24 last night (4/2/07): What th'?!? (spoilers)

OK, did anybody follow what in the hell happened last night?

A. The Russian guy is on board with Fayed enough to show Fayed that he had been captured and bugged, and enough to allow his freakin' ARM to be SEVERED OFF with an AX in order to throw Bauer off the trail, but then 5 minutes later he turns Fayed in to an angry mob at a bar? WTF?

B. Palmer is WALKING after he almost dies from a coma induced by too much pressure in the brain? And then, after he narrowly escapes being overthrown by the VP he goes ahead and orders the SAME EXACT THING he was trying to make sure didn't happen?!? WTF?

Any and all hypotheses on what is going on are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Any and all hypotheses on what is going on are welcome.
    The writers are desperate?

I don't play a physician in Hollywood (though I do play one here at the hospital). Nevertheless, the show was really about nationalized health care. Witness:

a) the president has been juiced up by his two adrenaline/epinephrine shots, and epi and amphetamine are somewhat similar. In Hollywood, this might cause a jolt of testosterone and a sudden desire to blow up people. That seems straightforward.

b) let's assume that the Russian guy (RG) is a true patriot and is driven to induce a fight between the middle east and the U.S. in order to help Russia regain its place in the world.

and let's assume that the RG knows Jack Bauer as we know JB.

and let's assume that the RG knows that he would cry like a baby if Jack so much as held a blow torch to his eye for 30 minutes.

and let's assume that he didn't want to rat out Fayed because that might prevent the detonation of the bombs.

and let's assume that if he had not made contact with Fayed and just wandered through some industrial park and asked a stranger to chop off his arm, it is likely that the stranger would have lacked the requisite hacksaw and so, even with American ingenuity, the amputation by a stranger would have taken longer than a minute. With Fayed and his friends, the RG knew that they would likely have brought a hacksaw with teeth that bite through bone and would be happy to use it without any substantive explanation.

and let's assume, as they made their escape, that the RG was feeling self conscious about the blood that was streaming out of his stump and onto the barroom floor. In a flash, the RG became aware that his plan for world domination was about to be stymied by a bunch of drunk Americans who were blearily becoming aware that their bar had been invaded by a hemorrhaging guy with a Russian accent. Being a shy about the mess, weak from exsanguination, and a baby about pain, the RG ratted out Fayed with plans to make his own escape.

and let's assume that as he was walking on the beach, he realized that he was about to be caught, and he figured that falling into the the ocean would be better than spending fifteen minutes with an angry Jack Bauer.

If, however, he had access to the sort of medical care that is available to high-income Americans, he too could have gotten a couple of shots of adrenaline that would have swollen his cajones to a size that would have allowed him to continue shlogging through the waves despite the risk of being caught and tortured.

on the other hand, we might assume that he is playing possum and will soon be caught by Jack and hung up by his thumb while we hear that the president has entered multiorgan failure and so the RG is forced to donate his kidney to the president, who will then--after receiving the antirejection drugs--return to being himself in time to stack his Cabinet and the Supreme Court, which should keep us going until 2 or 3 am.

I decided to use the national championship game as the first step in dropping 24 from my TV schedule, cold turkey. The show's been SO over the top that I found myself not caring about the show or how this season ends.

But now that I've read johnb's scenario, I find myself strangely tempted! It's a good thing that I forgot to delete the show off my DVR recording list.

BTW, johnb -- "hung up by his thumb" is classic.

Potw

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    BTW, johnb -- "hung up by his thumb" is classic.
    I think the entire JohnB post is a classic! Good work, John. Your evaluation makes as much sense to me as anything else I have come up with.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Ladies and Gentlemen, we now have a 24 momet to top the idiocy of the Mountain Lion chasing Kim Bauer!! Gredenko chopping his arm off so he could escape takes the cake.

Oh
    my
    god!!!

That was the worst episode of 24 EVER! My wife is begging me to give it up. I am having trouble making an argument to oppose her.

