Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chronicle Letter To Editor - D.U.M.B. Free Throw Distraction

On a somewhat related note, there was a letter to the editor published in the chronicle today from a fan who claimed to be "neutral" and visiting CIS for the first time. He was upset by the bands "pull your shirt over your head and jump around" free throw distraction while Andrew Lovedale was shooting late in the game, as he interpreted it as a racial remark. I know this one has been used for a long time and can honestly say that such an interpretation never occurred to me, but also realize that I may not be as sensitive to this as others. Is there any validity to this interpretation, and regardless, should the distraction be dropped?

Quote Originally Posted by MADevil30 View Post
    On a somewhat related note, there was a letter to the editor published in the chronicle today from a fan who claimed to be "neutral" and visiting CIS for the first time. He was upset by the bands "pull your shirt over your head and jump around" free throw distraction while Andrew Lovedale was shooting late in the game, as he interpreted it as a racial remark. I know this one has been used for a long time and can honestly say that such an interpretation never occurred to me, but also realize that I may not be as sensitive to this as others. Is there any validity to this interpretation, and regardless, should the distraction be dropped?
    I've never seen this action in the way that the letter-writer did...the band has done it more or less every game for the last 2 or 3 years.

The grad section does a motion (the OH OH OH OH OH noise with the suggestive pulling off the arms down) that Coach K doesn't like. So the band (an official part of the university, unlike the grads) does the ape like thing instead.

The only reason the letter was probably written (and the action misunderstood) is that lovedale is like one of two black (he's not american, so he's not african-american) players on Davidson and the only one who has serious time, so its much more noticable.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Duke University Marching Band

I was reading the chronicle and saw this absolutely ludicrous letter to the editor about the Duke University Marching Band:

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/m...-3582653.shtml

What is wrong with people?

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    The only reason the letter was probably written (and the action misunderstood) is that lovedale is like one of two black (he's not american, so he's not african-american) players on Davidson and the only one who has serious time, so its much more noticable.
    Actually, he is one of five - and an African-American named Steph Curry actually gets a few minutes of serious playing time in most games as well.

Our House is badass and should be used as much as possible. Personally, I've always thought it would be cool at tip-off.

Second, that letter (I read it too) is idiotic at best. Similarly, my neighborhood has a message board and there is an african-american family that lives down the street who had a cracked windshield a while ago. Someone went on our message board demanding to know who did it, and wanted it reported as a hate crime because it was an obvious retaliation to Obama winning the election. A few posts later, the owner of the car confirmed that an object fell out of a truck and bounced up and hit their car on the highway.

It's a non-issue. I don't mean to be insensitive in any way, but a letter like that is a perfect example of "seeing what you want to see." That distraction has been done for years and for hundreds of players in CIS and its origins ( I believe) have no racial roots.

If that is offensive then the Crazies' cheer after an opposing team turnover that exaggerates poor coordination is extremely offensive to mentally disabled... catch my drift?

There is certainly such a thing as TOO SENSITIVE to the actions around you and their implications... sometimes to the point that the voices of those who are actually slighted by cultural or racial insensitivities are drowned out by those who take offense to every little thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MADevil30 View Post
    this cheer/distraction goes basK at least 10 years and is The Great Cornholio from Beavis and Butthead. Not racist , its a dumb lad on a sugar rush from 1992. Calling this racist is odd, and shows some issues for the claimant.

The letter I can forgive out of ignorance somewhat. I have no idea why the paper chose to publish it though. Are they all freshmen working the last page of the paper? The comments section below does a good job of dismissing the letter's argument.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    The letter I can forgive out of ignorance somewhat. I have no idea why the paper chose to publish it though. Are they all freshmen working the last page of the paper? The comments section below does a good job of dismissing the letter's argument.
    The letter I can understand, though it is quite a reach. The writer just appears to be hypersensitive to the possibility of racism.

The fact that the Chronicle printed the letter isn't surprising at all. Print media these days is taking a beating due to the internet and ease of communication of the news. Thus there's a push for printing interesting and/or controversial pieces to encourage readership, even if the piece borders on ridiculous. The Chronicle students are just getting prepared for their future careers!

Quote Originally Posted by davidson View Post
    Actually, he is one of five - and an African-American named Steph Curry actually gets a few minutes of serious playing time in most games as well.
    My apology, but in a non-racist sense, Lovedale is the one player who looks the darkest on Davidson. The thought had by the letter writer is while incorrect, not a very surprising thought.

Personally though, if i was the chronicle, I would've forwarded the letter to the DUMB leader and had that person respond. Publishing a letter known to be inaccurate seems a bit silly.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

As a band member from 95-99 I can unequiocally state that the origin of such actions stem from The Great Cornolio as Exiled_Devil stated. I've been playing in the alumni pep band over the winter games for the last 5-6 years and have been quite disappointed that today's band members have no idea who Beavis and Butthead are or the meaning of the shirts over the head thing.

