Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GHill/Hendo comparisons

Was just watching the 1992 game at the Nose Dome on ESPN Classic. Patrick and Vitale kept saying that although Grant was probably the most talented person on the court, he often removed himself from the action and played too passively. Hmm...where have I heard that before?

IMO, 91/92 Hill and 07/08 Henderson were very, very similar players. Both had the same issues to solve: suspect outside shooting, below average free throw shooting, and the tendency to avoid playing as aggressively enough to fully make use of their talents. You'll have to forgive my spotty recollection of Hill's first two years (I was 4/5 years old--cut me some slack ), but Henderson certainly appears be in the process of making the same kind of junior year leap that Grant did. Comparing anyone to Grant is high praise, but I think one could make the case that Henderson is worthy. Thoughts from those with better memories of Grant's first two seasons?

Slightly Fuzzy Memories...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCO2009 View Post
    Was just watching the 1992 game at the Nose Dome on ESPN Classic. Patrick and Vitale kept saying that although Grant was probably the most talented person on the court, he often removed himself from the action and played too passively. Hmm...where have I heard that before?

IMO, 91/92 Hill and 07/08 Henderson were very, very similar players. Both had the same issues to solve: suspect outside shooting, below average free throw shooting, and the tendency to avoid playing as aggressively enough to fully make use of their talents. You'll have to forgive my spotty recollection of Hill's first two years (I was 4/5 years old--cut me some slack ), but Henderson certainly appears be in the process of making the same kind of junior year leap that Grant did. Comparing anyone to Grant is high praise, but I think one could make the case that Henderson is worthy. Thoughts from those with better memories of Grant's first two seasons?
    but I seem to recall that Grant had a better handle than Gerald, even from the start.

I don't see. I've never seen it. They are too very different kind of players.

From the day Hill set foot on campus, it was clear that he was an extremely versatile all-around player whose greatest weakness might have been scoring. Henderson, by contrast, was a scorer who has needed to add other aspects to his game. If you compare the two in each category, there aren't many similarities:

-Ball-Handling: Hill was a superior ball handler, capable of going left and right with equal ease. This is why he actually ran the point at Duke when Hurley was out and after Hurley left. G is right hand dominant and doesn't have the same skills off the bounce.

-Court Vision: Hill was an excellent passer immediately, and that skill only grew as he got older. Henderson has grown a great deal since he was a freshman, but even in that regard, his vision is average at best.

-Shooting: Henderson actually has the better looking outside stroke. This was always the weakest part of Grant's game.

-Size: Grant is 6'8". Gerald is 6'4". Big difference.

-Athleticism: Both have/had incredible hops and explosive speed. Hill was quicker laterally. Henderson is stronger.

-Rebounding: Both were good for their size, though Hill was better.

-Defense: Not close. Hill could lock down anyone at virtually any position. Henderson is most valuable as a help defender -- Scheyer actually guards the other team's best wing player.

Overall, Grant Hill was a much, much better player than G. And G is pretty darn good.

There are similarities

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post

From the day Hill set foot on campus, it was clear that he was an extremely versatile all-around player whose greatest weakness might have been scoring. Henderson, by contrast, was a scorer who has needed to add other aspects to his game. If you compare the two in each category, there aren't many similarities:

-Ball-Handling: Hill was a superior ball handler, capable of going left and right with equal ease. This is why he actually ran the point at Duke when Hurley was out and after Hurley left. G is right hand dominant and doesn't have the same skills off the bounce.

-Court Vision: Hill was an excellent passer immediately, and that skill only grew as he got older. Henderson has grown a great deal since he was a freshman, but even in that regard, his vision is average at best.

-Shooting: Henderson actually has the better looking outside stroke. This was always the weakest part of Grant's game.

-Athleticism: Both have/had incredible hops and explosive speed. Hill was quicker laterally. Henderson is stronger.

-Defense: Not close. Hill could lock down anyone at virtually any position. Henderson is most valuable as a help defender -- Scheyer actually guards the other team's best wing player.

Overall, Grant Hill was a much, much better player than G. And G is pretty darn good.
    They both have first names that start with G and last names that start with H.

They both have fathers who were professional athletes.

Both fathers were born in January.

Both fathers have different first names than their sons- Gerald Sr. is actually Jerome.

They both jump really high and dunk effortlessly.

Other than that- they are pretty different players.

I disagree with most of your assessment of defensive ability. I was watching the game against UNC from last year and Henderson is a GREAT defender. Not only is he quick enough to stick with his man, but his athletic abilities allow him to block more shots than anyone his size, defend bigger players (Even Hanstravel), and rebound at another level than anyone at 6'4. G is as good if not better at defense than Grant Hill. (No disrespect)

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    but I seem to recall that Grant had a better handle than Gerald, even from the start.
    and he was 6'8"!!

I was going to make a point about GH and GH at least being comparable, but I reviewed Grant Hill's accomplishments, so I won't go there. Up till this season, Grant had career averages of 20 pts, 7 rebs, and 5 asst per game. He was either 1st or 2nd team All-Pro 4 different times in addition to being Rookie of the Year, multi-time All-Star, Gold Medal Winner, and of course 2-time NCAA Champ!

