Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Calling All Crazies (Past and Present)

That wise sage MulletMan likes to say that each generation of Crazies needs to make Cameron its own. I agree whole-heartedly.

That said, (and I apologize for violating any part of Throaty's Handy Pocket Guide) there comes a time to step up your game. And that time is Wednesday night.

Be original. You guys have your routines. The normal cadences. The go-to chants. The thing with the baby. Time to come up with something new. Or many new things. And that process is often aided by remembering what is now old. Some of our long-time members have great stories to share, and hopefully they'll do so here. Collaboration across generations is a wonderful thing.

Be clever. Learn everything you can about Carolina. Scout them. Know their weaknesses. Hansbrough walks, right? Maybe you can find a way to keep that in the officials' minds all game, and maybe that goes beyond simply chanting "Hansbrough travels" (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap). Find every (acceptable) way to shock UNC, to get in their heads, to give Duke an advantage.

Be spontaneous. Pay attention to the game, not just the event. Recognize who needs help out on the floor, who needs to be shut down and what's worthy of comment. And make those comments something more inventive than "Boo," or repeating a player's name, or adding the word "sucks" after that name.

Most importantly, be LOUD.

A building can win a game. It just needs your help.

Do your thing. Make your mark. Show the college basketball world why the Crazies earned -- and still deserve -- their reputation as the loudest, wildest, wittiest, most informed and best crowd in the country.

Ex-Crazies, please join in with your memories/ideas. Current Crazies, go out and top them.

I like "Tyler Hansbrough, playing in the key, W-A-L-K-I-N-G" repeated ad nauseum

just an idea

I think every time Tyler touches the ball, all of the Crazies should make the traveling motion with their hands and scream for a travel regardless. EVERY TIME! I'm sure Mickie would join in.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I think every time Tyler touches the ball, all of the Crazies should make the traveling motion with their hands and scream for a travel regardless. EVERY TIME! I'm sure Mickie would join in.
    err, we already do...the current chant is (First section of cameron (Grad perhaps)): TYLER TRAVELS (Student Section): EVERY TIME!
    *Repeat ad nauseum.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    err, we already do...the current chant is (First section of cameron (Grad perhaps)): TYLER TRAVELS (Student Section): EVERY TIME!
    *Repeat ad nauseum.
    That's good. Now aim for better!

Other ideas...

1) "GOOD Tie (thumbs up for tie ball)... BAD Ty (point at lawson)"

2) "Lil' Wayne (Point at Ellington during warmups) ... Big G (point at henderson)"

3) Let's see some Kermit the Frog puppets/posters with signs that say "It's not easy being green" or "NBA scouts will tell you, It's not easy being green"

4) Will Graves, meet Mr. Textbook ... Mr. Textbook, Will Graves.

5) If Jay Williams is at the game (i bet he will be) "Good Williams (point at Jay)... Bad Williams (point at roy)"

or... "Good Williams (point at E-will)... Bad Williams (point at Roy)"

6) "Hansbrough, how do you know what Bobby does in the Shower?" ... or other signs related to his freestyle rap.

7) "Athlete's foot= Redshirt at Carolina (see- Ginyard, Marcus)"

Walker Tyler Ranger

There's no place like home. Referring to Kansas for Roy.

When Tyler touches the ball One Step Two Step Three Step Score

What's wrong with, for Hanstravel??

Walk, Walk, Jay Hawk!!!? Some of the new with some of the old. Just have to do it in proper cadence, which is a long Waaaaalk, Waaaaaalk, Jaaaaaay, Haaaaaawk! Crazies need to listen to it first and get it down properly to work.

From the creator of "Sweat, Gary, Sweat!!"
    9F9F9F!!!

GO DUKE!!! GTHC, GTH!!!!

Anyone remember -- "Watch Warren Walk"?!?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog44 View Post
    Walker Tyler Ranger

There's no place like home. Referring to Kansas for Roy.

When Tyler touches the ball One Step Two Step Three Step Score
    Don't say "Score" that'll only seem like you're encouraging him! Put in "more" or something else.

A comment on this thread. For the Carolina game, it's not normally about the clever sayings (during the game) it's all about volume. NEver, ever let up.

To the students, please don't forget about getting the upstairs involved, and in more ways that chanting "stand up". Keep the simple cheers like "Let's Go Duke" at a reasonable cadence so that those upstairs and keep up. And if the Devil is reading, come on up during play to lead cheers. And please, don't let the loudest cheer of the night be for somebody not on the court like it has been for a couple of games this year (ie, the cheer at the 3rd media timeout of the first half. If you skipped this cheer, the universe and the team would survive.)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Other ideas...

1) "GOOD Tie (thumbs up for tie ball)... BAD Ty (point at lawson)"

2) "Lil' Wayne (Point at Ellington during warmups) ... Big G (point at henderson)"

3) Let's see some Kermit the Frog puppets/posters with signs that say "It's not easy being green" or "NBA scouts will tell you, It's not easy being green"

4) Will Graves, meet Mr. Textbook ... Mr. Textbook, Will Graves.

