Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duke concerts

Duke concerts

Watching Bruce Springsteen perform at halftime of the Super Bowl reminded me that I first saw the E Street band "live" at Cameron Indoor Stadium in the early 70's. Are campus concerts still held at CIS? I am curious which bands have played at Duke over the years. I remember seeing the following: The Grateful Dead, Yes, The Allman Brothers, Rod Stewart, Joni Mitchell, Seals and Crofts, Loggins and Messina, Bonnie Raitt, and Crosby/Nash.

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    Watching Bruce Springsteen perform at halftime of the Super Bowl reminded me that I first saw the E Street band "live" at Cameron Indoor Stadium in the early 70's. Are campus concerts still held at CIS? I am curious which bands have played at Duke over the years. I remember seeing the following: The Grateful Dead, Yes, The Allman Brothers, Rod Stewart, Joni Mitchell, Seals and Crofts, Loggins and Messina, Bonnie Raitt, and Crosby/Nash.
    Moody Blues too, I believe (Fall 1970 or Spribg 1971, I think)

Doobie Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    I saw Bruce also. I enjoyed the 2nd hand cannabis.

Rolling Stones in Wallace Wade!! Fall Break/October 2005. Amazing.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The only show I saw in Cameron was Echo and the Bunnymen. I remember commercials for 10,000 Maniacs, I didn't realize that was a band, I thought they were talking about the Crazies.
    I used to see shows in Page, too. My list for Page is
    Steven Wright (comedian)
    Mike Cross
    Love and Rockets (opened by Jane's Addiction, before anyone knew who they were)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Let's see if I can list a few.... the Shirelles, Martha and the Vandellas, Al Hirt, the Temptations, the Platters. Ike and Tina Turner performed for a university sponsored event at an off campus venue (Stallion Club)

Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs were a popular choice for floating building.

Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts were frequently featured at the Chinese Open House hosted by the Zebes over semester break.

Bob Newhart performed in what was then Indoor Stadium.

I am so Old! Saw Dionne Warwick and Chicago at Cameron.

Dave Matthews Band in Few Quad, fall of 1993 - no one knew anything about them yet (unless you had friends from C'ville), as they had just release their very first album that October. I was standing right under Dave's mic the entire time.

Sounds like Duke used to get a much better line-up of big acts back in the day - when I was there, I recall Rusted Root, and that's about it. (Oh, and De La Soul, but they only played about 15 minutes...)

Fall 1973:
    Marshall Tucker Band, New Riders of the Purple Sage, and Commander Cody and His Lost Airmen
    ~rthomas

I saw Paul Young in '86, REM in '87, and the Spin Doctors in '93ish. The acoustics are horrible for concerts in Cameron. REM was just loud noise, you couldn't even decipher the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    REM was just loud noise, you couldn't even decipher the songs.
    Never mind . . . that is just too easy

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Never mind . . . that is just too easy
    Yeah, I figured I'd be walking into something with that line. But this was back when they were still pretty good.

More recently in CIS there has been Death Cab for Cutie, Franz Ferdinand, Ludacris...Ben Folds performed in Page (I think he's slated for LDOC this year...) that's all I can remember. For LDOC there has been Kanye West, Guster, Jason Mraz, Common, Third Eye Blind, Collective Soul...

I saw The Byrds get booed with half the crowd leaving (maybe 1970), after a rousing set by Poco, the opening act.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Yeah, I figured I'd be walking into something with that line. But this was back when they were still pretty good.
    I actually like them okay, it was just too easy a line to pass up! By the way, what did folks think of Bruce's set?

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Many of the mid 70's shows in CIS have been mentioned. Two that were not that were a bit unusual for Major Attractions were Benny Goodman and a Rufus with Chaka Khan and Parliament-Funkadelic show co-produced with NCCU.

I saw the Beach Boys on October 25, 1981 in Cameron Indoor.

Along the way to finding that date, I discovered that the Duke University Library has placed the archives of Major Attractions online, and you can view a list here of acts that performed (or not) on campus from September 1967 to September 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    I saw the Beach Boys on October 25, 1981 in Cameron Indoor.

Along the way to finding that date, I discovered that the Duke University Library has placed the archives of Major Attractions online, and you can view a list here of acts that performed (or not) on campus from September 1967 to September 1995.
    The Beach Boys appeared during the sixties,too. I remember how everyone was talking about how they sounded better on their records.... live concerts couldn't provide the sort of mixing and recording in layers that was used in the studio. I think I remember that later the group began to lip sinc in order to produce the sound their fans expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    The Beach Boys appeared during the sixties,too. I remember how everyone was talking about how they sounded better on their records.... live concerts couldn't provide the sort of mixing and recording in layers that was used in the studio. I think I remember that later the group began to lip sinc in order to produce the sound their fans expected.
    There are not many groups that would sound as different live, from how they sound on recordings, than the Beach Boys. Particularly if that was around or just after the time Pet Sounds was relaeased (1966). I think that is a testament to Brian Wilson's genius in the studio, that the sound of those works couldn't be recreated outside the studio.