Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What made you a Duke fan?

I figure that this has been discussed many, many times, however I do not recall seeing this thread in the short time I have been a member. This is mainly for stories as to what moment or game or anything that made you want to become a Duke fan. For me, being only 18, I haven't been a Duke fan for very long. However, what I first remember about Duke is the 2001 Championship game, which I vaguely remember. From then on, I watched Duke occasionally, but after the 2004 UCONN Final Four game, I was finally hooked. I have been an avid fan from then on, and facing a tough upcoming decision as I will likely be going to IU for college, but know that I can not give up my unwavering support of Duke. Enough about me though. Let's hear some of your guys stories

I'm not much older but, when I was very young, I saw the shot...As I grew older, it was all I followed. I fell in love with the 99 team, and have lived and died with the boys from Durham really my whole life. I attended my first Duke game in 06 when Duke visited Temple, and was able to witness JJ set the ACC scoring mark. I will never forget that. After seeing Duke play in E. Rutherford, 3 times in the Garden, and Philly again since, I will finally be making my trip to Cameron Wednesday, as mentioned earlier.

It really is a way of life that alot of people can't understand who support other programs or follow programs to a lesser extent. Its something I'm proud of everyday. Supporting such a first class program, with the character and integrity that goes with it, coupled with the success Duke has is something I deeply admire.

2nd grade, I came home from eating out, and arrived in time to see the Miracle Minute against Maryland. Kept following the team, they won the championship, and after the Indiania loss the next year, I was extremely disappointed, which meant that I cared, and was a fan. I started learning more about Duke than just the basketball team, which sealed my fanhood.

The abilities of individual players -- specifically Laettner, Hurley, Grant Hill, and Battier. Of those, we enjoyed Hurley the most. But the deal was brought home by Jason Williams. From that era on, we haven't missed a game -- TV, internet, or by hook or crook. Sorry that we missed the Dawkins era, but I guess that I was out grubbing for money at that time. Interesting to consider that in the future we will talk about Singler, Scheyer and Henderson in the same way we talk about those earlier guys.
    Last year I had a call about renting a property we have for four months during the season. I said "call back later, I am watching a Duke BB game." The people were incensed that I would care more for a BB game than renting to them. As I told them later, it wasn't a BB game, it was a Duke BB game -- their deal was just money, but this was Duke BB.

I became a Duke fan because I went there and succumbed to peer pressure
    2nd grade, I came home from eating out, and arrived in time to see the Miracle Minute against Maryland
    Ok, I am officially old.

You guys think you're old?...

When I was growing up my Dad's best friend had a nephew that played for Duke (Denny Ferguson who was captain of the 1965 team, and passed away a few years ago). I started following Duke Basketball and that was one reason why I applied to Duke.

40+ wonderful years of following the Devils!

Lots of Reasons

When I was a kid, we lived at West Point when coach K was the coach.
    My father earned his doctorate from Duke...
    I watched Johnny D and Tommy Amaker all through the mid-80's - the ACC had so many great players.. I think it was the golden age of ACC basketball for me.
    My brother went to High School with Jeff Lebo before he went to UNC, so he cheered for the 'holes and I kept waving the Duke banner.
    My best friend from High School went to Duke 90-94. I had some of my greatest times in college visiting the Theta Chi house those years, and was in Durham when Duke beat UNLV. The greatest party I've ever been part of...
    Then I went to Duke for my masters and PhD during the Jay Will, Boozer, Dunleavy years - such a great team, with a real killer instinct. (Wish we could get back to that...)
    I've just always loved that Duke teams play all-out, 100%. Never take a game off, even when the shots aren't falling. Love that. What was the last time you saw Duke get beat by more than 15 points???? Hardly ever. And that's why I'll always be a Blue Devil... They are what's right about college basketball.

I'm with Roy. I grew up in Durham, son of a 1947 Duke alum, and started going to Duke football and basketball games with my dad in 1960 when I was 6. Forty-eight years later,I have maintained season tickets to both. Both my undergraduate and law school degrees are from UNC, but I used to hitch hike home from Chapel Hill to go to all the Duke games with my dad - I( had it bad. I still have it bad. My wife and I have 5 degrees from UNC between us but we are the biggest Duke fans you will ever meet. I raised my son and daughter like my dad raised me - the right way - the Duke way!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by DukeWarhead
    What was the last time you saw Duke get beat by more than 15 points???? Hardly ever.
    That comment peaked my curiosity a bit, so I did some searching on Go Duke stats (the heaven of the internet). The last time we lost a game by 15 points was back on 1-18-2003 at Maryland. The last time we lost a game by more than 15 points was on 2-5-1998 when we lost by 24 at second-ranked North Carolina.

Pretty amazing is our standard of excellence.

I was born a Kentucky fan. Christian Laettner broke my heart but the 17 point, less than ten minutes to go comeback in '96 exorcised the ghost of Hill to Laettner to heartbreak.

