Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs FSU Pre-Game and in-game thread

Less than 24 hours to this contest, and there's not been a lot of talk directly about this game. It's the first conference road game, and against an opponent that has played very well in recent years vs Duke, particularly in games in Tallahassee.

Can our defense control the 'Noles? Will Zoubs continue his good play? How deep will our rotation be?

Reasonably close game for a while IMO, but Duke prevails by perhaps 10-12 points.

We are older and more disciplined this year. They also do not have their typical long athletic wing to abuse us offensively. Still, we always seem to have trouble down there... maybe it's just recently

The Noles have a big front line. I’ve seen parts of two of their games and they appear to rotate Reid (6-8), Echefu (6-9), Alabi (7-1), Singleton (6-9) and Demercy (6-7). In fact, in one game they moved Demercy to the backcourt. Singleton is a freshmen and, like Singler, he plays both inside and outside effectively. While their size would appear to be a problem for the Devils, I suspect that they will have a difficult time guarding Henderson and Singler and the Devils should be quicker to the ball on rebounds.

Their best player, Douglas, is in the backcourt. He thinks shot first. Early in the season, freshmen Loucks played alongside but recently, JC transfer, Kitchen, is playing major minutes. In either case, ballhandling and passing have been problems for the Noles. Against the Devils, I expect these weaknesses to be highlighted.

The home crowd may keep the Noles in the game but I see the Devils having the advantage at both ends of the court and I expect Duke to pull away in the second half.

gw67

it will be interesting to see how Zoubek fares against someone his size in Alabi

JJ Redick for a (then) career high. I liked the final score of that game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzJpM9VdP5M

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    The home crowd may keep the Noles in the game but I see the Devils having the advantage at both ends of the court
    Don't forget FSU has the worst coach in the ACC as well...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    JJ Redick for a (then) career high. I liked the final score of that game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzJpM9VdP5M
    Man that was fun to watch. What a special player he was - for me, possibly the most entertaining of all the Dukies.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

I see this game as a litmus test for how improved we really are inside. Zoubek needs to hold his own against FSU's big men. If Zoubek can be a 7 points/7 rebounds per game player during ACC games, we are in solid shape. IMO, Zoubek will continue to improve as the season marches on. Tomorrow will provide the first indicator of where he is really at. Lets go Zoubek - take it to the 'Noles.
    Bob Green

No Jinx

Seems like very game against anything of a quality opponent -- Purdue, Xavier, Va Tech, Davidson, etc. -- we hear the "ooohh, this is gonna be a real test!"

To heck with that. I say we win by 20.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I see this game as a litmus test for how improved we really are inside. Zoubek needs to hold his own against FSU's big men. If Zoubek can be a 7 points/7 rebounds per game player during ACC games, we are in solid shape. IMO, Zoubek will continue to improve as the season marches on. Tomorrow will provide the first indicator of where he is really at. Lets go Zoubek - take it to the 'Noles.
    I foresee a break out game for Greg myself, but I agree with you about needing to see how Zoubs is coming along.

I'm not going to be quite as confident heading into this one as Virginian. We lost at Florida State as the nation's number one team in both 2002 and 2006, and as the nation's number five team in 2003. Considering we did not play at FSU in 2007, we have lost three of our last six in Tallahassee, all three, as mentioned above, as top five teams. We enter as the country's second rated team today.

Last year's 13 point win at FSU was clearly an outlier type game, as usually our trips down to northern Florida are five point games or less. It's been a pretty consistent number.

There may not be an Al Thornton playing today, but I would bet anything the Noles come out on fire.

It's also important to note that Fla. St. has given Pitt their toughest game all season. They were tied with ~1 minute to go

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace
    They were tied with ~1 minute to go
    I did not know that, and kind of wish I didn't now.

Call me a cynic, but I am envisioning a horror show.

I just don't understand the constant disrespect a number of board members show our opposition game after game.

These are the very same individuals who get so bent out of shape everytime the media talks about the Tar Hoes being so great. They'll always make a post which reads along the lines of, "Maybe we should just call off the season now and hand UNC the trophy." Yet, these same fans take that very same approach by dissing our opposition and predicting wins and by large scores. I guess FSU shouldn't even bother to take the court today.

I'm sure their fans watched the, "Our House" chant the other night and will be more than ready to give us a dose of our own medicine.

The Noles always play us tough and this game won't be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I just don't understand the constant disrespect a number of board members show our opposition game after game.

These are the very same individuals who get so bent out of shape everytime the media talks about the Tar Hoes being so great. They'll always make a post which reads along the lines of, "Maybe we should just call off the season now and hand UNC the trophy." Yet, these same fans take that very same approach by dissing our opposition and predicting wins and by large scores. I guess FSU shouldn't even bother to take the court today.

I'm sure their fans watched the, "Our House" chant the other night and will be more than ready to give us a dose of our own medicine.

The Noles always play us tough and this game won't be any different.
    Excellent post. The sun don't shine on the same dog's butt every day.

Gotta force others to score for FSU. One guy in double figures is Douglas, he is a vet and a team leader. Duke needs to take the crowd out early. Not many good memories on our trips to Trailorhasse so a fast start is vital.

Thanks for the YouTube, BlueintheFace. Gosh, I miss J.J. Wish we could "borrow" him for today's game!

In reading the paper today I noticed that FSU currently has the best scoring defense in the ACC (closely followed by none other than our own Blue Devils). I think we are going to see a low-scoring, tough game with their big men giving us a taste of what we will see come later in the year.

I think we can pull off the win, but it won't be by 20.

Exclamation Duke is 11-5 vs. FSU in Tallahassee... 26-6 overall...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Excellent post. The sun don't shine on the same dog's butt every day.
    but FSU plays its best game of the year against us.
    It is very loud in the civic center.
    I have seen every Duke-FSU game since 1992 in Tallahassee and ,since the locals have long memories after an FSU win, it is a must win in the regular season ( after UNC) for local Dukies.
    I also hear a ton of trash talk from my Ph.D. and MBA students.
    The local AAAC chairwoman, a partner in a top law firm, regularly gets her office toilet-papered after an FSU win...and not one comment after a Duke
    victory.
    We are very,very happy with a win,believe me!

So, basketball gods, if it is your will, give us victory!

Best regards and go,Duke.Blueprofessor
    Last edited by blueprofessor; 01-10-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: game

20. Wouldnt it be awesome if Zoubek ended up being the Man of the Match?