Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Duke-Virginia Tech Post Game Thread

Duke Has won And UNC has lost. What a Great night at Duke. Here are the Stats:
    Jeff Allen 1-4 0-0 7-9 1 6 0 3 9
    Terrell Bell 0-0 0-0 0-1 0 0 0 3 0
    Victor Davila 0-1 0-0 0-0 1 2 0 0 0
    Malcolm Delaney 6-12 0-3 0-0 1 3 0 2 12
    Cheick Diakite 4-6 0-0 0-2 3 4 0 3 8
    Dorenzo Hudson 0-4 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 0 0
    J.T. Thompson 3-8 0-0 0-0 0 2 1 3 6
    Hank Thorns 1-5 0-2 0-0 0 1 3 2 2
    A.D. Vassallo 3-9 1-4 0-0 1 3 2 2 7
    Lewis Witcher 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 2 0 0 0
    Totals 18-49 1-9 7-12 7 24 7 18 44
    Percentages: .367 .111 .583
    Duke
    Name FG 3Pt FT Off Reb Ast PF Pts
    Gerald Henderson 5-10 1-2 4-5 2 7 4 3 15
    David McClure 0-1 0-0 0-0 2 4 0 0 0
    Greg Paulus 1-4 1-4 0-0 0 1 1 1 3
    Martynas Pocius 0-1 0-1 0-0 0 0 0 0 0
    Jon Scheyer 2-7 1-3 6-6 2 5 1 2 11
    Kyle Singler 7-11 2-2 3-3 5 10 7 2 19
    Nolan Smith 4-12 1-4 4-4 1 2 3 2 13
    Lance Thomas 0-2 0-0 2-2 0 1 0 3 2
    Elliot Williams 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 1 0
    Brian Zoubek 3-6 0-0 0-0 3 4 0 3 6
    Totals 22-54 6-16 19-20 15 34 16 17 69
    Percentages: .407 .375 .950

Singler is going to pick up a triple-double before his career at Duke is over.

This is a great night for ACC basketball -- the good guys win, and the bad guys are humiliated down the road (at home, no less!). Good going, BC and good going Duke.

Good win despite some pretty sloppy play throughout the game. I was really thrilled to see our guys show big time heart in a big spot and blow the game open.

Now to complain. FSN's coverage sucked. The camera angles were such have the shots were blocked by peoples arms in the crowd. Really annoying.

Hopefully Greg's 3 will provide some confidence. I was also thrilled to see Kyle play such an outstanding game all around.

See you all at Indoor Wednesday!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Overall an excellent start to conference play. Holding an ACC opponent to 13 points in the 2nd half has to be a record in the shot clock/3 Point era.

I watched the entire game and except for the 20 something plays I missed due to bad camera work, saw a lot of good things. Last 10 minutes of the first half were sloppy at both ends, but after the early timeout in the 2nd half when K ripped them we saw a different team.

Zoubs was key in the 2nd half even with light stats. They played off of him really well. And several really nice ball movement plays with Kyle, Jon, and Gerald. Nolan was solid and I thought Greg contributed nicely off the bench. Very glad to see him knock that 3 down. Hopefully he can build on this game..

All in all a solid team effort in a very physical game..

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Good win despite some pretty sloppy play
    Now to complain. FSN's coverage sucked. The camera angles were such have the shots were blocked by peoples arms in the crowd. Really annoying.
    I was sreaming about that as well. I beg everybody who can to send an e-mail of complaint. We must have missed 12-15 plays due to crappy directing. Maybe someone can post a link to Fox Sports South so we can flood them with "constructive criticism". They always do the worst job of broadcasting. Very frustrating because it's not that hard. Just show the game from the full view while play is going on. Use the other angles for replays. Please!

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Last 10 minutes of the first half were sloppy at both ends, but after the early timeout in the 2nd half when K ripped them we saw a different team.
    I didn't think the coach ripped them, but rather had a few words of prayer with them!

8. Thirteen points? THIRTEEN POINTS!?! Hats off to our D for that performance! Not the prettiest game we've ever played, but we'll run into more "physical" teams and it's great to see how we competed against a team trying to ugly it up.

Especially impressed with Dave's play tonight when we had major foul issues. It's easy to forget about a glue guy like him in the sparkle of G's spectacular plays and Kyle dominance. But having him be there to step in when we need him is a major, major advantage.

We're still a work in progress with some major holes, but this team has an edge and a variety of weapons that reminds me of the old school 80's K teams. Lots of fun to watch.
    Last edited by DevilCastDownfromDurham; 01-04-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Still very impressive

I missed the game--did Plumlee not play at all? He's not showing up in the box scores...

