Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post-Game Press Conferences After a Loss

What current or past coach do you think was the best at post-game press conferences?

-Scheyer seems to have learned the script for a loss. "Give the winners credit. They beat us fair and square. We will figure out what we need to fix and move forward." He doesn't give too much information or unfiltered opinion, but he avoids any embarrassing comments and doesn't across and irritable or a sore loser.

-I've only watched Hubert's pressers from their last 2 games, but I think he's an embarrassment. Blaming the foul disparity last Saturday was bad. Then, last night, he acted like a moody teenager.

-Coach K stuck to the same script he taught Scheyer most of the time, but sometimes he was irritable and got nitpicky with people's questions, especially student reporters. I really hated when he did that.

-Roy had a tendency to get really down. It was very entertaining, especially during the 2020 season.

-One moment that has always stuck with me was Bo Ryan after the 2015 championship game. He blamed the loss on the refs allowing Okafor to bully people inside. That set the tone for his players at the same press conference. I thought that was a particularly bad look after they had excessively laughed and joked after each win up to that point.

I notice a lot more bad moments than good ones, so maybe the question should have been "What coach is the worst as post-game press conferences?" Maybe it's kind of like being a long snapper. Someone just mentioned in one of the football threads that a long snapper only gets noticed if he screws up. There are no Sportscenter highlights for great snaps.

Jim Boeheim is the worst but it can be entertaining. So maybe from a trainwreck perspective he is the best…

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Jim Boeheim is the worst but it can be entertaining. So maybe from a trainwreck perspective he is the best…
    haha yes that's exactly how I should have phrased the question. Who is the best trainwreck?

I kind of like that he's the last old guy in CBB fighting for how things were. Saban seems to be carrying that torch for football. I have mixed feelings about NIL, but it's good to see a coach with the guts to say hey, wait a minute. Maybe it's not a good thing that boosters are pretty much paying players to transfer to a school.

Juwan Howard is pretty bad at the post-game handshake. His pressers are only marginally better.

Ol' Roy

I don't think any coach will ever top Roy Williams's "I'm not in the dadgum Christmas spirit."

The General...Robert Montgomery Knight was always entertaining. Lol

As far as good ones go, I really like Steve Forbes. I’ve only listened to a few of his after we have beaten them, but he is very honest, even blunt, and says exactly what he thinks.

As far as train wrecks go, I agree wholeheartedly with Boeheim.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    What current or past coach do you think was the best at post-game press conferences?

-Scheyer seems to have learned the script for a loss. "Give the winners credit. They beat us fair and square. We will figure out what we need to fix and move forward." He doesn't give too much information or unfiltered opinion, but he avoids any embarrassing comments and doesn't across and irritable or a sore loser.

-I've only watched Hubert's pressers from their last 2 games, but I think he's an embarrassment. Blaming the foul disparity last Saturday was bad. Then, last night, he acted like a moody teenager.

-Coach K stuck to the same script he taught Scheyer most of the time, but sometimes he was irritable and got nitpicky with people's questions, especially student reporters. I really hated when he did that.

-Roy had a tendency to get really down. It was very entertaining, especially during the 2020 season.

-One moment that has always stuck with me was Bo Ryan after the 2015 championship game. He blamed the loss on the refs allowing Okafor to bully people inside. That set the tone for his players at the same press conference. I thought that was a particularly bad look after they had excessively laughed and joked after each win up to that point.

I notice a lot more bad moments than good ones, so maybe the question should have been "What coach is the worst as post-game press conferences?" Maybe it's kind of like being a long snapper. Someone just mentioned in one of the football threads that a long snapper only gets noticed if he screws up. There are no Sportscenter highlights for great snaps.
    Really? I don't remember this at all. Oak was in foul trouble for much of the game and only scored 10 points. He got to the line once and had a whopping three rebounds. That was partially why we needed Grayson's contributions on offense... b/c big man had a really mediocre game.

Was he saying that Jah bullied people on offense or defense? On offense he didn't score or get fouls called, and on defense he was held to 22 minutes due to foul trouble.

I just remember the "We don't do rent-a-players"
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Really? I don't remember this at all. Oak was in foul trouble for much of the game and only scored 10 points. He got to the line once and had a whopping three rebounds. That was partially why we needed Grayson's contributions on offense... b/c big man had a really mediocre game.

Was he saying that Jah bullied people on offense or defense? On offense he didn't score or get fouls called, and on defense he was held to 22 minutes due to foul trouble.

I just remember the "We don't do rent-a-players"
    I just rewatched the interview and it wasn't nearly as egregious as I remember. Bo Ryan mentions offensive players throwing their bodies into defenders. I do remember them cutting to the College Gameday creew immediately after and Jason Williams calling out Ryan for not being accountable for their loss.

I just rewatched the interview and it wasn't nearly as egregious as I remember. Bo Ryan mentions offensive players throwing their bodies into defenders. I do remember them cutting to the College Gameday creew immediately after and Jason Williams calling out Ryan for not being accountable for their loss.
    Disregard my last post. This is the one I remembered! Screw him. He does the same thing Hubert Davis did where he kind of dances around the issues without coming out and saying it. Go ahead and say "we lost this one because of the refs" if that's how you feel or shut up and give Duke credit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udu6Wbb6qkY

Disregard my last post. This is the one I remembered! Screw him. He does the same thing Hubert Davis did where he kind of dances around the issues without coming out and saying it. Go ahead and say "we lost this one because of the refs" if that's how you feel or shut up and give Duke credit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udu6Wbb6qkY
    Yep...

