Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Duke 69, Virginia Tech 44

I’m surprised that there is no discussion of the Devils’ first conference game this coming Sunday against Virginia Tech so I’ll start it off with a few thoughts.

• The Hokies return all but one starter from last year’s team and were thought to be one of the top 5-6 teams coming into this year. However, they suffered four close defeats, including a one point loss to Xavier in overtime and a two point loss to a strong Wisconsin team. They are 64th in the RPI and need a good conference season and a signature win or two to make the NCAAT, IMO.
    • I consider Tech to be equivalent of any team the Devils have played this year plus they have the advantage of playing the Devils every year so the players and coach understand the way Duke plays.
    • The top players for Tech are Vassallo, Delaney and Allen. Allen is a tough inside player and Vassallo and Delaney are excellent perimeter players. The problem has been finding two players to complement them. Thompson came on very strong last year but has been injured and only recently started playing. He is a very good rebounder who can score close to the basket and I would expect him to start over Davila or Diakite . Based on last year, I expected Thorns to again start in the backcourt along with Delaney. Thorns is short and quick and was a decent point guard at the end of last year. However, Delaney has been playing the point and Hudson has been in the backcourt opposite him.
    • I expect a close and physical game. I further expect Tech to slow it down and depend on their big men to control the boards. The Devils have been an outstanding rebounding team to date but Tech appears to be the stronger team down low, IMO. The Devils will need to make Tech turn it over and then hit their shots. Tech is a good free throw shooting team so it is important not to foul (particularly their jump shooters).
    • The Devils should win this game at home but it is far from a gimme considering the incentives for Tech.

gw67

Enjoy your first trip to CIS. I'll never forget my first trip there. Thomas Hill started the game very hot and during the first TV timeout the crazies were chanting "State's got 5, T's got 11."

Cameron has to be the best venue to watch a sporting event.

Tech has to be the most unlucky team in the past 5 years with all the buzzer-beaters. Thankfully Washington is gone so I am hoping for fewer dirty plays and less drama.

Virginia Tech has shown an uncanny ability to play to the level of the opposition, or just slightly below. They should be a pretty good team, but haven't really shown it to this point. I'll go with the home team by 10 to 15.

This contest will be my first trip to Cameron for the season, and I simply cannot wait. I will be flying down from Columbus Sunday morning, catching a bite to eat at Elmo's diner, and then traveling through a spruce painted wonderland to our gothic cathedral.

As for the contest itself, I, too, hope it is drama-less and that we take the Hokies to the shed. I'm a bit of a greedy guy but I would like to see Greg hit about five or six triples, two from at least 30', and our team catch fire for 90 in its ACC opener. A statement game for the school eight miles away.

If I know Duke-Va Tech, however, this matchup won't see either side reach 90 -- or 80. I expect a closer game than most outside the ACC would expect.

We thought about skipping our flights out on Monday evening in order to stay and pickup the game versus Davidson on Wednesday, but, with how the Wildcats are playing and how less accommodating airlines have become lately, that doesn't seem as great an idea.

Not to greedy. I usually want us to go for 100 but this team is more defensive that last year so it wont happen to often.

Expecting a close game

The Hokies have been very tough for us since they joined the ACC. I don't have the stats in front of me but I would guess that they have won close to half the time, and some of Duke's victories were very narrow. I don't know if it's their particular style of play, or if Duke overlooks them, or what, but it will not be an easy out. They've never been intimidated by playing us.

I too am glad that Washington is gone, he was a disgrace. That highlight reel that ESPN showed last year with all of his flops was awesome, it's like they finally admitted that not every call made on Duke's opponents is solely the result of a Duke bias.

any nolan knee news?

I have heard it suggested a number of times from friends that, should Nolan not play, Greg would remain on the bench while Scheyer moves to the point and Dave or E-will start the game. Is it just me or is this idea beyond ridiculous? Does anybody actually think this will happen?

wasting more time at work...

OK I looked it up... according to Hokiesports.com, VT is 2-4 against Duke since 2004. This includes a 69-67 VT victory in OT, and of course the Dockery game.

