Bob Knight - College Gameday

Bob Knight praises/loves Duke so much that when asked who was going to win today's UCONN @ Notre Dame matchup, he responded, "Duke."

Just Kidding.

Did anyone else watch him this morning? He loooooves DUKE.

...and why should he not? What's not to love?

he said Singler was his favorite player in the country

Bilas also had a lot of props for Duke this morning on the show. Nice to see. He jsut calls it like he sees it and this seasons, sees "it" in Duke.

Almost started this thread this morning, but stopped when I saw the locked Bilas threads.

Knight is a dominant force amongst that peanut gallery for college gameday. It almost makes me wish he had been in broadcasting the whole time. Anyway, a much-needed breath of fresh air, and at least one guy who isn't afraid to say what he really thinks.

Out.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    he said Singler was his favorite player in the country
    That makes two of us!

Defense or lack of

I liked what Coach Knight said to hubert about defense. Must have been talking about unc's lack of defense. Coach also said the people had better start taking Duke serious. They're good this year. Go Duke!

I thought the best part was when asked who would win, the others all said, "blah, blah, Duke, blah, blah." But Knight just said, "Duke."

Digger Had A Chance

Thought it was interesting that Bilas joked about Digger always picking Notre Dame. It's a shame Digger doesn't read these boards. Would have been hilarious if he replied that Jay would probably pick Maryland today!

I was never a big Bobby Knight fan when he was coaching, but... I have to say I LOVE him as a commentator, play-by-play guy (on occasion). I truly love what he has to say and his insights of the game. Kudos to Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    I was never a big Bobby Knight fan when he was coaching, but... I have to say I LOVE him as a commentator, play-by-play guy (on occasion). I truly love what he has to say and his insights of the game. Kudos to Knight.
    I think it is the John Madden syndrome - couldn't stand him as a coach but love him on the air. (Perhaps it was just who he coached that made me dislike him so much.)

Knight/Madden

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I think it is the John Madden syndrome - couldn't stand him as a coach but love him on the air. (Perhaps it was just who he coached that made me dislike him so much.)

Fortunately, I can't see Knight EVER degenerating into somebody as irritating as Madden. Although, I must give Madden credit for bringing "turducken" into popular culture.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    I wasn't a fan of him as a coach and I'm not a fan of hi, as a commentator. I think I might enjoy his insights, but I disliked his coaching enough that it colors my viewing of him in the booth. I'll mute the game if he's on. And (add this to the infinite list of Bob Knight contradictions) it kills me the doesn't wear a suit like everyone else on the panel. Can you imagine Knight's reaction if a hot shot high school player showed up in Bloomington for his freshmen year and informed the coach that he wasn't going to adhere to any dress code that the other players had to.

After the Duke-Maryland game last night, Bob Knight made the point that Duke does not need to get any better this year. That lots of teams need to change certain things and improve on some areas, but that Duke did not need to. He pretty much said that we played a perfect game last night ("I think every coach at any level should get a copy of the Duke-Maryland game")

Isn't Bob Knight essentially saying that Duke has reached its highest potential? Is he not saying that Duke is peaking?

So I guess all we have to do is keep playing at this extremely high level and good things will happen, right?

Bob Knight on Duke's Defense

Nice comments by Knight on the Duke D.

Kudos to Coach Knight for calling out the jackass commentator who was comparing the college basketball season to "the Bataan Death March." I don't remember which commentator said that, but clearly Knight heard it too, since he pointedly made the comment that basketball games are NOT like the Bataan Death March. It doesn't annoy me when people say things like "the game against Carolina's gonna be a war" or "we're in for a real battle against Wake" but when they start saying things like "these basketball players are being put through the Bataan Death March" or "this game's gonna be as tough as the invasion of Normandy" etc., my immediate reaction is "what a maroon."

Not too many minutes camp?

So I guess we can put Knight in the "Singler's not playing too many minutes" camp? I have to agree, if playing 5 more minutes a night over the course of 30 games wears these kids down then we need to work on our conditioning.

I'm not saying they don't wear down mentally from school or physically from repetition or something like that, just that the avg mins per game are much less important that alot of people think. At least that's my opinion and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    Nice comments by Knight on the Duke D.

Kudos to Coach Knight for calling out the jackass commentator who was comparing the college basketball season to "the Bataan Death March." I don't remember which commentator said that, but clearly Knight heard it too, since he pointedly made the comment that basketball games are NOT like the Bataan Death March. It doesn't annoy me when people say things like "the game against Carolina's gonna be a war" or "we're in for a real battle against Wake" but when they start saying things like "these basketball players are being put through the Bataan Death March" or "this game's gonna be as tough as the invasion of Normandy" etc., my immediate reaction is "what a maroon."
    Actually, I heard that remark by Knight quite differently (in his discussion of players playing a lot of minutes)-- Digger Phelps was trying to argue that the Big East teams have too tough of a league, with too many hard conference games, and that it will wear on them at the end of the season (with which Bilas roundly disagreed), when Knight busted out with his "It's not like this is the Bataan Death March" line.

I thought it was hilarious (and probably over most of the panel's head) and tremendously on point-- but what else would you expect from a guy who used to teach/coach at West Point, and has actually read some books and has some other interests, besides coaching basketball... anyway, the more Knight commenting on games, and analyzing from the studio, the better, as far as I am concerned.