Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dawkins/Wojo/Collins HC prospects

When are we going to start hearing Johnny Dawkins' name for head coaching positions. I know he has often been mentioned as Coach K's successor, but doesn't that seem like a long time to wait. K doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. It could be another 10-15 years before Coach K steps down (you know he's gonna chase the all-time wins record).

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    When are we going to start hearing Johnny Dawkins' name for head coaching positions. I know he has often been mentioned as Coach K's successor, but doesn't that seem like a long time to wait. K doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. It could be another 10-15 years before Coach K steps down (you know he's gonna chase the all-time wins record).
    maybe he actually likes working as k's righthand man and has no interest in being a head coach while waiting for the baton to pass to him. he certainly comes across as someone who is very happy with his current situation. some people actually value happiness more than money.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    maybe he actually likes working as k's righthand man and has no interest in being a head coach while waiting for the baton to pass to him. he certainly comes across as someone who is very happy with his current situation. some people actually value happiness more than money.
    Dukie8 - Outstanding post! There are many things in life more important than money. Happiness is at the top of the list.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

Who said anything about money? Coach Dawkins does seem happy at Duke but I would also think that he has dreams and ambitions of being the head coach of a national championship team. If he does take over for Coach K one day, he will most definately have that chance, but he would have to potentially wait a long long time before K steps down.

From Duke's Standpoint

How bout our next head coach is someone with actual head coaching experience? Maybe even a successful head coach?

How many Head Coaches with no previous head coaching experience have ever been successful when they merely inherit a program.

Look at Guthridge. No prior HC experience. Yes, he went to 2 final fours in 3 years. But, the first year it was with kids recruited entirely by Dean. The Second time, they were an 8 seed that surprised Stanford in the Second round, and most of the stars on that team were deans kids, with the Exception of that one kid whose name I can't remember who went pro too soon and disappeard. When he bailed, the team disintegrated due to what everyone widely acknowledged where Guts recruiting mistakes. Roy won with Dough's kids, remember, and Dough lost with Guts kids. Ironicle.

UCLA. The guy after Wooden won an NC with Wooden's recruits, and then donezo.

Maybe Dawk would be a good head coach. Maybe not. I would feel a lot better about handing the program to Dawk if K's two most high profile assistants to head coaches had not crashed and burned.

Quin was a disaster, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Amaker, while not a disaster, underwhelmed at a university where he was given ample chance to succeed. Yes, they were on probation when he got there, but that was forever ago, and he has failed to make the NCAAs with NCAA talent.

Capel is doing OK, but he was not an assistant under K, and would probably only come back if Duke tracked down every kid that booed him and made each boo-bird beg on bended knee for his services.

The Guy at Notre Dame, Brey, is not blowing wind up anyone's kilt. Not bad, not great. Slightly above mediocre.

Based on these guys, we are supposed to be exited about Dawkins without ever having seen him coach?

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Patrick Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    How many Head Coaches with no previous head coaching experience have ever been successful when they merely inherit a program.
    Just off the top of my head, Jamie Dixon (Pitt.) and Sean Miller (Xavier) come to mind. I'm sure there are more.

well...

dixon has been really good, i would wait on miller, matta hasnt been gone that long yet so i would wait to judge on him

Quote Originally Posted by Duke15304 View Post
    dixon has been really good, i would wait on miller, matta hasnt been gone that long yet so i would wait to judge on him
    Fair enough. How about Chris Lowery (3 years at Southern Illinois)?

i have to say

its somewhat debatable on that one...yea hes only been three yrs, but painter was only there 1 before, so there was alot of turnover, 3 coaches in 3 yrs so i think hes a pretty good coach, miller might be as well, i just say give him more time

How bout our next head coach is someone with actual head coaching experience? Maybe even a successful head coach?

UCLA. The guy after Wooden won an NC with Wooden's recruits, and then donezo.

Patrick Yates
    Gene Bartow followed John Wooden at UCLA and he did not win a NC. However, he had plenty of Head Coaching experience prior to his UCLA gig, including taking the Memphis Tigers to the National Championship game in 1973 (where he lost to John Wooden's UCLA Bruins).

