Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asheville

Asheville

I'm staying in Asheville Friday night, looking for apartments and checking out some other things. Does anybody have any suggestions for a good local type restaurant somewhere in Asheville, maybe in the downtown area or something? Thanks!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Pick up a Moutain eXpress (similar to The Independent) when you are there, has all of the local events and happenings for the week. Also, see who is playing at the Orange Peel, good music. There are tons of hole in the wall restaurants downtown, I don't have a favorite but you can't miss with any of them.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

5 Bones - Best BBQ in the state (arguably)

Sunny Point on Haywood Rd has some of the best breakfast I've ever had.

Downtown - A nice restaurant to go to is Limones...it's on a little side street so you might have to ask around. Best place to get a beer IMO is Jack of the Wood. If you want a good lunch place that's got a unique menu check out Salsa's...on one of the corners of the main square downtown. Also, for late night beers check out the Bier Garden.

It's a lot of fun to just walk around after dinner and go into any place that looks like fun...Hannah Flannagans is a personal favorite...Grey Eagle and Orange Peel are not DTown but usually have great music.

My bro lives up there and I used to...great city.

What fares are you interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    5 Bones - Best BBQ in the state (arguably)
    Do you mean 12 Bones in the River District? It's only open for lunch, and you best be prepared to wait in line . I agree with CLT Devil that it's worth the wait, IMHO.

Sunny Point on Haywood Rd has some of the best breakfast I've ever had.
    I agree here, too. Would also recommend The Moose Cafe, near the Farmer's Market.

<snip>...Orange Peel are not DTown but usually have great music.</snip>
    Orange Peel not downtown? It's on Biltmore Ave...I guess I still consider that downtown. It's within walking distance of Jack of the Wood, which you also listed as downtown.

What types of fare interest you, Acymetric?

--grad_devil

Asheville

You should check out the Chrismas Jam, it's going on Friday and Saturday night. Warren Haines annual Chrismas concert...Allman Brothers, Michael Franti, Joan Osborne ,John Paul Jones , Del McCoury, Ben Harper Travis Tritt and many others... oh and of course Govt. Mule. The Rennasaince is a nice hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Do you mean 12 Bones in the River District? It's only open for lunch, and you best be prepared to wait in line . I agree with CLT Devil that it's worth the wait, IMHO.

I agree here, too. Would also recommend The Moose Cafe, near the Farmer's Market.

Orange Peel not downtown? It's on Biltmore Ave...I guess I still consider that downtown. It's within walking distance of Jack of the Wood, which you also listed as downtown.

What types of fare interest you, Acymetric?

--grad_devil
    Oh, I don't know. Any good (not super expensive) restaurants that are local to the Asheville area. Some good BBQ is always nice, but I like all kinds of food so I'll take any suggestions and pick whatever sounds best (or is most convenient). Good music venues for the evening/night are welcome too.

Five months from now I'd be asking about the best bars, but alas, for now I have to settle for food.

Quote Originally Posted by fadero View Post
    You should check out the Chrismas Jam, it's going on Friday and Saturday night. Warren Haines annual Chrismas concert...Allman Brothers, Michael Franti, Joan Osborne ,John Paul Jones , Del McCoury, Ben Harper Travis Tritt and many others... oh and of course Govt. Mule. The Rennasaince is a nice hotel.
    Is it tough to get tickets to that at this point? I'm definitely hoping to find some good music for Friday night, either local or something like that.

Oh, and thanks everyone else for the suggestions!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Is it tough to get tickets to that at this point? I'm definitely hoping to find some good music for Friday night, either local or something like that.
    Call and see, but when I lived up there it sold out way in advance. Cool to hear it's still going on. I never got tix, but always heard what a great fun show it was.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Asheville

I do not think it's sold out. Google Christmas Jam...I paid $55.00 for each night...which is a bargain. Last years show which was one night only...started at 7 and went until 2:30 am. If you like good jam with multiple artists playing together it's a must show.

