Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's your best comeback line?

I'm sure many of us work and have friends who are true Duke haters and last night's defeat allows them to gloat. My question is what's the best comeback you've been able to give out today?

I'm most proud of these two after I was consoled by a UVA fan in the office?

"Buz, (my dear UVA pal) I don't how you guys watch losses like that 8 or 9 times a year"

"You're right Buz, Duke basketball is probably on the downhill slide, just think, our football team's margin of victory over you guys was bigger than the basketball team's."

There's nothing better than being a Duke Fan!!!!

I usually complain about living where no watches or cares about basketball, but I am very happy of that today!!

I have a few people at work that will just ask what happened as they only look at scores but they are very nice.

I have some friends who give me a hard time just because they know I am a huge fan but they know jack about basketball, again only seeing scores.

I don't usually say much back but agree Duke played poorly, Clemson played outstanding and we deserved the loss. It shuts them up actually!

How about "You're fired!"

Just kidding. I actually just accept the abuse as part of the overall fun of being a fanatic. You gotta take it if you're gonna dish it, and frankly, we don't have to take it very often. I'm okay with whatever "abuse" my friends, co-workers, and acquaintances want to dish out at me. If they go to far, I don't respond much, I just take it and make a mental note and hope that someday I can repay them appropriately.

As long as the abuse is in good spirit, I usually just take it. But if I detect some meanness, I definitely take note and wait for payback time. I feel lucky Duke doesn't usually make me wait long for that.

Quote Originally Posted by brianl View Post
    I'm sure many of us work and have friends who are true Duke haters and last night's defeat allows them to gloat. My question is what's the best comeback you've been able to give out today?

I'm most proud of these two after I was consoled by a UVA fan in the office?

"Buz, (my dear UVA pal) I don't how you guys watch losses like that 8 or 9 times a year"

"You're right Buz, Duke basketball is probably on the downhill slide, just think, our football team's margin of victory over you guys was bigger than the basketball team's."

There's nothing better than being a Duke Fan!!!!
    I just like to tell whoever lays the smack on me that the last thing I want is the world to NOT care when Duke loses. That'll be the day that Duke basketball has truly lost it's edge. As long as people keep hating us and keep rubbing it in after every loss, it means that, recent losses notwithstanding, we're doing fine.

I sent an email to a couple that my wife and I are friends with that are 'holes fans this morning before they had a chance to rub it in. It went something like:

Obviously what happened last night was the Bluedevils attempt to sucker you guys into thinking we stink. This way when you come to Cameron next week we will have suckered you into thinking you are going to roll over us. Man Coach K is smart! I would have never thought of doing something like that.

They got a kick out of it.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Julie the Carolina lovin' ICU nurse: "Your team's loss last night was really bad."

Me the smug Dukie doc: "Yeah. It was almost as embarrassing as BC beating Carolina in the Dean Dome."

Not a comeback per se, but somebody on my team is a Wake grad. This morning I came in and said:

"You know, After the Wake/Miami game I was going to come in today and ask you how in the world you guys could lose by 27 on the road when you were a top 10 team. But then I watched Duke/Clemson 2 hours later and I had my answer."
    "There can BE only one."

My comeback

"I'm a fan whether we lose by 27 or win by 27."

After a 27 point loss? There is no comeback. You just shake your head.

Most of the time the moment provides something, though. I recall a former co-worker bringing a Tar Heel stuffie that played their fight song to a meeting after a Duke loss. I asked him if those are the things they use to pipe crowd noise into the Dean Dome. I won.

I'm surrounded by UK fans who always like to give me a hard time. But this season the comebacks are pretty easy, i simply have to give them three letters and shut up pretty quickly . . . "V.M.I"

unc fan: "man, you guys were TERRIBLE last night.!"

you: "man, we did Not show up.....thank god it wasn't in the final four to our coach's old school when everyone had us suited up for the national title....that would have REALLY been awful !!"
    Last edited by moonpie23; 02-05-2009 at 04:32 PM.

My reply to smug Carolina fans: Well, at least Clemson is a ranked team.

And we didn't lose to them at HOME.

The worst...

...is hearing from Clemson grad friends who wouldn't know a basketball from an egg roll but suddenly are HUGE fans and want to talk smack. On the other hand, it's easy to say "well, when Clemson beats us 15 times in a row IN OUR HOUSE, then you can talk smack." Or you say, as I did, "Yeah, it was really bad; I mean it WAS almost as bad as the butt-kicking your guys got from Carolina."

Or: "well, of course you're pumped. Obviously you think that beating Duke it's the biggest sports event of your life. I don't blame you for being all excited. Who, knows, in another 15 years you may do it again!"

To the rest of the world, you just say "well, it's the law of averages, man. You can only beat one team for so many years. I mean, you go like 20 years owning a team, and eventually your HAVE to lose a game. I mean, eventually the law of average caught up with even the Celtics and UCLA!"

Right now my best comeback line is "go die in a fire."

I will consider adopting some of your more clever ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    ...is hearing from Clemson grad friends who wouldn't know a basketball from an egg roll but suddenly are HUGE fans and want to talk smack. On the other hand, it's easy to say "well, when Clemson beats us 15 times in a row IN OUR HOUSE, then you can talk smack." Or you say, as I did, "Yeah, it was really bad; I mean it WAS almost as bad as the butt-kicking your guys got from Carolina."

Or: "well, of course you're pumped. Obviously you think that beating Duke it's the biggest sports event of your life. I don't blame you for being all excited. Who, knows, in another 15 years you may do it again!"

To the rest of the world, you just say "well, it's the law of averages, man. You can only beat one team for so many years. I mean, you go like 20 years owning a team, and eventually your HAVE to lose a game. I mean, eventually the law of average caught up with even the Celtics and UCLA!"

Regarding the mention of beating Duke as one of the biggest sports events in your life.

UVA has the game ball on display in the JPJ from their road win vs Duke back in 95.

"No hablo ingles"

top 10 team and they still rushed the court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blue Devil View Post
    I don't usually say much back but agree Duke played poorly, Clemson played outstanding and we deserved the loss. It shuts them up actually!
    I went to grad school at Clemson. Still follow their football team some. My family lives in Upstate SC. So the Clemson die hards here at work have found me today. I mean not only am I Duke fan, I'm a Duke fan and a traitor! I've had fun with it (let go of my angst last night). I took the tact listed above, and just talked about how well the Tigers played and how surprised I was that Duke didn't show up.

UNC fan coworker: "Man, what happened to your team last night?"

Me: "Have you ever seen that video of that woman trying to cross the railroad tracks when that train comes speeding out of nowhere...."