Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

WBB: Duke 73, Miami 58

2:07 to go in the half, and it's tied. Duke was up 23-11, and have let Miami get back in it. The defense is not what it has been, but our shooting is getting better. KC just hit a 3, good to see us improving from outside.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Abby only played 8 minutes in the half due to fouls, and it sounds like both our defense and our offense sat down with her. Even if she's not scoring, she is so important to have on the floor.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Uggh, Abby just got her 4th foul, getting a 3 point shooter in the process. Still 14 minutes to go and very close game.

After Abby had to sit, the team poured it on, and with Waner back in now with few minutes left to play, the ladies are heading for a blowout victory. Nice way to regather themselves without a prime player on the court. Every game they play like more of a team than individuals, very nice to see, Maryland is next!

P.S. Abby just fouled out without scoring a single point. Another tip to a great team effort, Waner is a lot of slack to take up, they did it well.

It is my observation that DWB seems to be decreasing in popularity...

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    It is my observation that DWB seems to be decreasing in popularity...
    Which is unfortunate. I really miss the days of being a powerhouse every year, and hope they come back soon. All the real sellouts for games like Tennessee, UNC, Uconn, and more; they were great.

Paid attendance was night was in the 7,300 neighborhood. For a second-division ACC team.

McCallie and her team do lots of public appearances, are accessible to the media, sign autographs after games, et cetera and so forth. I'm not sure when and if the economic doldrums start having an impact but I don't see any evidence of popularity loss. Sure, there are still some Gail-or-bust-diehards out there but I'm pretty sure Gail ain't coming back.

This team has its flaws but they work very hard, seem to like each other, and are beating some pretty good teams. McCallie is remaking the team in her image and I think most Duke fans are giving her the chance to see what happens.

dwb

I go to everygame and have since around 1992,93 but McCallies offensive schemes are horrible. They virtually give away the first five minutes of the first half when it comes to scoring. There are no screens, little movement without the ball and a very predictable pound it inside offense. The defense has looked good against the lesser teams we have played. The rubber will hit the road Monday. I truly hope I am pleasently surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by fadero View Post
    I go to everygame and have since around 1992,93 but McCallies offensive schemes are horrible. They virtually give away the first five minutes of the first half when it comes to scoring. There are no screens, little movement without the ball and a very predictable pound it inside offense. The defense has looked good against the lesser teams we have played. The rubber will hit the road Monday. I truly hope I am pleasently surprised.
    I think to be fair you have to include that our defense has looked good (very good?) against some of the better teams we have played, Stanford for example.

stanford defense

Our free throw defense against Stanford was outstanding.

"Stanford has six players who are at least 6-foot-3 or taller, but Duke outrebounded the Cardinal 40-39 and held them to 38.5 percent shooting, snapping a three-game streak in which they made at least half their shots."

That says nothing of the turnovers forced.

Defense was ok against Stanford, we were fortunate they missed alot of open threes. Stanford was 12-27 from the foul line. They shoot well from the foul line and we have no signature win this year. Our offense, was once again, very stagnant in the Stanford game. One thing about our defense is we do leave alot of open three point shooters. The Md. game will be telling because the press will probably not be effective against them. We will probably see alot of Zone, so our offense will have to rise to the occasion. We can't turn the ball over like we have all year and expect to win.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Sure, there are still some Gail-or-bust-diehards out there but I'm pretty sure Gail ain't coming back.
    If you think interest has fallen off for some fans simply because Gail is gone, you are wrong. How Gail was treated by the Athletic Department and administration certainly did not help. There were misgivings, however, about McCallie from the beginning by some very knowledgeable women's basketball fans. Also, McCallie's rocky transition with her players was another factor. I am confident that a different hire (Joanne Boyle for example) would have received much broader support.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that interest has fallen off for some fans because Gail is gone. I know the principals and know the politics pretty well. I like Gail personally and professionally and wish she were still here.

FWIW, I remember folks back in 1980 who swore they would never go to another Duke basketball games after the way Tom Butters treated Bill Foster.

But attendance figures don't suggest a significant fall-off in interest among the general fan base.

Goestenkors isn't at Duke, Alleva isn't at Duke, Boyle isn't at Duke. And most Duke fans are willing to give the new coach a chance to establish her program.