Can anyone even begin to come up with a reason for Gredenko to rat out Fayed? Exaclty how far did Gredenko think he would get without an arm!??! I mean, does he have more than maybe 30 seconds before his blood loss is so severe that he just passes out and dies?

I did love the fact that no one in the bar said, "uuuuhhh, dude. Your arm is missing." and instead just randomly turned on a somewhat middle-eastern looking man to beat the !#^@!^ out of him.

I dunno why I am complaining about the medical facts of 24 when we have a president who was in a medically induced coma just minutes ago but is now wearing a suit and arguing with the VP. Yeah, that's likely!

I need to think long and hard if I should continue watching. The writers on this show may be the worst on television. There is no question in my mind that they are making this stuff up as they go along.

-Jason "truly pathetic!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, we now have a 24 momet to top the idiocy of the Mountain Lion chasing Kim Bauer!! Gredenko chopping his arm off so he could escape takes the cake.

Oh
    my
    god!!!

That was the worst episode of 24 EVER! My wife is begging me to give it up. I am having trouble making an argument to oppose her.

Can anyone even begin to come up with a reason for Gredenko to rat out Fayed? Exaclty how far did Gredenko think he would get without an arm!??! I mean, does he have more than maybe 30 seconds before his blood loss is so severe that he just passes out and dies?

I did love the fact that no one in the bar said, "uuuuhhh, dude. Your arm is missing." and instead just randomly turned on a somewhat middle-eastern looking man to beat the !#^@!^ out of him.

I dunno why I am complaining about the medical facts of 24 when we have a president who was in a medically induced coma just minutes ago but is now wearing a suit and arguing with the VP. Yeah, that's likely!

I need to think long and hard if I should continue watching. The writers on this show may be the worst on television. There is no question in my mind that they are making this stuff up as they go along.

While I hate to be the one defending the show's idiocy this year (the Wayne Palmer all aggressive on adrenaline was much much worse for me), my impression was that Gredenko didn't want his arm cut off. I mean -- he gave up Fayed to Jack so easily to avoid being tortured, but cut off my arm with no immediate medical attention?

I inferred that he probably told Fayed about the implant in his arm and just didn't think Fayed would go to such extreme measures to "remove" it. This would explain why he gave him up in the bar a little better I think.

You are right about the writers. This has to be the least subtle show in the history of television. Every subplot and arc is smashed into the major plot with the nuance of a sledgehammer. "See, viewers, see what we are trying to do here?!?!? These two CTU agents looooove each other." Yes. I get it. "Seee?!?!? Ricky Schroeder is NOT a bad guy, but we sure fooled you! Did you get that? Just want tomake sure we are clear."

For goodness sakes, let the viewers figure some things out for once. (Which is why I thought the Gredenko arm thing was ironically one of the subtler moments the writers had -- it allows the viewers to make their own decisions/conclusions about who decided to cut his arm off).

Still. Awful season. A train wreck. Yet I still tune in.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Still. Awful season. A train wreck. Yet I still tune in.
    They've already done a train wreck on the show. Didn't season 3 or 4 begin with a train wreck in the opening moments? In fact, I think they've done the train wreck thing twice. That certainly means they will do it again this season at some point.

Actually, put Jack on a train that is rigged to not stop -- sorta Speed on a train -- and you might have a decent subplot some season.

If they shoot down Air Force One again, I will quit watching... I promise!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

It is not impossible at all. T-Bag on Prison Break had his hand chopped off at the wrist to free another prisoner from him, and he found a way to keep dodging the law, run through woods, and at least kill 6 or 7 more people since then. It happens all the time

How about having "10 minutes" to file your legal briefs before the Supreme Court?!!? (who, magically are all summoned and are able to convene on a moment's notice in the middle of the night, lol). My wife, the attorney, got a good chuckle over that one.

At this point I can't decide which is dumber: this show, or me for continuing to watch.