I do not think it's sold out. Google Christmas Jam...I paid $55.00 for each night...which is a bargain. Last years show which was one night only...started at 7 and went until 2:30 am. If you like good jam with multiple artists playing together it's a must show.
    Yep, still tickets available. I don't have $110 (really I don't have $55) and I was only planning on staying through Saturday afternoon anyway, so I'll probably pick up Friday tickets. Sounds like an awesome show!

A few of my faves...

Here are a few of my favorite Asheville restaurants:

Tupelo Honeys: www.tupelohoneycafe.com

Doc Chey's Noodle House: www.doccheys.com

Apollo Flame: www.apolloflame.com

Barley's Taproom (great pizza and beer): www.barleystaproom.com

Grove Park Inn ($$$$)

The Laughing Seed (vegetarian & vegan fare):www.laughingseed.com

I've heard good things about The Fiddlin' Pig (http://www.thefiddlinpig.com/), but haven't yet been.

These are just a few that come to mind off the bat. I realize how much I eat @ chain restaurants!

--grad_devil

We usually start out at Sante Wine Bar for apps and a glass of wine... great selection. Then, on to Zambra for dinner; it is a tapas restaurant, and it is fantastic. On weekends, they have live music (jazz or flamenco when we've been there). For breakfast the next day, it's the Early Girl Cafe.

Vincenzo's is our fave Italian in Asheville... man, this making me want to head back there!

Barley's is a great pizza joint downtown, with good fresh dough and all that. Great beer list too...it's where I discovered the Magic Hat line, and I always make a point of having a Mt. Pisgah Brown Bear ale.
    And yes, the Orange Peel is most definitely downtown.

I've always wanted to go check out Robert Moog's Moog Music. He's the father of the Moog Synthesizer. A person cannot have enough theremins in his life.

I'm a vegetarian, so I'm biased, but I love the Laughing Seed. It's a very cool, casual place and you'd be forced to try something new and interesting. Have fun.

Seconded on Tupelo Honey. It's really a breakfast joint. Another great choice for breakfast is the Early Girl Eatery.

We went to Cafe on the Square for dinner a couple years ago. It was a great and moderately priced meal. It has changed hands but looks to have maintained a lot of the same great dishes such as their Mountain Trout Dip. Mmmmmm.

Reading this thread closely as we'll be in Asheville 1/23-1/25 for a big band/swing dance weekend and will need a place to eat and quench our thirsts on arrival on Friday evening.

The early leader may be Barley's Taproom. Hmm, wonder why...

asheville friday nite set list

2008 CHRISTMAS JAM - NIGHT ONE SETLIST (12.12.08)

GOV'T MULE
    Brighter Days
    Like Flies
    Bad Little Doggie
    Blind Man In The Dark
    Sco-Mule w/ Tal Wilkenfeld on Bass and Robben Ford on Guitar
    Fallen Down w/ Karl Denson

IVAN NEVILLE'S DUMPSTAPHUNK
    Gasman
    Mean While
    She's Music
    Livin In A World Gone Bad w/ Matt Grondin & Karl Denson
    Badboy w/ Warren Haynes & Eric Krasno
    Thank You Falletime Be Mice Elf w/ Tal Wilkenfeld, Eric Krasno, Warren Haynes, Danny Louis

DEL MCCOURY BAND
    1952 Vincent Black Lightning
    Squirrel Hunter w/ John Paul Jones
    Little Georgia Rose w/ Travis Tritt
    Old Kentucky Shore w/ Joan & Travis Tritt
    My Love Will Not Change w/ John Paul Jones
    Celebrate w/ The Lee Boys

JOAN OSBORNE
    To The One I Love
    Hallelujah
    Cathedrals
    Help Me w/ Warren Haynes
    Christmas Time In New Orleans w/ Ron Holloway

TRAVIS TRITT
    Homesick
    Leave My Girl Alone
    I Walk The Line
    Pickin' At It
    Anymore
    Pressure is One w/ Warren Haynes
    Movin On Ovfer w/ Warren Haynes