Here's some video to get you fired up (even though Washington's not there any more)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DrgNEZ8VR8

I would guess no

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I have heard it suggested a number of times from friends that, should Nolan not play, Greg would remain on the bench while Scheyer moves to the point and Dave or E-will start the game. Is it just me or is this idea beyond ridiculous? Does anybody actually think this will happen?
    Whether or not it makes sense to do that talent-wise, I don't think Coach K would do that because it would absolutely destroy Paulus's confidence, which must already be hurt from not starting and also being hurt. Senior leadership is something Coach K has always emphasized as being equally if not more important than talent, so I think that Greg would start.

Besides, you can't tell me that having E-will in the game would be more beneficial to the team than Paulus, in terms of overall impact (positive and negative).

BlueintheFace, it's not just you. It would be beyond ridiculous if Greg took a back seat to Jon at the starting point guard slot. I like Jon as point guard, as I think he orchestrates the team very well in that capacity when called upon, but Greg is this team's backup point guard and should be treated as such.

I know a coach can't always play a guy just because he's a senior or whatever, but Greg has earned the right to be this team's second in command at the one. As another poster pointed out, if Greg's current role remained the same even with Nolan out, that would be devastating to his morale. Absolutely devastating. Our team needs Greg just as much as Greg needs to be called upon as this team's leader.

Of course, I hope all of this is a dead issue.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Besides, you can't tell me that having E-will in the game would be more beneficial to the team than Paulus, in terms of overall impact (positive and negative).

While I agree that Greg would most likely start on Sunday,and should start, I believe that EWill is going to develop into a great Duke player. Albeit rarely, he's shown flashes of real talent. Maturity and a summer sweating it out in Durham will be paying some nice benefits this time next year. Plus, the UNC games are an initiation into a very select fraternity, whether played in or seen from the bench.

IF Nolan doesnt start Greg will. But I believe Nolan only needs 24 hours to recover and will be on limited minutes but will probably start.

Paulus

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    BlueintheFace, it's not just you. It would be beyond ridiculous if Greg took a back seat to Jon at the starting point guard slot. I like Jon as point guard, as I think he orchestrates the team very well in that capacity when called upon, but Greg is this team's backup point guard and should be treated as such.

I know a coach can't always play a guy just because he's a senior or whatever, but Greg has earned the right to be this team's second in command at the one. As another poster pointed out, if Greg's current role remained the same even with Nolan out, that would be devastating to his morale. Absolutely devastating. Our team needs Greg just as much as Greg needs to be called upon as this team's leader.

Of course, I hope all of this is a dead issue.
    Paulus is a tough kid and a team player, however, his play recently has regressed, with his last game being dismal in my estimation. If he is to be the true backup point guard, he needs to play like he can. When Scheyer plays point, we give up some of his scoring as he then concentrates on assists. We are better defensively with Scheyer as the backup point and McClure in the game though.

I think E-Will is showing signs of how good he can be but he also makes a lot of mistakes and needs to grow his game.

To win Sunday, we are going to need to hit our free throws. Thomas couldn't hit any one of six and we shot around 50 % in the last game. We have seen that Thomas can do the job, he must need to practice more or just be more confident.

Nolan's injury

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post

I certainly hope Nolan is ready to go against VT for a few reasons. Our offense runs smoother with Nolan at point and we get better on the ball defense. Nolan is shooting better than Greg right now. Plus it keeps Coach K from having to make a decision about who starts if Nolan cannot play.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    To win Sunday, we are going to need to hit our free throws. Thomas couldn't hit any one of six and we shot around 50 % in the last game.
    I wouldn't be too worried about our team free throw shooting. Against Loyola, we missed four free throws towards the end of the 2nd half with a 30+ point lead, and if you take those away plus Lance's six misses, we shot over 82% for the game. Even if you count everything but Lance we hit over 70%. I agree that Lance needs to get his confidence back, but he had a game like this earlier in the year and bounced back pretty well from that one. The team (except for him) did not shoot poorly from the stripe against Loyola.

Nolan Smith is ready to go for Duke -

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1546

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Nolan Smith is ready to go for Duke -

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1546
    Good news. Thanks man.

I look for this to be a close game as this is the same Va. Tech. team that went down to the wire with the Holes in last year's semi-final game.
    Allen's a stud when he stays in the game and should be a solid test for our front court players.
    I saw some trash talking earlier this season, with several members gloating over the Hokies early misfortunes, hopefully the karma they were laughing about won't in their favor turn on Sunday.