will be deeply missed.

One other moment that no one has mentioned was Dave's layup against Clemson two years ago to win the game at the buzzer. That was easily my favorite Dave moment.

And Greg making it rain at the dean dome last year was unforgettable. My favorite that night was his three where he fell down right in front of the bench and it still went in.

Thanks for the memories guys.

Congrats on terrific careers Greg and Dave!! I hope Greg takes a page out of the Melchionni playbook and kisses center court during the senior night ceremonies

The first season I seriously started following Duke basketball (at a Cameron Crazie intensity) was the 05-06 season. Greg and Dave were frosh (Dave a redshirt i think?) and what I have really enjoyed about the past four seasons is seeing those guys grow and progress here at Duke; they are the first players that I have followed from frosh to graduation.

I remember in 05-06, Greg with all the assists. In 06-07, Dave's game-winning shot vs Clem and the struggles of Greg. Last season, Greg's shot at the UNC game and all the other clutch threes... in case no one noticed Paulus is my favorite player You know, we may not have won at UNC game at Cameron for those guys, but how about we go win an ACC title or better yet how about a National Championship?!!?

Thanks for all the memories Greg and Dave, both the good and the bad. Its going to be bittersweet Tuesday watching two players, who in my opinion epitomize what Duke Basketball is on and off the court, playing their final game at Cameron. I do not think this is the last time we will see either of them; I think we could be seeing Dave playing beyond college and don't be surprised to see Greg on the sideline coaching someday (maybe at Duke).

Thanks for the memories Give us one last slap of the floor

Losing Greg is going to be a huge, huge deal for me. He is the heart and soul of this squad and he will be overwhelmingly missed. I don't even want to think about it right now. And Dave is just the best. Fought through injuries and scrapped to the max to help out his team in any way he could. Great kid, and he has been a great asset.

I definitely want to show some love for Jordan, too. That kid works his butt off and he deserves to be recognized. Plus, Singler stole his jersey number. haha I kid, I kid.

Greg Paulus is on my top five list of Duke players, his leadership and passion that he puts in the game is truly representative of what Duke basketball should be. We were extremely lucky to have him on the team, and I can't think of any graduating senior on another team that I would have preferred to have play for us.

Dave McClure is another player that I think I will always remember. You could tell that he always gave a hundred and ten percent to the team, and has had some amazing plays that still send chills down my spine when I watch replays. I'm very glad he choose to play at Duke, and definitely made huge contributions to the team.

The two of these players are the kind of people that got where they are with huge amounts of effort, and I think they can be extremely proud of what they accomplished!

Thank you seniors!

Greg and Dave, thanks for the memories!

May the road rise up to meet you Greg and Dave!

So proud of you both!