Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

HBO: Battle For Tobacco Road

HBO is going to be airing a one hour show, "The Battle For Tobacco Road," on the Duke-UNC rivalry scheduled for 2/23 at 9PM.

This is after the first Carolina game but a week before the second. Odd timing.

HBO's thinking

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    HBO is going to be airing a one hour show, "The Battle For Tobacco Road," on the Duke-UNC rivalry scheduled for 2/23 at 9PM.

The reason for waiting for the 2nd game is they want to see unc beat us after suffering an embarassing defeat in CIS. Go Duke!

Not strange timing at all. Provides something for people to view if they're not participating in Mardi Gras festivities.

As I mentioned before, they'd probably have Triangle screenings provided by the cable company.

Well, here you go: http://www.yourtwc.com/hboduke/

HBO: Battle For Tobacco Road

Not sure how to embed a Youtube clip here, but the the trailer for the HBO special has been released. The special will air for the first time February 23rd.

Here's the link to view the trailer.

I can't wait.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that find

I will definitely be adding HBO for this.

I'm pretty excited too. My only beef is their line, "You've got the locals vs. the outsiders, you've got the rich vs. the middle class . . ." That has to be a UNC fan making that gross overgeneralization. Not only is it somewhat inaccurate, it's hypocritical. Has any UNC fan turned their nose up at Hansbrough for being from Missouri?

I agree - hate that line.

Not to mention that North Carolina is the most represented state out of all undergraduates at Duke.

Hey, at least they put Duke first in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    I'm pretty excited too. My only beef is their line, "You've got the locals vs. the outsiders, you've got the rich vs. the middle class . . ." That has to be a UNC fan making that gross overgeneralization. Not only is it somewhat inaccurate, it's hypocritical. Has any UNC fan turned their nose up at Hansbrough for being from Missouri?
    Or Tywon Lawson (Maryland), Wayne Ellington (Philadelphia), Danny Green (Long Island), Ed Davis (Virginia), Tyler Zeller (Indiana, Larry Drew (California)

They've had to rely on out-of-state talent as much as any program outside of, well, Kansas and Kentucky. From Frank McGuire's original pipeline to Dexter Strickland, they've never objected to receiving basketball players from this area either.

There was also a slight pause when the person said, "rich versus middle class"- as though the person didn't want to fall into the trap of self-describing the legion of UNC-CH fans as "poor," instead opting for the more palatable and universal "middle class" description.

The Shot

In the trailer, the last video clip they show is The Shot (Duke vs UK), whereas the rest of the video shows footage from great Duke-UNC games.

While I always enjoy seeing those 2.1 seconds, it seemed a little out of place.

In the trailer, the last video clip they show is The Shot (Duke vs UK), whereas the rest of the video shows footage from great Duke-UNC games.

While I always enjoy seeing those 2.1 seconds, it seemed a little out of place.
    They also showed Jordan's clincher* against Georgetown in the '82 title game... albeit an angle that I'd not seen before.

* You know, clincher minus the part where Georgetown litterally hands the ball over to Worthy. Don't you love how Dean had to have both of his titles gifted to him? I know I do
    WWJDD?

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...ls_dukein.html

"Tobacco Road" points out, more than once, that Duke students are not reclamation projects. Many come from top prep schools, and most are headed toward high-level, lucrative lives.

http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=14421

UNC intellectual Bomani Jones was taped for this documentary.

Highlights of the documentary

"F*** you Dean!"
    -Coach K

"You learn to see the beauty of it all"
    -Narrator as goofy picture of Hansbrough with two pieces of gauze stuck up his nostrils comes on the screen

Just finished watching the program. I thought it was generally well done - the first half was almost exclusively about UNC, the second half was mostly about Duke.

There were certainly a few shots at Duke, including some random kid from UMD who just lobbed insults at us during his eight seconds on camera. Bomani was less acerbic than I thought he would be, though he certainly doesn't seem to have any great feelings for Duke.

What did other people think? I certainly learned some things about the rivalry and about some of the past games.

Not nearly as balanced as the show they did for OSU/Michigan football rivalry.

Jim Sumner looks good on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by 91devil View Post

There were certainly a few shots at Duke, including some random kid from UMD who just lobbed insults at us during his eight seconds on camera. Bomani was less acerbic than I thought he would be, though he certainly doesn't seem to have any great feelings for Duke.
    That kid was the one who did "This is Why Duke Sucks." Hardly a credible source.