The team seems to have made a successful commitment to defense this season. They shut down Oklahoma State in the second half, and played Stanford tough. They have shown courage in various comebacks--not only the phenomenal one against USC. The offense remains a work in progress. Last night they stopped going to Chante (and she stopped posting up) and they stopped scoring the first half. Fortunately Karima stepped up.

They seem to be having more fun on the court this year. Monday will be a big test. I don't think the crowds are noticeably different than when Gail was here. Everyone remembers sell outs with Tennessee and UNC--but those were the ONLY sell outs. It's very hard for a women's team with a NC banner to compete in the same venue with the men and their history and tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by fadero View Post
    Defense was ok against Stanford, we were fortunate they missed alot of open threes. Stanford was 12-27 from the foul line. They shoot well from the foul line and we have no signature win this year. Our offense, was once again, very stagnant in the Stanford game. One thing about our defense is we do leave alot of open three point shooters. The Md. game will be telling because the press will probably not be effective against them. We will probably see alot of Zone, so our offense will have to rise to the occasion. We can't turn the ball over like we have all year and expect to win.
    You are giving our team no credit at all. Sure, Stanford missed shots, but we did what we had to do to win the game. Also, give the coaching staff some credit. If we need to change our defensive schemes for a different team, I'm sure they've seen enough tape to do so. It's not as though there is only one press this team runs.
    Last edited by Ders24; 01-10-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typo

Miami and Duke

I thought that former Dukie Katie Meyer would have a bigger impact at UM, but progress has been somewhat slow in Coral Gables.

You can't argue with Duke's record so far, but we need to see how well this brand of grind-it-out basketball will do against the better, more athletic teams. We'll find out in the coming weeks in games against teams like Maryland, UNC, and Tennessee, all of which will be on ESPN2.

In general you resort to the lunch-bucket style when you don't have the best players, which obviously hasn't been the case at Duke, but there's no doubt that things seem to be moving in the right direction (at least on defense). There's also the question of whether top recruits will be interested in this style of play, so all of this is going to take a while to play out.

In the end, we all know that Coach P was given a marquee team, so she will be judged by that standard.

Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    Which is unfortunate. I really miss the days of being a powerhouse every year, and hope they come back soon. All the real sellouts for games like Tennessee, UNC, Uconn, and more; they were great.
    You mean you miss the year before last? That seems incredibly short-sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    You mean you miss the year before last? That seems incredibly short-sighted.
    No kidding. Last year was a let down, but not surprising given the situation. I'm on board with this team, and this coach (after Stanford, that game cinched it) and expect them to keep up our high level of play every year just like Gail and her squads did. Coach P has led a team to the final game also. We are currently ranked 5th, and continue to hold our own in the upper eschelon of women's basketball. If you asked most fans if Duke was a powerhouse, they would say yes, unless they only reserve that title for UCONN.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that interest has fallen off for some fans because Gail is gone. I know the principals and know the politics pretty well. I like Gail personally and professionally and wish she were still here.

FWIW, I remember folks back in 1980 who swore they would never go to another Duke basketball games after the way Tom Butters treated Bill Foster.

But attendance figures don't suggest a significant fall-off in interest among the general fan base.

Goestenkors isn't at Duke, Alleva isn't at Duke, Boyle isn't at Duke. And most Duke fans are willing to give the new coach a chance to establish her program.
    I am sure you are correct about some fans lossing interest in the team because Gail left. However, that is not the only reason as you seem to suggest in your gratuitous remark about "Gail-or-bust-diehards" and the sarcastic "Gail ain't coming back." You even continue with that theme at the end of your response as if all dissatisfaction is due to what happened in the past.
    I don't know any "Gail-or-bust-diehard" fans, but I do know some diehard and knowledgeable Duke basketball fans that have had their enthusiasm dampened for all the reasons I mentioned. Nonetheless, they still support the players, keep up with the team, and want Duke to win. Since you know the principals and the politics of the situation pretty well, you can easily guess what issues I'm talking about in terms of Gail's treatment, the initial misgivings about McCallie, and the turmoil of last year.
    Finally, McCallie is getting her chance. No one I know is publicly or privately calling for her to be fired.