Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

WBB Duke vs. Florida State

The women play at FSU at 7:00 tonight, video on ACC Select, audio on Inside Access. This is going to be a great bellweather to see where the ladies are at. FSU is ranked 18th in the country, and is tied with Duke at 5-0 in the conference. I'm sure we will see the Devil's play great D as always, I just hope the offense is there. We can't afford to keep missing so many close shots and expect to keep winning. The same goes for turnovers, we have got to protect the ball better. Looking forward to a great game, I'm probably going to purchase the ACC select viewing because I can't stand to listen to the online broadcast. I really hope they provide the women with some respectable broadcast equipment in the near future, what they produce now is shameful.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    37-34 Duke lead at half. Uncharacteristically weak defense has offered up several scoring opportunities for the Seminoles. Duke's offense had a great first 10 minutes, then we reverted to our old ways. Our shots have been falling, which is great, but we have turned the ball over so much we are denying ourselves the chance to score. FSU's defense is to blame for some, but not all of the missed chances. Jasmine Thomas is having a great game, and while Abby only has 5 points, she is all over the place and playing well. Chante Black sat early again with 2 fouls.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Tie game. 9 seconds left. FSU ball.

WHEW!!!! Going to overtime, best defense by Duke played with 6 seconds left.

Overtime?

Looks that way on GameTracker...Duke lost a lead in the last minute; up by as much as 5 points; Fl State hit a key 3 and Duke missed the front end of 1-and-1 free throw.

Looks like good shooting overall.

Duke loses
    terrible preformence for the last 7 minutes

Whoa! I wasn't watching; that took me by surprise. Can anyone fill me in on what overtime looked like, and how we let Florida State back in this thing?

Seems kind of strange to see Florida State--not Duke, UNC, or Maryland--at the top of the ACC standings.

Defense was the culprit this game. Very sporadic, and non-existant in overtime. I think offensively, we actually had our best outing, go figure.
    Florida state deserves respect, they sit alone at the top of the ACC, and played a tough, physical game. Freshour was impressive. Too bad we don't play the Noles again, unless we see them in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    Whoa! I wasn't watching; that took me by surprise. Can anyone fill me in on what overtime looked like, and how we let Florida State back in this thing?

Seems kind of strange to see Florida State--not Duke, UNC, or Maryland--at the top of the ACC standings.
    If the women's ACC tournament started tomorrow, Carolina would be playing on the first day. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    If the women's ACC tournament started tomorrow, Carolina would be playing on the first day. Go figure.
    Sad thought, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    I'm heartbroken.

Turn Overs

This game the Lady Blue Devils could not overcome the turnovers. Total of 21 with 13 coming from Cheek and Black. We finally have a good shooting game and we lose. Ball handling needs to be adderssed in practice. Go Duke!

My daughter & I respectfully ask that the Duke women's basketball team not be referred to as the Lady Blue Devils.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    My daughter & I respectfully ask that the Duke women's basketball team not be referred to as the Lady Blue Devils.
    Does this have anything to do with being politically correct? I've heard them called this name for years. The term refers to a group of women. If I offended you or your daughter, please forgive me. Go Duke(men & women)!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    I don't like it when people call them that either. NCSU is the Wolfpack Women (it's even written on their court that way) and tonight on the UVA - Maryland broadcast the announcers called the UVA team the Cavalier Women, and I've always thought of our team as the Duke Women's basketball team or the Blue Devil women.

Let's leave the "lady" language to the so called "Lady Heels".

jvoo1,
    I respect and appreciate your attachment to all of Duke's teams, and I think there's no reason to attack you for the "lady" usage. jimmymax appears to be feel the same way, which is great. I'll note where I'm coming from and hope I'm not making such an attack.
    I think you'll find that no official Duke references to Lady Blue Devils occur into the nineties, and perhaps not prior. I don't doubt that you've heard the usage from true fans, but my observation has been that Duke fans use the term far less than fans of many, maybe most, other programs. Some might argue that the difference reflects a contrarian impulse to be distinct from proud programs like the Lady Tar Heels and the Lady Volunteers, but I think most Duke fans feel that the term is a bit archaic and recalls a prior era in which women's sports were not valued like they are today. I feel this way myself.
    I read "Lady" as a redundant adjective. Context typically makes clear which Blue Devil team is under discussion, so it's not really needed. Further, the modification of the term Blue Devil with a gender specifier suggests that the norm is the other. If a Duke man is a Blue Devil and a Duke woman is a Lady Blue Devil, doesn't that at least imply that Blue Devils are first and foremost men?
    Many white Southernors--I suspect many white Americans--casually and habitually modify "person" or "guy" or "dude" with the adjective "black" but don't do so when referring to white versions of the same, and this occurs even when race is irrelevant to the topic. There's rarely intentional insult there, but it does reflect a society most of us are happy to have seen changed. I'll call myself out and note that at the beginning of this paragraph I almost left "white" out, because I tend to assume white when I read the word "Southernor," and try though I might I tend to exclusively visualize a man (a gentleman perhaps?) when I read the words "Blue Devil." I'm hoping jimmymax's daughter doesn't, and won't.
    I humbly admire the ways in which many African-Americans are as Southern as can be, and I have a similar admiration for the athletic ability, commitment, and hard work that makes Blue Devils of so many Duke women.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    I don't like it when people call them that either. NCSU is the Wolfpack Women (it's even written on their court that way) and tonight on the UVA - Maryland broadcast the announcers called the UVA team the Cavalier Women, and I've always thought of our team as the Duke Women's basketball team or the Blue Devil women.

Let's leave the "lady" language to the so called "Lady Heels".
    Heh-heh. "So called" ...

I was wondering why this thread got popular, I figured it couldn't have anything to do with the game.

Por favor

Ladies, gentlemen, please!

My all-time favorite in this category is the South Carolina Lady Gamecocks, which to me sounds like a rooster in drag. Nevertheless, that is what they are called south of the border:

http://events.thestate.com/columbia-...cks-basketball

BTW, I had both men and women players in my classes when I was a TA at Duke 20 years ago, and I found them to be perfect ladies and gentlemen. In fact, by coincidence one of those gentlemen is now sitting with the ladies.

Officially -- from the University, all athletic teams are Blue Devils. There was a institutional decision made back in the Eighties, IIRC, and there was some kind of discussion about it beforehand. And "lady" was specifically rejected.

I'm not going to try to find a link, but be assured there is evidence out there.

One of the people in the SID would easily point to it.