everyone needs a support group ... right?

My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    ----------

Raoul Felder, the Manhattan divorce lawyer, said that cases involving financiers always stack up as the economy starts to slip, because layoffs and shrinking bonuses place stress on relationships — and, he said, because “there aren’t funds or time for mistresses any more.”

----------

Tough times.

Frm the article: Dawn Spinner Davis, 26, a beauty writer, said the downward-trending graphs began to make sense when the man she married on Nov. 1, a 28-year-old private wealth manager, stopped playing golf, once his passion. “One of his best friends told me that my job is now to keep him calm and keep him from dying at the age of 35,” Ms. Davis said. “It’s not what I signed up for.”

Whatever happened to the "for better or worse" part of marriage vows? I do hope she was kidding with the last line.

I really hope that the whole blog is a joke, but I have a sinking feeling that it's not. I especially hated the story of the woman who started the blog about how she got mad at her financier boyfriend when he wouldn't support her as her parents divorced, but then got annoyed when he wanted her emotional support when he lost his job. Ladies, if you only "love" your man because of his salary and his social status and the fact that he doesn't rely on you for anything, why don't you just admit that you're prostituting yourselves?

the most pertinent part to me was...

billed as "free from the scrutiny of feminists,” that invites women to join “if your monthly Bergdorf’s allowance has been halved and bottle service has all but disappeared from your life.”
    Does this mean that the uber feminist i am should not be physically ill in response? Because I most definitely am.

If you want someone to 'keep your fine *self* in gucci and gold for the rest of your life,' (apologies to Love and Basketball) why not just do it yourself? And if you don't do it yourself, and are not willing to even try to do it yourself, you officially lose, IMO, any whining rights.

Talk about lack of any self-respect.

That being said, the emotional fallout from losing a job can be devastating, so I heartily empathize with anyone out there (men or women) who are seeking support so that they can better support, as a human being, a spouse or family member who has been affected by the economic downturn.

But not just to whine about loss of their 'allowance'. What are we here? 12?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Frm the article: Dawn Spinner Davis, 26, a beauty writer, said the downward-trending graphs began to make sense when the man she married on Nov. 1, a 28-year-old private wealth manager, stopped playing golf, once his passion. “One of his best friends told me that my job is now to keep him calm and keep him from dying at the age of 35,” Ms. Davis said. “It’s not what I signed up for.”

Whatever happened to the "for better or worse" part of marriage vows? I do hope she was kidding with the last line.
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Does this mean that the uber feminist i am should not be physically ill in response? Because I most definitely am.
    I am anything but a feminist, but even i wanted to hurl when I read this article.

I read somewhere that the true test of a relationship isn't the bad times but the good ones. When my boyfriend was laid off I knew I had to turn on the support and back off any needy feelings I had. He has a job now, and now that we're in good times, things seem to be going well.

I think the 80's generation really messed up these young people. I don't think they know what a relationship/marriage really means. It's not all glamorous what can you do for me. It's about give and take, and knowing when to give and take. Thank God I have had a great example with my parents.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to:

A)Hurl
    B) Track them down and smack them upside the head (with a prada bag loaded with bricks)
    C) Pity the poor shallow creatures

I opted to be grateful that come hell and/or high water my husband has my back and I have his. Those sad little creatures have no clue.