Next Three games

Duke has a very telling stretch of games ahead. Both the Florida State and Georgia Tech games are away in pretty hostile places to play. Florida State is 11-2 with a loss to number 1 Pitt that was pretty close and Duke has struggled down there at times. Ga Tech is very athletic and can be dangerous when on a roll. Then Duke comes back home and has to play Georgetown. That is rough. I am tired just thinking about it- just imagine how the players will feel after playing it. That stretch is supposed to get them ready for the end of the season where they get to play 5 of their last 7 games away from home with one of the home games against Wake. Who made up this schedule!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Duke has a very telling stretch of games ahead. Both the Florida State and Georgia Tech games are away in pretty hostile places to play. Florida State is 11-2 with a loss to number 1 Pitt that was pretty close and Duke has struggled down there at times. Ga Tech is very athletic and can be dangerous when on a roll. Then Duke comes back home and has to play Georgetown. That is rough. I am tired just thinking about it- just imagine how the players will feel after playing it. That stretch is supposed to get them ready for the end of the season where they get to play 5 of their last 7 games away from home with one of the home games against Wake. Who made up this schedule!
    They will feel elated. That is what three wins will do for you!

I understand the local media made up Duke's schedule this year, just to get under K's skin.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

you can't compete for greatness without playing through great teams. back in the early 70's, the gamecocks of South carolina were in the ACC. When they pulled out of the conference, the calibre of opponents dropped, as did their ability to compete on that level..

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    you can't compete for greatness without playing through great teams. back in the early 70's, the gamecocks of South carolina were in the ACC. When they pulled out of the conference, the calibre of opponents dropped, as did their ability to compete on that level..
    I agree esp. when there is equity in the schedule. I think all teams in the ACC should play the other twice (home and away).

This will definitely be a tough stretch. The FSU game worries me a lot more than Georgia Tech. Not only is FSU a much better team, but we consistently seem to have trouble down there. A couple of excellent Duke teams have lost there this decade, including the 01-02 (the following year's team lost there as well) and 05-06 teams. Very few of our wins down there have been easy. FSU beat us at home two seasons ago as part of the first of two terrible 4-game losing streaks. They play us really tough, to say the least.

Ken Pomeroy predictor does not seem as concerned until the Wake game.

Sat Jan 10 Duke vs. (76) Florida St. (sr) Away W, 72-59[73] (91%)
    Wed Jan 14 Duke vs. (99) Georgia Tech (sr) Away W, 82-65[77] (94%)
    Sat Jan 17 Duke vs. (5) Georgetown (sr) Home W, 70-64[68] (76%)
    Tue Jan 20 Duke vs. (81) North Carolina St. (sr) Home W, 79-58[68] (97%)
    Sat Jan 24 Duke vs. (50) Maryland (sr) Home W, 79-61[75] (95%)
    Wed Jan 28 Duke vs. (10) Wake Forest (sr) Away
    W, 75-73[80] (59%)

http://kenpom.com/sked.php?team=Duke&t=p

His current ACC standings predictions are

14-02 Duke (1) not only in ACC but #1 overall NCAA Div-I

12-04 UNC (6)
    12-04 Clemson (15) favorable ACC nbalanced schedule

11-05 Wake (10)

09-07 Miami (31)

07-09 MD (50)
    07-09 BC (66)

05-11 FSU (76)
    05-11 NC St (81)
    05-11 VA Tech (87)
    05-11 UVA (90)

04-12 GA Tech (99)

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Ken Pomeroy

His current ACC standings predictions are

14-02 Duke (1) not only in ACC but #1 overall NCAA Div-I
    Wow! Just Wow! We're lookin' good in the neighborhood! (OK, I ate lunch today at an Applebee's). I am still impressed. Now, can we live up to this? I would say that if we can get 20 points each from our big three, we will be all set. Singler and Scheyer can probably do it, night in and night out. Hendo needs to come up with a few more shots, but the season is new.
    This gives me a new optimism. Others (Ken Pom) are seeing what I have seen. Great!

Duke D

If we play defense like we are suppose to, we will win all 3 games. But sometimes we seem to lack the communication Coach K preaches and we struggle. So let's hope we play D like we are capable of. Go Duke!