As luck and love would have it, I fell in love with a Duke girl. One of the ways I first flirted with her was to "kidnap" her Duke snowglobe. I even used newsprint to fashion a ransom note and took polaroids of it tied up in a warehouse. Our first Christmas together I scored two bleecher tickets to a Christmas break game @ CIS. Here is a link to the thread about that: (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ead.php?t=5977).

Well, having experienced the beauty and passion of CIS, I melted a little and my ladylove turned me on to "Leading with The Heart". I learned more from Coach K's book than four years in business school - granted, I didn't go to Fuqua, but still. I sent an email to Coach K's assistant thanking him and within 48 hours, I received a return email from the man himself. And it wasn't a form email. He addressed specifics from my email. I printed that email and have it on my desk to this day.

Duke basketball is more than just ten kids throwing a ball through a hoop. Duke basketball embodies all that college athletics should be - elite performance to enhance the university experience on the way to a meaningful education.

Now, the next time UofK and Duke meet in the tournament, I'll be behind my Cats all the way. But until that happens, and I'd say I have a year or two before that's going to be a problem, I'm all about the Blue Devils and Coach K.

Jim Spanarkel is the reason I'm a Duke fan. He was not the most physically gifted, but one of the most talented and game savvy guards Duke has ever had.

Watching him run the Duke team made me become a fan for life.

I became a Duke fan when our son became a Duke student. We joined the Iron Dukes, traveled to games and have watched football, men's basketball, baseball, soccer, women's basketball, track/field, and volleyball. Duke has now joined my undergrad school,THE Miami University, in my fandom universe.
    We have kept this up even after his graduation. (Did not join Iron dukes this year)

Bubas and Krzyzewski,
    Marin and Mullins,
    Verga and Vacendak,
    Banks,
    Gminski,
    Sparnakel,
    Dawkins and Amaker,
    King
    Hurley and Laettner,
    Brand,
    Boozer,
    J Will,
    Battier,
    Duhon

And many more.

Tinkerbell

Gene Banks was from West Philly, near where I lived and I saw him play in HS and then when he went to Duke, I was hooked.... of course it's been easy since then to be proud of the quality program that grew into the best in college basketball.

Nature? Nurture? As always, a tough call.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    2nd grade
    Well I was in 4th grade for that...

But the game I remember was also against Maryland. Someone please refresh my Duke memory on this one. It was either 2001 or 2002 and my parents had a bunch of people over for a party and everyone there that night was rooting for Maryland (the focus of the party wasn't basketball, but it just happened to be on) and being the rebellious kid I was I rooted for Duke, just for fun. Maryland jumped out to a 22-4 lead, I remember that clear as day. I was being hounded by the 20-25 people there that night. But I sat there holding out hope the this blue team would win and these people would get off my back. Well the Blue Devils did prevail (not sure if this was the Miracle Minute, I'm pretty sure this was a different game) and I stuck with Duke from that night out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    Well I was in 4th grade for that...

But the game I remember was also against Maryland. Someone please refresh my Duke memory on this one. It was either 2001 or 2002 and my parents had a bunch of people over for a party and everyone there that night was rooting for Maryland (the focus of the party wasn't basketball, but it just happened to be on) and being the rebellious kid I was I rooted for Duke, just for fun. Maryland jumped out to a 22-4 lead, I remember that clear as day. I was being hounded by the 20-25 people there that night. But I sat there holding out hope the this blue team would win and these people would get off my back. Well the Blue Devils did prevail (not sure if this was the Miracle Minute, I'm pretty sure this was a different game) and I stuck with Duke from that night out.
    Pretty sure this was the Final Four in '01. It still is the largest Final Four comeback in history.

I started life as a State fan. Then, in '85 dad took my mom and me to a Blue-White game....done deal. Watching Dawkins and Alarie and Henderson and Amaker up close allowed for me to convert. I was a fairly fairweather fan honestly in the fact that I wouldn't watch every game but watched enough and cheered passionately when I did. I never really got the full impact of the '86 title loss but as I watched more and became a bigger fan and really felt the loss in '89 to an inferior Seton Hall team and round one of unlv, I understood. All of that made the '91 season sooooooooooo good--when people say you need to experience loss before getting the big win I think of all that. I think of the games I watched that we lost and those that I was either too young to experience or wasn't even alive for and appreciate the things that the team has accomplished when they have won.

Easy -graduated in 1974

Son graduated in '02

No choice (but add to that a sense of pride in the school, its teams and athletes, and its "compass" (generally)- all contributing to my STAYING a fan)

Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    Pretty sure this was the Final Four in '01. It still is the largest Final Four comeback in history.
    I think you are right.

So that was 2001 and I didn't get to my first Duke game until February 2007 when they played St. John's at MSG. I am going to the game at Boston College this year (oh the perks of being friends with a BC football player). I have never made it to Cameron but I cannot wait until I do, whenever that may be.