Thread: Weaker wins

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Weaker wins

Wow. Many of our previous wins this season aint looking so great these days the way that teams like Georgetown, Michigan (the first time we played), and Miami have been playing of late. I had even hoped that Southern Illinois and Rhode Island might make some noise in the mid-major ranks, but they are suckin as well. That leaves the recent Wake win and the Xavier win as our most quality wins thus far. No big deal, but its just suprising how poorly some of these teams are playing now - when they looked much better early on.
    I would have to say that Georgetown is the biggest disappointment this season, even more than Notre Dame.
    No real disappointments in the ACC, although, I'm sure GaTech fans wouldn't agree...

Purdue was a big win. They lost a few games because they didn't have their best player (Hummel), but they're ranked 16... higher than Xavier. They just beat Michigan State.

Edit: Florida State is also a top 25 team.

While i totally agree, and have been thinking the same thing, our SOS ranking is very very solid. According to KenPom we have the #15 SOS and in the RPI we are #6. So I'm not worried come two weeks from Sunday.

I also agree that Georgetown is the most disappointing team of the big time teams we beat. I mean taking down UConn and rising to #10 or so in the rankings and now not even in line to make the tourney? That's much worse than any swoon we've had in the last few years...(its worth noting that ken pom has g-town at #21 in his rankings with the #3 SOS and they are #42 in the RPI with the #2 SOS. If they can get to 17-18 wins they might have a real shot. They have Nova, DePaul, and St Johns left plus the Big East tourney so its not out of reach...)

KenPom
    http://kenpom.com/rate.php
    RPI
    http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

Can anyone think of a more talented team than Georgetown that has missed the tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Can anyone think of a more talented team than Georgetown that has missed the tournament?
    Maryland, 1974.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I know you probably meant to qualify that question by saying "since the NCAA's expanded to 64 teams."
    Last edited by Johnboy; 02-24-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: second paragraph.

I know the committee has a hard enough time as it is to select seeding and the correct teams for the tournament but one criteria frustrates me every year. Duke’s win over Georgetown at the time was a huge win and put Duke on alert to the rest of the country. Now since Georgetown has fallen apart that win is nearly irrelevant. It’s not Duke’s fault Georgetown tanked, I think when factoring in seed and or bubble teams look at the opponent whom a team beat and how they were playing at that time. Not now or in previous months.

Now flip the switch a win in December over a non ranked team who catches fire now suddenly looks better now than it did before. Arizona thumped Kansas in December when Kansas was still figuring themselves out with nearly an entire new cast of players. Since Kansas is playing well right now Arizona’s resume will benefit greatly from a win nearly three months ago when Kansas clearly is not the same team?