WARREN HAYNES & JOHN PAUL JONES
    Soulshine
    Going To California

THE DEREK TRUCKS BAND
    Down In THe Flood
    These Days
    Can't Sleep At Night w/ Susan Tedeschi
    People
    Anyday w/ Susan Tedeschi & Eric Krasno

ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND
    Don't Want You
    Cross To Bear
    Gilded Splinters
    Statesboro Blues
    Stone Me w/ JJ Grey
    Who's Been Talking w/ Robben Ford & Ivan Neville
    Dreams w/ Karl Denson
    Liz Reed w/ Tal Wilkenfeld
    The Weight w/ Ron Holloway, Danny Louis, Susan Tedeschi, Joan Osborne, Ruthie Foster
    Mountain Jam Intro
    Dazed & Confused w/ John Paul Jones
    Mountain Jam w/ John Paul Jones

ENCORE
    One Way Out w/ Roosevelt Collier & JJ Grey

Christmas Jam

Round two comming Saturday night, best $55.00 I have spent in a long time.

Asheville

The show started at 7o pm and ended at 4:15 am

2008 CHRISTMAS JAM - NIGHT ONE SETLIST (12.12.08)

GOV'T MULE
    Brighter Days
    Like Flies
    Bad Little Doggie
    Blind Man In The Dark
    Sco-Mule w/ Tal Wilkenfeld on Bass and Robben Ford on Guitar
    Fallen Down w/ Karl Denson

IVAN NEVILLE'S DUMPSTAPHUNK
    Gasman
    Mean While
    She's Music
    Livin In A World Gone Bad w/ Matt Grondin & Karl Denson
    Badboy w/ Warren Haynes & Eric Krasno
    Thank You Falletime Be Mice Elf w/ Tal Wilkenfeld, Eric Krasno, Warren Haynes, Danny Louis

DEL MCCOURY BAND
    1952 Vincent Black Lightning
    Squirrel Hunter w/ John Paul Jones
    Little Georgia Rose w/ Travis Tritt
    Old Kentucky Shore w/ Joan & Travis Tritt
    My Love Will Not Change w/ John Paul Jones
    Celebrate w/ The Lee Boys

JOAN OSBORNE
    To The One I Love
    Hallelujah
    Cathedrals
    Help Me w/ Warren Haynes
    Christmas Time In New Orleans w/ Ron Holloway

TRAVIS TRITT
    Homesick
    Leave My Girl Alone
    I Walk The Line
    Pickin' At It
    Anymore
    Pressure is One w/ Warren Haynes
    Movin On Ovfer w/ Warren Haynes

WARREN HAYNES & JOHN PAUL JONES
    Soulshine
    Going To California

THE DEREK TRUCKS BAND
    Down In THe Flood
    These Days
    Can't Sleep At Night w/ Susan Tedeschi
    People
    Anyday w/ Susan Tedeschi & Eric Krasno

ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND
    Don't Want You
    Cross To Bear
    Gilded Splinters
    Statesboro Blues
    Stone Me w/ JJ Grey
    Who's Been Talking w/ Robben Ford & Ivan Neville
    Dreams w/ Karl Denson
    Liz Reed w/ Tal Wilkenfeld
    The Weight w/ Ron Holloway, Danny Louis, Susan Tedeschi, Joan Osborne, Ruthie Foster
    Mountain Jam Intro
    Dazed & Confused w/ John Paul Jones
    Mountain Jam w/ John Paul Jones

ENCORE
    One Way Out w/ Roosevelt Collier & JJ Grey
    Unfortunately I won't make it back for the second night, but the first night was a blast! Be sure to let me know how Coheed & Cambria fits in. I'm curious how they are live, especially in a concert that doesn't really fit their music style.

Biggest surprise of the first night? Travis Tritt was sick! I figured he would be a dud (never listened to his stuff, pegged him as a standard country guy), but he had some cool stuff. That instrumental "Pickin' At It" was awesome. Here's a live clip from another show, only 40 seconds long, and the only audio or video of it I can find...if anyone knows where I can get my hands on a full length version, let me know! I doubt you'll find it though, I looked all over the place.