[QUOTE=geraldsneighbor;237215]

Now to complain. FSN's coverage sucked. The camera angles were such have the shots were blocked by peoples arms in the crowd. Really annoying. \QUOTE]

Yeah, the camera angles were all over the place - mid court view, behind the basket, sidlines ect... When will these people (and not just FSN) relize that the normal camera angle works just fine and its not neccessary to change it.
    On to the game: We had too many tournovers, but our defense was incredible - 9 pts in the entire second half for VT is mind blowing. What a great way to start the ACC, we win and UNC looses! Oh and KY lost as well, which makes everything sweeter. When we start putting it all together on offense, and if we can maintain this defensive domination, we will be scary good, and i think we aren't that far away right now.

Count me in the crowd that is frustrated with Fox's video coverage of games - they're awful. Missing game action is bad enough, but being unable to see shots being taken and baskets being made because a fan's arms are in the way is inexcusable.

That said, really good second half tonight after the tongue-lashing/prayer meeting led by K 2 minutes in.

Ugly Ugly game on the offensive end, but great defense for the most part. The only criticism I have really is that Nolan played pretty poorly. He seemed to have no confidence, didn't seem to be talking much, and did a poor job directing the O. I'd like to blame it on the knee, but it turns out he was completely healthy for the game. Bounce back big guy. We need you to be awesome in some of these games coming up!

Quote Originally Posted by patentgeek View Post
    Count me in the crowd that is frustrated with Fox's video coverage of games - they're awful. Missing game action is bad enough, but being unable to see shots being taken and baskets being made because a fan's arms are in the way is inexcusable.

That said, really good second half tonight after the tongue-lashing/prayer meeting led by K 2 minutes in.
    Oh god, FSN is soooooooo bad

Good game even though it was a little choppy and Duke turned the ball over alot. I thought the starters played great but the question I have for the team going forward is how much production will we get from the bench. Of course Greg, Lance, and Dave give us certain intangibles and defense but we need at least a little more point production from those three which seems to be where the rotation ends at this point in the season.

I love how this team shares the ball and they make great reads in the offense allowing for easy buckets. That's something that I don't think last year's team did very well. Last year it was more one-on-one dribble penetration and kick out for three. This year I'm seeing more screens, cuts, and ultimately more assists, something that was mentioned by Gminski during the game. Zoubek played well considering he was in foul trouble in the first half which also limited his aggression in the second half, IMO.

Anybody catch this?

After K called that early timeout in the second half, at about the 17:30 mark, Duke went right to establishing its offense FIRST with a pass into the low post. Zoubek would receive and then it'd go from there. We were very successful with this strategy; coupling this with an increased defensive effort proved a double whammy to VT and this was great to see!

We are still going for very long stretches where we're going one-on-one or jacking up longer shots. That move by K to get Duke going down low was a great move; also, I wonder WHY we have to take a timeout to do this!? Can't one of our guys get that going on the floor without K having to see it and call for it??

dth.

Fox is the only broadcaster to put cameras in the Bleachers with the fans. At least I haven't noticed any body else doing it. Fox does a terrible job, and the ACC should be looking for somebody else to carry the games. The only good thing about it is the presence of of the G-man.

Great to beat Uncle Festus and his merry band by 25 points in the conference opener...I hear even a top team can have problems in its conference opener

Things go better overall with Zoubs in the game. There is more room for Singler and others to operate on offense; on defense, though Zoubs is not a shot-blocker per se, the opposition doesn't often get to the rim.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by bradjenk View Post
    I was sreaming about that as well. I beg everybody who can to send an e-mail of complaint. We must have missed 12-15 plays due to crappy directing. Maybe someone can post a link to Fox Sports South so we can flood them with "constructive criticism". They always do the worst job of broadcasting. Very frustrating because it's not that hard. Just show the game from the full view while play is going on. Use the other angles for replays. Please!
    I will gladly send an email. Is the correct email address available on the FSN website? Or does anyone have it already?

Looking forward to Jumbo's numbers on this game. Go Duke!

the offense is a work in progress

While this was not a great offensive game for us, I thought we did a nice job of moving the ball and finding the open man. I like that we have added several different looks, particularly the use of Zoubek passing from the low post and a nifty little exchange with Greg screening for Singler, popping out to get the pass at the three point line, then feeding Singler in the low post.

With a greater diversity of looks, we are less subject to the defense being able to key on one player, but it also leads to some miscommunication and bad passes until everyone gets more comfortable with seeing the ball moving from (and to) different places. I think we will be in good shape as the year moves along.

Watching the game in person, I was actually pretty happy with Nolan's play for most of the game. He is still getting used to his role, but I think he may have the most offensive upside as the year progresses.