"You just have to be able to handle all the hands and the checking. There was more body contact in this game than any game we've played all year, and I just feel sorry for my guys that all of a sudden a game was like that. I think they had a…they're struggling with that a little bit...It's just a shame that it had to be played that way."

Still, I'll given Ryan a bit more benefit of the doubt than others given the magnitude of the game -- the national championship and the fact that it was SOOO close. And he'd likely never get another chance. Emotions get you in those moments sometimes. I still love Wisconsin for taking out Kentucky in the semis (where they were the beneficiary of a huge missed shot clock violation call).

One thing that was huge in the national championship game is the foul disparity was one-sided at the end of the first half (in Wiscy's favor, most notable being Jah in foul trouble early). I do think Coach K "worked the refs" (As all good coaches should) to even that out more in the second half. I recall watching it live and feeling that way.

For some reason, I remember a lot of the post-game press conferences in the tournament that year. I don't remember any from any other seasons. When Kentucky lost to Wisconsin, they were particularly upset. When one of the reporters asked them about Frank Kaminski, a Kentucky player muttered "F that N" under his breath.

Another random one I remember was 2011 after we lost to Arizona. They asked Coach K if Kyrie was coming back the following year. K, of course, didn't like that and said something to the effect of "He's crying his eyes out in the locker room. You want me to go ask him now?" I think over time he learned that those questions were going to be asked with those types of players. It got to the point where in the middle of the season Tre Jones' sophomore year, he just sort of blurted out that of course Tre Jones will be leaving after this year, when all of us where in the middle of a debate hoping he'd come back again.

Ryan's blow-up was hard to imagine. It was as though he had lost to a mid-major.

Wisconsin had a great season in 2015 -- winning the Big Ten and beating the undefeated UK Wildcats in the semis.

Consider Duke's resume on the other hand:
    1. First in ACC regular season, losing to ND in the ACC semis.
    2. Overall record of 37-4, ranked one spot below Wiscy in the final AP, due to ND loss.
    3. Winner by 20 over Mich State in Final Four.
    4. Winner over Wisconsin on the road by ten points on Dec 3.

Sure, there was an aura around the Badgers because of the win over UK. But then there was the Dec. home loss to Duke.

It wasn’t in the presser but Bo Ryan did call our guys rentals in a post-game interview outside the locker room. https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...g-championship

I remember Coach K being asked about it, and he calmly called it, “poor choice of words.”

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    It wasn’t in the presser but Bo Ryan did call our guys rentals in a post-game interview outside the locker room. https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...g-championship

I remember Coach K being asked about it, and he calmly called it, “poor choice of words.”
    Coach K:
    Duke doesn’t rent a player. We have one of the great schools in the world, and when we recruit a young man, we recruit a young man because of three things. One, he has the academic potential to do well at Duke, two, he has the talent to do well, and three, he has great character. All the guys on my team fit that description 100%. In today’s world you have to adapt to what’s happening. Throughout college, there are many kids who don’t go even the full four years because of opportunities, business opportunities that are available, and they’re not just athletes. And so if the opportunity arises for a youngster to leave early from school, whether he’s an athlete or she’s an athlete or not, it’s their opportunity to pursue it. So I think we’re living in the dark ages when we say that it should only be done one way.
    If Tyus Jones wanted to go to Wisconsin, it's pretty obvious Bo Ryan would have welcomed him with open arms.

Still, as fans, we can still complain about OAD.

Mike Leach is missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Still, I'll given Ryan a bit more benefit of the doubt than others given the magnitude of the game -- the national championship and the fact that it was SOOO close. And he'd likely never get another chance. Emotions get you in those moments sometimes. I still love Wisconsin for taking out Kentucky in the semis (where they were the beneficiary of a huge missed shot clock violation call).

One thing that was huge in the national championship game is the foul disparity was one-sided at the end of the first half (in Wiscy's favor, most notable being Jah in foul trouble early). I do think Coach K "worked the refs" (As all good coaches should) to even that out more in the second half. I recall watching it live and feeling that way.
    You make a good point about the context. OTOH, after Ryan's words were discussed here, I remember someone saying that he always acted that way.

I've seen Tony Bennett classy in both in victory and defeat. The ultimate challenge was after losing to UMBC. I'm sure it sucked for him, but he nailed the post game presser.

I also recall Mike Jarvis classy as well. But I guess he's out of coaching now.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

My favorite postgame meltdown

RIP Denny Green.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    I've seen Tony Bennett classy in both in victory and defeat. The ultimate challenge was after losing to UMBC. I'm sure it sucked for him, but he nailed the post game presser.

I also recall Mike Jarvis classy as well. But I guess he's out of coaching now.

9F
    Jarvis was also a friend of K’s. His last season at St. John’s, they were in Cameron and we were beating them pretty thoroughly. It was clear that Jarvis was on the hot seat, and the Crazies started chanting something about him getting fired. K jumped up and shut that down emphatically.