Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JJ comment on pro vs. college

Ouch...

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nba/story/4434692/
    Redick's alma mater, Duke, recently rose to the No. 1 national ranking only to lose the next time out to Wake Forest. Though Redick missed that game for a John Legend concert, he admitted it's weird to watch Duke now that he's in the NBA.

"It's actually kind of hard for me to watch college basketball now," Redick said. "The level of play is remarkably different."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Ouch...

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nba/story/4434692/
    Redick's alma mater, Duke, recently rose to the No. 1 national ranking only to lose the next time out to Wake Forest. Though Redick missed that game for a John Legend concert, he admitted it's weird to watch Duke now that he's in the NBA.

"It's actually kind of hard for me to watch college basketball now," Redick said. "The level of play is remarkably different."
    It's true. For all the people that badmouth the NBA, the quality of play is MUCH higher than college. It's just that the quality of play is higher on both ends of the floor. Players are bigger, stronger, more athletic, and have better skills. It's a big reason why a guy like Reddick can dominate the college game but struggle to be a consistent presence in the pros.

And I wouldn't watch the NBA if you paid me. Literally. While the level of skill is clearly not the same, neither is the level of heart or commitment or willingness-to-get-floorburns.

Honestly, the high level of skill in the NBA almost makes it LESS interesting to me... seeing college kids really have to work for it makes it almost more worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    And I wouldn't watch the NBA if you paid me. Literally. While the level of skill is clearly not the same, neither is the level of heart or commitment or willingness-to-get-floorburns.

Honestly, the high level of skill in the NBA almost makes it LESS interesting to me... seeing college kids really have to work for it makes it almost more worthwhile.
    I sympathize with this sentiment, but the sheer number of games makes it impossible for even the most dedicated players to dive after every loose ball. You've got to pace yourself and take care of yourself in the NBA. If there were only 30-35 games in the regular season, I think the regular season would be far more similar to the college games in terms of visible signs of hustle (diving into the stands, floor-burns, etc.). You definitely see that in the playoffs and in high profile regular season games (or high stakes regular season games). What hurts the perception of the NBA are the multitude of games between teams with nothing really to play for except better odds in the draft lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I sympathize with this sentiment, but the sheer number of games makes it impossible for even the most dedicated players to dive after every loose ball. You've got to pace yourself and take care of yourself in the NBA. If there were only 30-35 games in the regular season, I think the regular season would be far more similar to the college games in terms of visible signs of hustle (diving into the stands, floor-burns, etc.). You definitely see that in the playoffs and in high profile regular season games (or high stakes regular season games). What hurts the perception of the NBA are the multitude of games between teams with nothing really to play for except better odds in the draft lottery.
    Completely agree. A regular season game in the NBA isn't as important as a regular season game in college. Unlike college basketball, the NBA is all about the playoffs (and no, I don't think college basketball is all about March. March is a hell of a good time, but games like the Wake game a couple of days ago are incredible as well. you don't get that in college).

I personally like the NBA. I don't watch it as much or as frequently, but the sheer athleticism is incredible. It's like watching 5 Hendersons on the court at the same time. That said, the college game still trumps the NBA.

I caught most of the interview on the radio today. It was lunchtime when I heard it and JJ sounded like he had just rolled out of bed and was distracted by the ESPN ticker he was watching while talking. Many of the answers were a rephrasing of the question just asked. It was not JJ at his best.

Unless there is a marquis matchup when the teams play for pride, I don't bother watching any regular season NBA games. I will watch playoffs, although even then I usually skip the first round unless my home team is in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Unless there is a marquis matchup when the teams play for pride, I don't bother watching any regular season NBA games. I will watch playoffs, although even then I usually skip the first round unless my home team is in it.
    Marquis de Sade
    marquee matchup

Well, duh. The worst team in the NBA would still cream the best team in the NCAA every year.

Still, I enjoy college ball a lot more. More passion and teamwork in my opinion.

I've always watched a fair amount of NBA ball along with college (especially the playoffs), but this year I've spent even more time than usual watching NBA regular season games...and I agree with JJ.

College is great because of the intensity, no question -- there are too many regular season games in the NBA (just as there are too many in major league baseball...it's all about the money), and at this time of year, when there are a few teams that are clearly established as terrible, and some of the better teams are going through a slump, some matchups can be a real chore to watch.

