Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where is Phil Henderson?

In this article about auctions at a storage facility, "While the Star Wars stuff was a major score, Stafford said his biggest find was in a unit possibly belonging to former Duke basketball player Phil Henderson. Stafford said he turned up a ring belonging to Henderson and other memorabilia. After trying to locate him, Stafford turned the things over to a sports bar in Kansas."

Was it really that hard to find Phil Henderson?

devilish-

the last i heard from him he was playing in europe; dude had some hops and in my opinion (sordid, deluded or whatever) he STILL has the best DUNK in Duke history, over Zo Mourning. i've tried to practice that dunk and for years after he threw it down, i worked on it, but i couldn't even come close. kind of a two step then sideways and down like he's throwing away a sack of potatoes or something like that.

it gave me chills as you can tell it.

i remember ferry holding his hands on his head and staring at him in disbelief like 'oh my God'.

i got to speak to him after he left duke, when he attended a game once in cameron. he seemed rather disaffected and really passive.

he looked like superman on that dunk.

good old days.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    devilish-

dude had some hops and in my opinion (sordid, deluded or whatever) he STILL has the best DUNK in Duke history, over Zo Mourning. i've tried to practice that dunk
    Man, I'm impressed with your hops. When I try to practice the dunks of Duke players, I settle for Jay Bilas.

THE Dunk

Also my alltime favorite Duke Dunk. I've never heard Alonzo Mourning comment on it, have you?
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

blubones-

you remember that dunk i'm talking about, right? wasn't that just a portrait? i was so impressed with that athletic play on his part. he was so confident.

dth.

madscavenger-

no, i haven't heard anything from zo mourning on that play, but i'll bet you a five stamp he does remember it.

and, i have a dubious distinction from my days at the gothic playground; once, back in the day when we'd throw tennis balls across the court in pre-game warmups....we were playing clemson...and a tennis ball pops to me and the guy next to me goes 'just chunk it!' so i did...well, it was totally apparent that upon my release, the ball wasn't going to make it OVER HORACE GRANT who was trotting down the side of the court to catch the ball and do his lay-up....and yes, i clocked horace grant on his shoulder with a tennis ball at cameron i confess and i'm so sorry. he got angry. i was so embarrassed and i was very scared to tell you the brutal truth.

i really felt very bad about that but it's time to admit it after all these years.

i'm actually listening to some theme music from 'batman begins' and it's put me into the confessional mood tonight, so, i'm out of the closet on THE DING of HORACE GRANT in Cameron.

i'll bet you $15,000.00 that IF you see the guy in an airport, and you have the chance to chat it up with him, and then you casually ask 'hey, didn't you get beaned by a tennis ball at cameron during warm-ups?' he will remember that.

i'm sorry.

dth.

obviously I'm of a younger generation (I was REALLY young when Phil dunked over Zo), but Dahntay Jones dunk over the 7 footer from UVA followed by the push-ups has got to rank up there as well. . .

The Dunk

Oh how I remember that dunk.

Phil had this go-to move where he'd beat his man off the dribble from the wing towards the center of the court, but instead of taking it all the way to the basket, he'd pull up in the key just inside of the foul line and shoot a little 10-footer. It was pretty much automatic, and he avoided getting his shot rejected by stopping short of the big men.

Against Gtown this played out pretty much the same way it always did, and when he got inside the foul line he hesitated and his body looked set to take that little jumper. Except that time instead of pulling up he launched himself at the basket and dunked the damn ball. It was almost like Mourning had seen tape on Henderson and figured he'd pull up. He looked as shocked as anyone.

Henderson's dunk was a statement for Duke, as well. Alonzo or not, we were planning on winning this game. Only Duke dunk that compares is the Hurley-to-Hill beauty against Kansas.

There have been many great dunks by our guys, of course, but these two should have (and may have) counted for a bit more than two points.

In what year was this Dunk?

Was the game televised?

If so, why isn't the dunk on youtube?

The dunk was my senior year, 1989. Amazing. I'll have to dig out my yearbook, but I'm sure it was highlighted in there. (May have some old Chronicle clippings somewhere as well.)

The Duke alumni office seems to have updated info on Henderson. Did the storage unit guy even try contacting Duke? Weird...

Best Dunk

Gene Banks over Ralph Sampson in Charlottesville - the crowd let out an oooooooh, then went completely silent.

I've looked extensively for a video of that dunk to no avail. Perhaps some faithful Dukie will do us all the kind service of posting it. Mourning was THE dominant big man that year, and Phil completely humbled him (during the NCAA regional final, no less). For me, it is the 2nd greatest Duke memory next to the 'shot'.

here's a clip that shows the one I'm talking about (Dahntay over I believe its Chase Metheney, but I could be wrong on that, a 7-fter for UVA nonetheless)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72jcpQIxQtE

his dunk is actually in this clip twice, but the full clip, with the pushups that follow, is at 26 seconds. I'm still amazed he didn't get T'd up for it.

I will grant that it isn't all that meaningful (it was just a regular season game against UVA), but for the pure "facial" element, its amazing. He just jumps into, and over the guy. He's no Alonzo Mourning I guess, I'd have to see the Phil dunk to remind me I guess.
    Last edited by dukeENG2003; 04-05-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DankeShane View Post
    In what year was this Dunk?

Was the game televised?

If so, why isn't the dunk on youtube?
    1989 East Regional Finals (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by lazee View Post
    1989 East Regional Finals (I think)
    OK, well I'd be more than happy to volunteer to upload a clip on youtube if someone has this game on VHS and wants to mail me a copy. I need some sort of project to take my mind off the way things are going right now.

Best Duke Dunks

Other great Duke dunks I remember watching live over the last few years...

Corey Maggette rebound followover Temple's whole team in '99 Elite Eight

Dahntay Jones literally jumping entirely over an opposing player to dunk in the Maui Invitational

Corey Maggette on a breakaway dunking the absolute living crap out of the ball to the point it looked like he was gonna swing over and back flip back over the backboard like the rim was a trapeeze. I don't remember ever seeing a ball dunked harder. Actually even though this wasn't over anybody or in a big game, it probably left me with the biggest impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stealth View Post
    I don't remember ever seeing a ball dunked harder.
    Not to take this too far off topic, but you must be talking about Duke players, b/c a couple of Greg Oden's dunks in the NC game made me tell my wife "he really looks like he's about to rip the rim off, they must have made those things stronger since 'Big Country' Bryant Reeves shattered the glass a couple years back"

Phil was in Durham

Phil had a child in middle school in the Durham Public Schools about 5 years ago. That's all I know.

I remember Corey dunking on NC State I believe, and pulling himself up and slapping the backboard. I always enjoyed that one.