But I do think Gerald has a significant upside, which IMO could include being a starter in the NBA and possibly an All-Star.

I also think Gerald is the best dunker I've seen at Duke, and that includes some very good ones. He gets up very high and has excellent body control and awareness so he can catch the ball if it's anywhere close and make adjustments in the air.

I Love Henderson but...

I think people are forgetting just how great Grant Hill was...The season before his ankle injury he averaged 25.8 PPG, 6.6 Boards, and 5.2 Assists a game in THE LEAGUE. He was an amazing defender and had silly hops at
    6'8". By the way, Grant is a career 48.5% FG and over a 76% FT shooter in the NBA (the numbers are 53.8 and 69.8 at Duke for his career). Was he a pure shooter? No. Was he a good shooter? Absolutely.

Henderson is awesome...but me thinks G-Money is (at minimum) a lock First Teamer on the All-Time Duke team.

I agree with your assessments about their respective skills but the original poster was comparing their attitude/demeanor and I think that Hill is a good comparison for Henderson. They were both very athletically gifted and possessed unlimited potential coming out of high school and while they both made solid contributions their first 2 years, it always felt that we were only seeing glimpses of what they were capable of doing with a basketball. In their respective junior years they both finally started/starting to understand their talent levels and played/playing up to their potential. I think that is a real similarity.

I have also always thought that there was a real similarity to the aesthetics of their movements. Take skills out of the equation and simply watch their movements. When they cut to the basket, elevate for on a pull up j or go up to block a shot, if you squint just a little, I'm not sure you could tell which one is which (4 inches of height not withstanding).

Quote Originally Posted by dukediv2013 View Post
    I disagree with most of your assessment of defensive ability. I was watching the game against UNC from last year and Henderson is a GREAT defender. Not only is he quick enough to stick with his man, but his athletic abilities allow him to block more shots than anyone his size, defend bigger players (Even Hanstravel), and rebound at another level than anyone at 6'4. G is as good if not better at defense than Grant Hill. (No disrespect)
    I'm sorry, but G is many things. A great defender is not one of them. If he were a "great" defender he would draw the top opposing player every night (like Grant did). He doesn't. He doesn't even draw the top opposing wing -- Scheyer does. Again, G's best defensive skills are largely in help D -- jumping in the passing lanes, rotating over to block a shot, weakside rebounding. This stands out more to the untrained eye because they are "spectacular" in nature. But his fundamental D still leaves much room for improvement, particularly on the ball. Grant Hill did everything G could do, and locked down his man. Night and day.

Gerald's game reminds me more of David Thompson's. Did I ever mention that before?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Both fathers have different first names than their sons- Gerald Sr. is actually Jerome.
    Gerald has a secretary named "Hill" and Grant had a secretary named "Henderson" . . .Both had successors named Johnson ?

I agree with all of this

The main similarities are that they are absolutely spectacular in the air and have fathers who were pro athletes.

Otherwise, they are quite different. And Grant had a pretty good sophomore year. One can certainly argue he was the best player in the Final Four that year.

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by dukediv2013 View Post
    It's not even close. Grant by a mile. The Suns still use him on opposing point guards in a crisis.

Grant Hill was one of the great Duke basketball players. He was an important part of 4 teams, two of which were national champs and one of which (the 1994 team that he carried) lost in the final game. His jersey was retired. There's no need to talk about his NBA career here.

Gerald has yet to prove that he's a star for an entire season. He's good and may become very good. But I doubt that he'll be talked about in the future as one of the great players in Duke basketball history. Maybe he'll make an All-ACC team this year or next.

I was at Duke for Grant's junior and senior years. IMO, Jumbo's breakdown is pretty much on the money. With regards to Grant's outside shooting, I don't remember him as a poor outside shooter. He simply didn't shoot very much from outside during his first 3 years (quite possibly because he wasn't a great shooter, or possibly because that's not what those teams needed from him). In his first 3 seasons at Duke, he attempted a total of only 17 3-point shots: Fresh 1-2 Soph 0-1 Jr 4-14. Finally, in his Senior season, he started to extend his game and shot 39-100 from behind the arc.
    Defensively, he was one of Duke's all time greats. He won the Iba award in 1993. Does anyone remember the play when he single-handedly broke up a 3-on-1 (or was it a 4-on-1?) UNC fast break at Cameron.

Hm... I think most of the comparisons are made because of...

1) Them both being super smooth when moving towards the basket.

2) Both have a smooth release on their shot.

3) Both carry themselves in a rather composed fashion and usually seem to generally be calm and un-emotional.

4) They both have incredible, effortless ups.

5) Both have dads of some athletic fame.

and

6) In a vague way they look vaguely alike, with some similar facial hair at times and a few other similar features.

Not quite

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post

Upon further analysis I learned that G's real name is Jerome. Grant and G are less alike than I originally thought.

6F) [Recruit/current player] reminds me of [previous Duke player, usu. of same race and somatype, but not necessarily game].

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    6F) [Recruit/current player] reminds me of [previous Duke player, usu. of same race and somatype, but not necessarily game].
    *laugh* Not quite sure that 6F applies here, as there seem to be SOME similarities between their games, no? Hey; some smart folks have even made the comparison (including, I think, Jay Bilas?)