But the overall level of play in the pros is incredibly high, and it isn't all about ten great athletes running out on the floor and rolling the ball out to have them go at it. There are a lot of nuances on offense and defense, changes in rhythm, matchups between various lineups and different players, and the pro game has become much more finesse oriented on the perimeter (some would say too much so) and more players have become very versatile in the range of inside and outside skills they possess.

The interesting thing is that when they did the announcer swap on ESPN (Vitale doing an NBA game, Van Gundy-Jackson doing the college game), I think even Vitale was surprised at how much depth there was in the NBA game. You hear him drop in things in his broadcasts now like how the college game should implement the restricted area for charges that the NBA uses. Doug Collins, in turn, laments how much more physical the college game has gotten relative to the pros.

I think it's good to watch both -- the best college matchups have crazy intensity that's hard to duplicate in the average NBA game, but a good NBA matchup has plenty of rewards for the passionate basketball fan as well.

I think the NBA is great, and I think a lot of fans that were lost in the post Jordan era have missed the dawn of a great new generation of players that really started with Kobe and KG, picked up steam with the Brand-era and took off with the Lebron, DWade, Dwight Howard era. Anytime Lebron is on TV, it is worth watching.

I never played pro ball but I would have been completely frustrated with the difference in the feeling, in my shooting hand, between a Top Flight ball and the NBA ball. Maybe the biggest trouble would have been with me rather than others.

curiousity

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I never played pro ball but I would have been completely frustrated with the difference in the feeling, in my shooting hand, between a Top Flight ball and the NBA ball. Maybe the biggest trouble would have been with me rather than others.

Who are you Mojo? Were you really All-ACC.
    Is so that would be interesting.
    My apologies if this is already known to most on here.......

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeford View Post
    Who are you Mojo? Were you really All-ACC.
    Is so that would be interesting.
    My apologies if this is already known to most on here.......
    Who? Just a fan.
    Was I? No.
    Interesting? Quite possibly.
    No apology necessary.

I haven't watched the NBA (aside from a random game here and there) since I was 9 years old. That's the age that I discovered college basketball. I'd much rather watch scrappy kids play for heart and pride, than grown conditioned men play for millions.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    Well, duh. The worst team in the NBA would still cream the best team in the NCAA every year.

Still, I enjoy college ball a lot more. More passion and teamwork in my opinion.
    Remember back in 99 people debating whether Duke could beat the Clippers, but then Duke went out and lost to UCONN in the Championship team.

Quote Originally Posted by bludvlman View Post
    Remember back in 99 people debating whether Duke could beat the Clippers, but then Duke went out and lost to UCONN in the Championship team.
    As much as I try to forget, I do still remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    While this is a valid way to compare the sports, the NBA's high level of play creates a clear hierarchy of teams, where the more talented team generally wins. There's really no such thing as an upset in the NBA regular season, which can diminish the viewers' excitement considerably.

College basketball is less structured and has more erratic play, which creates an unpredictable environment where upsets are common. To this viewer, that makes the game as a whole better to watch, whether Duke is playing or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bludvlman View Post
    Actually, I still do think that Duke team could have beaten that Clippers team. They were that good. The loss to UConn doesn't diminish it. I note that Brand and Maggette have had nearly ten year careers in the league, on the verge of all-star level in a number of years. Battier came out later but has been a fairly consistent starter through most of his career. And the Clippers really, really sucked bad.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Actually, I still do think that Duke team could have beaten that Clippers team. They were that good. The loss to UConn doesn't diminish it. I note that Brand and Maggette have had nearly ten year careers in the league, on the verge of all-star level in a number of years. Battier came out later but has been a fairly consistent starter through most of his career. And the Clippers really, really sucked bad.
    We might be able to take them, the fact is that Duke shot really poorly in that game and our starting five was really good. Battier was decent then but didn't take off until the next year.

G Langdon
    G Avery
    F Carrawell
    F Battier
    C Brand

With Burgess and Maggette being the main bench guys.

I think that was the most talented team Duke has ever had including our three title teams. I think that Avery might have been the best PG Duke ever had if he would have stayed for four years, he was so good.