5) If Jay Williams is at the game (i bet he will be) "Good Williams (point at Jay)... Bad Williams (point at roy)"

or... "Good Williams (point at E-will)... Bad Williams (point at Roy)"

6) "Hansbrough, how do you know what Bobby does in the Shower?" ... or other signs related to his freestyle rap.

7) "Athlete's foot= Redshirt at Carolina (see- Ginyard, Marcus)"
    I'm not sure about some of these (although some could work as signs more than chants). But the Green thing reminded me of something -- it's always fun to mess with players about their future prospects. I would LOVE to see a full-size cutout of Hansbrough ... in say, a Real Madrid or a CSKA Moscow jersey. Or maybe even the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Might as well remind him where his future lies.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Walk, Walk, Jay Hawk!!!? Some of the new with some of the old. Just have to do it in proper cadence, which is a long Waaaaalk, Waaaaaalk, Jaaaaaay, Haaaaaawk! Crazies need to listen to it first and get it down properly to work.

9F9F9F!!!

GO DUKE!!! GTHC, GTH!!!!
    I like that one, especially if the cadence mimics the cadence of some of the Carolina cheers... think about the cadence when they spell out Carolina.

Some of the best humor from the Crazies in the past included the "reenactments" which used to take place before some of the games.... the guy who would impersonate Norm Sloan's wife and the way she used to sing the National Anthem at State. Or all the Crazies with bald domes on to look like Lefty Drisell. Or the posters of Lefty's face with a gas gauge on the forehead reading on E.

If you're going to do something with walking or traveling, incorporate elements clearly mimicing Bobby Knight's video.

Bobby Knight has said Duke has the best offensive spacing and used it as a model for others. Can you use that in a clever way?

Speaking of "reenactments," how about a group mimicing Carolina on the court, demonstrating the five steps before Tyler shoots... or other patterns you've noticed when Carolina plays.... like Danny Green's dancing.

Rewrite the words to the Carolina fight song so that they praise Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    *Repeat ad nauseum.
    I think I have also heard this one:

Tyler shuffles his feet: clap/clap

VERY IMPORTANT! Keep the volume up Especially through 30 second timeouts taken by Roy when we start to go on a run. He rarely takes timeouts to stop the bleeding except at Cameron... Don't let up during these timeouts!!!

I'll be there helping out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post

Rewrite the words to the Carolina fight song so that they praise Duke.
    Now that is clever. Probably too much work for them to organize in less than 48 hours, but really clever.

9F9F9F!!!

GO DUKE!!! GTHC, GTH!!!!
    Well, except that he's not a Jayhawk. And Roy left Kansas a while ago. On the other hand, they did get embarrassed by Kansas in the FF.

The other thing to exploit is UNC's fragile chemistry. These are guys who care deeply about their touches, and they certainly all don't get along. Might want to find a way to point that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I'm not sure about some of these (although some could work as signs more than chants). But the Green thing reminded me of something -- it's always fun to mess with players about their future prospects. I would LOVE to see a full-size cutout of Hansbrough ... in say, a Real Madrid or a CSKA Moscow jersey. Or maybe even the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Might as well remind him where his future lies.
    yah, most of them are meant to be signs...

I like the Ginyard one and Green one the most

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Now that is clever. Probably too much work for them to organize in less than 48 hours, but really clever.
    Thank you kind, sir. It's amazing what you can do with a Duke education.

9F9F9F!!!

GO DUKE!!! GTHC, GTH!!!!

Don't get me wrong... the Kansas-themed cheers were great in 2004. Replacing the unc starting 5 with the Kansas starting 5 in the "Hi ____" player introductions was awesome. Rock chalk jayhawk was funny. And the There's no place like home was classic. I distinctly remember being very happy when Roy Williams flipped off the student section and then came out for the 2nd half with a big piece of duct tape that he put over the "DUKE" on his chair. (A tradition which he still continues I believe). Obviously we touched a nerve back then. But don't you think it's a little too far removed at this point?

I tend to agree with the above poster... just be crazy loud the entire time.

I also really like the idea of the entire student section rolling their arms to signal a "travel" every time Hansbrough touches it. If everyone kept that up for a while, that would be great. I think visually it would be awesome, and I think it would be even more effective than a verbal chant. Maybe add in the "wooo wooo" thing that the grad students do with the arm rolling during some free throws. That's definitely never been done during play, or if it has, it's never been done effectively enough to be noticed.

I think all the suggestions are funny and could be great... wouldnt it be awesome to do things for our own team to keep the intensity up the entire game. Like wouldn't it be amazing if the cheerleaders or band members ran out onto the court and did a few floor slaps!? Or imitated danny green dancing right at center court! Maybe that instead of that boring new cheer the cheerleaders do during tv timeouts!

Also, I hope the devil takes the muppet out on the surf board!