Previous Head Coaching experience is nice but no guarantee of success.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

FWIW, Mike Brey was Big East Coach of the Year this season.

FWIW2, Everett Case, Dean Smith, and Vic Bubas had never been a college head coach before taking over at NCSU, UNC, and Duke respectively.

Roy Williams' first job was at a Kansas, coming off probation.

Steve Spurrier's first college head-coaching position was at Duke. That seemed to work.

Tom Izzo was promoted from assistant to head coach at MSU.

College-sports history is full of coaches who were successful in their first head-coaching position.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    FWIW, Mike Brey was Big East Coach of the Year this season.

FWIW2, Everett Case, Dean Smith, and Vic Bubas had never been a college head coach before taking over at NCSU, UNC, and Duke respectively.

Roy Williams' first job was at a Kansas, coming off probation.

Steve Spurrier's first college head-coaching position was at Duke. That seemed to work.

Tom Izzo was promoted from assistant to head coach at MSU.

College-sports history is full of coaches who were successful in their first head-coaching position.
    A curse upon you Jim!! I was all ready to pull out Izzo and Roy and you posted first!

As for a coach needing big-time experience-- you folks are aware that K coached a grand total of 5 years at Army before getting the Duke job, right? He was 23-28 in his final 2 years there.

-Jason "I think we have quite a while to worry about this one-- a decade I suspect" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    There are many things in life more important than money. Happiness is at the top of the list.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan
    I might add that Johnny made close to $13 million dollars during his time in the NBA (and probably had some decent endorsement money as well). He played in the league long enough so that he is likely looking at a pretty decent pension as well.

Oh, and I believe he is one of the best-paid assistant coaches in all of college basketball (wasn't it revealed recently that Coach G made less than Johnny?).

Johnny reportedly loves Durham and is quite happy in his job. He has no desire to be a head coach right now. If he did, I am sure he would get a fair number of offers.

I won't be at all shocked if JD retires when K does. The assumption that JD will take over the program is far from a done deal in my mind.

-Jason "and what is with the implication that Capel is on bad terms with Duke?!?!?" Evans

Joseph Forte

with the Exception of that one kid whose name I can't remember who went pro too soon and disappeard. When he bailed, the team disintegrated due to what everyone widely acknowledged where Guts recruiting mistakes.
    Patrick Yates
    I think Joseph Forte is the name you are looking for. I always thought Guthridge was just warming the seat until they could convince a more charismatic choice to show up. Fortunately for us, that turned out to be Matt Doherty.

Nail -> Head

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I won't be at all shocked if JD retires when K does. The assumption that JD will take over the program is far from a done deal in my mind.
    I'm right there with you Jason.

I've been lucky enough to chat with Johnny a few times and he seems very content. Something gave me the impression he likes being K's right hand man and doesn't want a head coach position -> here or elsewhere

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Oh, and I believe he is one of the best-paid assistant coaches in all of college basketball (wasn't it revealed recently that Coach G made less than Johnny?).
    Jason - you are correct as usual. I didn't mean to imply that JD wasn't adequately compensated for his current position. And, from my perspective, JD is worth every cent he is paid.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

Wojo to USA?

That's the University of South Alabama. In Mobile, birthplace of Tony Lang.

Apparently being mentioned as a possible successor to Johnny Pelphrey.

Wojo turned down Utah, so I doubt he has any interest in South Alabama.

Fair point. When was that, this year? Is he waiting for a really big fish or does he just want to stay at Duke?

^^Wojo certainly loves it at Duke, there is no question about that, but, if he does have aspirations of becoming a head coach one day, he will be taking one of these openings in the near future. Because, in my opinion, if anyone in the current Duke family is taking over the program when K leaves, it is Chris Collins. With that said, however, I don't think he takes the South Alabama job. I agree with watzone, if he tunred down Utah, then it wouldn't make much sense if Wojo signed with USA.

As for the Chris Collins possibility, Would anyone here like to see this happen? Say, after another five or six years learning from the legend? Chris is certainly passionate and devout enough to handle a head coaching job in Division I, but could he work in Durham? I think this will be an interesting question a few years down the road from now.