Lightbulb Should we try to recruit Beasley?

I have seen him play while he was here w/ the USA under 18 team (along w/ Singler, King and Smith all very impressive) and this kid can really play and dunk the ball, he would be a great kid to have on the team (supposing that KState releases him). We should be prepared for the possibility that Patrick Patterson may not choose us, I mean why put all our eggs in one basket so to speak...(ummm sorry, pun intended). What are ya'lls take? Also, has McRoberts definately signed w/ an agent... I've seen one person say that he has...but really haven't read it anywhere.

beasley is one and gone and i have read that mcroberts has signed with arn tellum

Should we try to recruit Michael Beasley?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBlueDevil View Post
    I have seen him play while he was here w/ the USA under 18 team (along w/ Singler, King and Smith all very impressive) and this kid can really play and dunk the ball, he would be a great kid to have on the team (supposing that KState releases him). We should be prepared for the possibility that Patrick Patterson may not choose us, I mean why put all our eggs in one basket so to speak...(ummm sorry, pun intended). What are ya'lls take? Also, has McRoberts definately signed w/ an agent... I've seen one person say that he has...but really haven't read it anywhere.
    We should not.

Out of principle, anyone who signs with Huggins I want nothing to do with.

VaDukie for post of the week(end).

Beasley considering N.C. State?

I don't think we should go after Beasley...but it looks like a couple of other ACC teams are on his short list (if he is released that is). Doesn't look like he will be following Huggins to WVU, but I was surprised to see N.C. State in the mix.

http://www.hendersonvillenews.com/ap.../APS/704074596

Who knows, with K-State already hiring Martin, he may not even ask for a release.

Nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Basketball has changed dramatically from the days of Grant Hill and Bobby Hurley. If a player is that good and he fits whatever the academic requirements are for basketball players are at Duke, and is the type of player that meets the requirements of Coach K, you go after him even if he is a one and done player. Things will always work out thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Basketball has changed dramatically from the days of Grant Hill and Bobby Hurley. If a player is that good and he fits whatever the academic requirements are for basketball players are at Duke, and is the type of player that meets the requirements of Coach K, you go after him even if he is a one and done player. Things will always work out thereafter.
    What happens when he autographs the Duke family sarcophagi?

"Me and Tywon Lawson had a competition at the beginning of the school year about who could sign their autograph the most around the school," Beasley said, referring to a teammate who now stars at North Carolina. "And I don't lose at anything, man, so I walked around with one of those Sharpies and signed graffiti everywhere. Every day, they were cleaning my name off water fountains, ceilings, desks, offices -- whatever. I just thought it was funny."

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I'm honored by your compliment freedevil.

But really, the thanks should go to Huggins. I guess the compete negligence of his players academic performance is a result of his tireless work on the court?

Agreed, Just think had we recruited Greg Oden (and he came to Duke) for instance... do you think we would have lost those close games during the regular season, or first rounds of the ACC and NCAA tournaments? Sometimes a one and done player isn't all that bad... Look he helped his team get to the championship game this year, his first and presumably only year in college... suppose he had been surrounded by the current duke players...(Paulus@PG, McBob@PF, Scheyer@SG, Nelson@SF and ODEN@C) hmmmmm... the possibilities!

I don't have a problem with Duke recruiting "one-and-done" players. I don't think Duke should recruit Beasley because he does not appear to have the emotional maturity to play for Mike Krzyzewski or to face the intense media scrutiny that comes with playing for Duke University.

It doesn't make sense to compare Beasley to Greg Oden - Oden didn't get kicked out of five high schools.
    Last edited by Duvall; 04-08-2007 at 03:31 PM.

Recruiting Beasley

I don't have a problem with Duke recruiting "one-and-done" players. I don't think Duke should recruit Beasley because he does not appear to have the emotional maturity to play for Mike Krzyzewski or to face the intense media scrutiny that comes with playing for Duke University.

It doesn't make sense to compare Beasley to Greg Oden - Oden didn't get kicked out of five high schools.

I am not advocating recruiting Beasley. Previously I was against 1 and done players. Not so anymore.

I know he can ask for a release from K State but is Duke even aloud to talk to him? B/C I think that would be a violation of NCAA rules but if he is released then we can talk to him and we should try to get him. The problem is I don't think he can be the dominate low post player on a team, he is very skinny. He reminds me of a more athletic Brandon Wright.

K-State AD firm, won't grant releases
    Kansas State athletic director Tim Weiser stated firmly on Thursday that the University will not grant players who signed letters of intent, including All-American Michael Beasley, releases from those letters. "Our policy is consistent," Weiser said at his press conference announcing Bob Huggins' departure. "We do not grant releases." Beasley and the other signees would have to sit out a year if they chose not to enroll at KSU.

Clarification...

Just want to clarify one thing... In no way was I comparing Beasley to Oden... just using Oden in a "What if" scenario for an example of what a one and done player could do for a team.

Beasley

is not a Duke student-athlete.

quick question how many scholorships does DUKE have (next 4 years or so).. Also I wouldn't mind trying to get Beasley, I mean the guy can play. With Coach K's guidence and disipline he will be fine. So if we get him are we not the best team in america?

K-State's position is that they aren't going to release him so it's all a moot point.

But, Duke was never even remotely involved with Beasley before so there's no logical reason to think that Duke would be interested now. There are some pretty significant red flags.

Quote Originally Posted by JJweMISSu View Post
    quick question how many scholorships does DUKE have (next 4 years or so)..
    Transfers, early NBA deaprtures, and other unforseeable stuff make it very difficult to forecast how many scholarships Duke will have in coming seasons. Still, I'll give it a whirl.

Next year we will have the following players on the roster:
    3 Freshmen (Smith, King, Singler)
    4 Sophs (Henderson, Scheyer, Thomas, Zoubek)
    3 Jrs (Paulus, McClure, Pocius)
    1 Sr (Markie)

That makes 11 players on the roster. The NCAA allows 13 scholarship players (right?) so we could take 2 more without running up against the limit.

The year after, class of 2008 (Monroe's class) we lose Markie for sure. Hard to say who else, if anyone, we would lose. If Patterson comes and no one departs for any reason, we would only be able to offer 1 scholarship (Greg Monroe, come on down!!). However, I think that is a highly unlikely scenario. I think the odds are we will have 2 or perhaps even 3 scholarships to give in that class.

By the time we get to 2009, things begin to really free up as Paulus, McClure, and Pocius are all gone from the program.

Suffice it to say that we will probably not take too many kids from 2008 but will likely be looking to really reload in 2009. If it is even possible to forecast that far in advance.

-Jason "sorta sad that so few kids stay 4 years-- but also sorta the new reality in major college hoops" Evans