Back in my day.... someone would yell out "Cornholio! Cornholio!" and everyone would yank their shirt up over their head and act like an idiot on too much caffeine. Nowadays someone in the band yells out "Shirts! Shirts!" for the same action. So disappointing. How can you not know The Great Cornholio?!? (possibly not suitable for work, depending on where you work)

"Are you threatening me?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    I've never seen this action in the way that the letter-writer did...the band has done it more or less every game for the last 2 or 3 years.

The grad section does a motion (the OH OH OH OH OH noise with the suggestive pulling off the arms down) that Coach K doesn't like. So the band (an official part of the university, unlike the grads) does the ape like thing instead.

I didn't know K was opposed to the uh, uh, uh chant. That one cracks me up -- it looks so hilariously stupid when done correctly. Oh well. As for the shirt over head jumping around bit, I can't believe someone would turn that into a racial thing (and I'm black). It would be nice if the author of the letter could get a response clarifying its origin. While it's ridiculous that you'd have to explain something like that, it's better than someone spouting off to the world about the racist Cameron Crazies.

Most who read these boards probably know this but as a former DUMB member I think it is important it be clearly stated in this thread, as it is in the comments following the article.

The gesture described in the letter (pulling the pep band jerseys over heads and jumping up and down whooping) has been done by the pep band for many years. It is one of several generic things the band does when a shooter is at the line, such as waving arms back and forth chanting "tic-toc" as a player prepares to shoot. It has nothing to do with the race of the player involved.

Let me also add I appreciate the Chronicle publishing this letter, I just hope they will publish an explanation like this one in response. In my opinion knowledge is the best cure for racism and stereotyping, and a letter like this creates an opportunity for a misinterpretation to be clarified and explained.

The antics in question actually have a very specific origin. For more, see my post in the other thread.

Cornholio, brought to the scene by Beavis and Butthead in the mid-90's, modified the pre-existing Troll Dance, which emerged from BOG in the late 80's (see the Chronicle, 2/21/89). That dance, outside Cameron, was performed to "Land of a Thousand Dances," re-popularized by the WWF in the era. Later, The Doors' "Peace Frog" was the tune of choice for party enactments. The Troll Dance survived BOG in and out of Cameron, kept alive by the DURFC in its lean years. Initially, the Cornholio homage rather strictly mimicked the TV version, but over time it melded with the Troll Dance and became more free-form.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    As a band member from 95-99 I can unequiocally state that the origin of such actions stem from The Great Cornolio as Exiled_Devil stated. I've been playing in the alumni pep band over the winter games for the last 5-6 years and have been quite disappointed that today's band members have no idea who Beavis and Butthead are or the meaning of the shirts over the head thing.

Back in my day.... someone would yell out "Cornholio! Cornholio!" and everyone would yank their shirt up over their head and act like an idiot on too much caffeine. Nowadays someone in the band yells out "Shirts! Shirts!" for the same action. So disappointing. How can you not know The Great Cornholio?!? (possibly not suitable for work, depending on where you work)

"Are you threatening me?!?"
    I never heard of Cornholio. It is a generational thing. Do you remember Princess Summerfallwinterspring? Why would kids today know of a TV character from 15+ years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I never heard of Cornholio. It is a generational thing. Do you remember Princess Summerfallwinterspring? Why would kids today know of a TV character from 15+ years ago?
    15+ years ago? Nice try, but I'm 20 and I'm quite familiar with Beavis, Butthead, and of course, Cornholio. I'm pretty sure every single one of my friends knows who they are too. Kids in high school now might be just young enough to have missed B&B, but if you're in college now and have never heard of them...

Princess Summerfallwinterspring... now that's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by orrnot View Post
    Cornholio, brought to the scene by Beavis and Butthead in the mid-90's, modified the pre-existing Troll Dance, which emerged from BOG in the late 80's (see the Chronicle, 2/21/89). That dance, outside Cameron, was performed to "Land of a Thousand Dances," re-popularized by the WWF in the era. Later, The Doors' "Peace Frog" was the tune of choice for party enactments. The Troll Dance survived BOG in and out of Cameron, kept alive by the DURFC in its lean years. Initially, the Cornholio homage rather strictly mimicked the TV version, but over time it melded with the Troll Dance and became more free-form.
    Sorry, maybe this is another generational thing, but what is a troll dance? And what's BOG?

I am a 21-year-old female, and I know the Cornholio reference, and while I know some of my peers would get this reference, a lot of them wouldn't. Heck, I've never actually watched Beavis and Butthead myself, I just have a dad who can sometimes be immature. But actually, in defense of the current band members, I would have never realized that the free-throw dance originated from the Cornholio routine; as this commenter points out, they're not that similar. Cornholio doesn't dance around and hoot like a monkey.

And yeah, the letter to the Chronicle was stupid and wrong, and I hope someone from the band writes in and corrects it. But in defense of the letter-writer, Lovedale is originally from Nigeria, which in my opinion makes it a little easier to see how someone could jump to that conclusion (that monkey imitations were meant in a racial way) than if Lovedale were an African-American born and raised here. But still, I would have never made that assumption, and I really hate the way that the lacrosse incident has colored people's views of us. But that's another topic.

A response from the band is in the works.