My wish for the coming 3 games

If we finish the Georgetown game with Zoubek able to contribute at the level he has lately, while adding close to 5 minutes to his typics 17 minutes/game playing time, I would be extremely happy.

While I'm making a belated Santa's list, let me wish for fewer Kyle Singler shots for 3 in the first 3 minutes of each game, to be replaced by 3 extra Nolan penetrations.

Ok, I'll admit I'd like to go 3-0 too.

Quote Originally Posted by trinity92 View Post
    If we finish the Georgetown game with Zoubek able to contribute at the level he has lately, while adding close to 5 minutes to his typics 17 minutes/game playing time, I would be extremely happy.

While I'm making a belated Santa's list, let me wish for fewer Kyle Singler shots for 3 in the first 3 minutes of each game, to be replaced by 3 extra Nolan penetrations.

Ok, I'll admit I'd like to go 3-0 too.
    I completely agree with all of your wishes... Zoubek gets exactly 17 minutes almost every single game. I guess the staff methodically plans his minutes. While 5 more minutes would be nice, I think 3 more for 20 per game would be reasonable, and would probably allow Zoubs a chance to maintain his current efficiency.

I would definitely like to see Singler shoot less 3's in general and drive to the rim and post up more, and been advocating that for a while. More driving from Nolan would also be great for this team. I could be wrong, but I noticed against Davidson that we're not doing a great job of setting screens for Nolan. I could be mistaken, however, and perhaps he's just not taking advantage of them, nor looking to drive. I know he is capable of it. He's had some great moves to the rim, including a circus shot against Purdue and a great spin move against (I believe) Michigan or Southern Illinois.

11. Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I agree Florida State is going to be tough, but there's no excuse when it comes to Georgia Tech. The Jackets aren't a good team this year and Duke should be able to coast and conserve some mental/physical energy for the big Georgetown game.

Georgia Tech should be a bit of a breather in the middle. I don't really consider the Thrilla'Dome a tough place to play when compared to alot of other ACC Venues. There's like 20 students behind each baseline, and Buzz is running around, and then the crowd continues a full bowl level up.

I am much more concerned about Florida State.

Ya, Florida State is a pretty good team this year. The kind of team that could use a win over Duke to cement their tournament case.

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    I agree Florida State is going to be tough, but there's no excuse when it comes to Georgia Tech. The Jackets aren't a good team this year and Duke should be able to coast and conserve some mental/physical energy for the big Georgetown game.
    Let's be careful there with the coasting and saving mental/physical energy. Look how well it worked in the ACC's Alaska division on Sunday.

Everyone gets up for us. We can't afford to coast.

-jk

I see the Devils sweeping the three games. Neither FSU nor Tech match up well with Duke. Both play a big front line and their backcourt play has been spotty. Both teams turn the ball over and rely on freshmen. The Noles are the better of the two teams and both games are on the road but I see the Devils defense being the key to winning both games. Georgetown is a good, well coached team. Playing the game at CIS is the key and I expect the Devils to pull out a close game.

gw67

16. Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Let's be careful there with the coasting and saving mental/physical energy. Look how well it worked in the ACC's Alaska division on Sunday.

Everyone gets up for us. We can't afford to coast.

-jk
    Great point! We can't play expecting to win or it'll bite us in the butt.

But what I really meant was that I expect Duke to play hard, race to a big lead by the first half or early in the second half and then "coast" the rest of the game; perhaps even with starters playing fewer minutes.

Two games to go in this three game stretch. Georgia Tech lost to Maryland today while Georgetown rallied from behind and defeated Providence. I don't expect us to have any trouble with Georgia Tech but the Hated Hoyas (at least I hate'em) will be a test. Here's a short snippet from the recap of their game today:

Monroe, Clark and Sims are all freshmen, and all were on the court throughout a 21-2 run in the second half that helped No. 9 Georgetown rally to beat Providence 82-75 Saturday, ending the Hoyas' two-game Big East losing streak.

''I hope we grew up,'' Georgetown coach John Thompson III said.
    Monroe had eight assists in the game. I watched the Georgetown/UConn game and Monroe is very talented in the high post. We are going to have to pressure their guards and deny the passing lanes to keep the ball out of Georgetown's big men's hands.
    Bob Green