# of fouls - ACC vs NCAAT

I am pretty sure the ACC generally calls more fouls than the NCAA Tourney. This is, I think, to Duke's detriment - think JJ Reddick getting bumped in the LSU game and not getting calls he would have in ACC play. IE, Duke typically prospers when more fouls are called in general.

Think Elton Brand being hacked against Uconn and only getting half the calls he would / deserved during the year.

I watched George Mason abuse this and play real rough knowing the refs are hesitant with the whistle in NCAA Tourny.

Anyway, can someone do me a favor and provide, say, last three years average number of foul called in ACC games vs average fouls called over that time in NCAA Tourney games.

Thanks!

I've often wondered this year if the way the NCAAT is called is affecting the way the ACC is now calling games. First let me state, that I hate the way the rules change for the tournament and that it has really cost Duke in the past (including the two examples cited by gofurman). It has seemed to me that the ACC is more physical this year. My best friend and I were talking about the UMD game last night and we both thought the way the game was called Wednesday night (anything goes in the paint) allowed UMD to stay with us for most of the game. This year's Duke team seems to be handling the physical play quite well. My hope is that as long as the NCAAT is going to be called so poorly that having ACC games also called poorly might help our Blue Devils succeed in the tournament. That would be a silver lining to the overly physical games we've had to endure.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I've often wondered this year if the way the NCAAT is called is affecting the way the ACC is now calling games. First let me state, that I hate the way the rules change for the tournament and that it has really cost Duke in the past (including the two examples cited by gofurman). It has seemed to me that the ACC is more physical this year. My best friend and I were talking about the UMD game last night and we both thought the way the game was called Wednesday night (anything goes in the paint) allowed UMD to stay with us for most of the game. This year's Duke team seems to be handling the physical play quite well. My hope is that as long as the NCAAT is going to be called so poorly that having ACC games also called poorly might help our Blue Devils succeed in the tournament. That would be a silver lining to the overly physical games we've had to endure.
    Clemson game notwithstanding, of course.

That one was just brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Agree - if they are going to call it that way in the NCAA then the ACC might as well call it near to that so the ACC teams are ready...still, anyone know the numbers (one of you guys who can hook up with stats real quick on espn... I admit I am being lazy)

edit:whoever just deemed me "Christian Laettner" that is good -
    Last edited by gofurman; 02-27-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: named Christian Laettner

In watching Non-ACC games, Big East/Big 12/SEC I generally feel that there are fewer fouls called than the ACC in all those leagues.

I think the ACC just calls more fouls...

I have no numbers to back this up, but I'm suspecting someone with time on their hands at work will come back and prove me wrong with facts.

AKA "Get some facts and come back and see me "

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    In watching Non-ACC games, Big East/Big 12/SEC I generally feel that there are fewer fouls called than the ACC in all those leagues.

I have no numbers to back this up, but I'm suspecting someone with time on their hands at work will come back and prove me wrong with facts.

What we have here is the definition of a red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post

It could be different officiating standards, or it could be a number of other things, even with consistent officiating:

1. ACC teams generally play at quicker paces than most other conferences. You don't see as many 50-45 games as you do in the Big 10, for example. Faster pace = more possessions = more fouls.

2. The ACC may be more physical than other conferences, i.e. ACC players are fouling more, and therefore getting called for more fouls.