Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Davidson 68, West Virginia 65

Anyone else watching this game? I just saw two of the worst calls in a long while by the baseline ref under the Davidson basket.

First, at the 2:55 mark, Davidson is shooting a FT. The shot is missed and the offensive rebound comes to a Davidson guy who is clearly standing out of bounds. It is not even close. More than half of the guy's foot is over the baseline. he is standing right in front of the ref who looks down for a heartbeat but doe snot notice the obvious out of bounds.

Then, at the 2:05 mark, again a rebound is bouncing around at the Davidson basket and a Davidson player flings the ball back in bounds as he is falling out. The ball hits off the leg of a WVU player and goes to a different WVU kid who had been clearly established as out of bounds and had not established himself back in bounds. Again, this happens right in front of the baseline ref, who again swallows his whistle. It was not nearly as bad as the first one, but it was again noticeable.

I was quite surprised that Jay Bilas did not note either of these at all.

-Jason "nice to see Davidson succeeding against a big conference opponent without a big game (so far) from Curry" Evans

He's not shooting well, but make no mistake - Curry is still playing well and is the best player on the court by a wide margin.

And yeah, I noticed both of those non-calls. I wasn't too sure about the second, but the first one was incredibly obvious.

And man, Bob Knight is five thousand times cooler than Digger.

Oh, also: when they were talking about the free throw shooting, Jay said something like "You want your teams to make more free throws than your opponents attempt, and WVU is nowhere near that right now." I think WVU was 4-12 and Davidson was 0-2 at that point, so...
    Last edited by Wander; 12-09-2008 at 08:24 PM.

That reminds me of those wonderful FIBA officials from the Olympics. I don't remember who it was against but there was a play where Kobe was guarding a player on the baseline and the guy clearly stepped out of bounds. Kobe stopped guarding him because he figured it was obvious but the ref let them play on and the guy proceeded to hit a long jump shot. Kobe turned and pointed at the spot where the player had stepped out and then he just shook his head as he jogged back down the court.

Bilas just said that this was the worst game he's ever seen Curry play. I have to agree with that. He's looked terrible, especially after the first 10 minutes of the game. He has 9 assists so far, but he also has at least 6 turnovers.

If you thought Kyle Singler and Duke had an off game against Michigan...

Curry is currently 1-13 from 3 point land. Whew!

--Jason "and, for the most part, he is not taking bad shots" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

1-13??? Did Huggy throw the triangle and 2 at him???

Not 1-13 anymore. He's just hit a few huge 3s.

Curry had a nice run at the end of the game to redeem himself. He made some huge shots and free throws down the stretch to pull the game out. He made 13 of the last 14 points for Davidson. Nice.

Best worst game

That was the best worst game I have ever seen of a player. At one point he was 1-16! 1-16! He is awful shooting the whole night until the game is on the line- singlehandedly hits the last 13 of Davidson's 14 points - and wins the game. Amazing player who just does not get down on himself. He ends up with 27 points and 10 assists- a ton of turnovers but a win is a win. Best worst game ever.

I wonder how many points Henderson would put up if he shot the ball 27 times.

Why Curry is great

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    Some players live for the big moment and play their best when the heat is on. Jordan was like that. Curry is not Jordan- but he, like Jordan, loves the big moment. He could not buy a bucket all night- brick after brick- and then forgets all of them and just takes over like he was hitting all night. It is not how many points you get with 27 shots- but when you get them.

I wonder if Henderson will shoot the ball 27 times combined all season.

Seriously I don't get [this line of reasoning].

Curry takes so many shots because he is by far the best player on their team (not that big of a detriment, they have some solid players) and because he can make those shots. He's often open for those shots.

The kid is just ridiculously talented and comes through in the clutch. [Accusing] him of being a ball hog [is stupid].
    Last edited by JBDuke; 12-10-2008 at 02:06 AM. Reason: edited for lack of civility
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

I wonder if Henderson could get 10 assists along with taking 27 shots.

Curry is just amazing to watch. And any time a Bob Huggins team loses, it makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ders24 View Post
    Curry is just amazing to watch. And any time a Bob Huggins team loses, it makes me happy.

Ditto on both those statements. I think it was Curry's mom shouting at him that he was over-shooting it that got him going. You always have to listen to mom. Curry's spurt at the end was one of those "Yes, I am a star" kind of spurts. He struggled for the middle 25 minutes of the game then took over at the end. Fun player to watch.

I also enjoyed the Jimmy V speech at halftime. I watched that when it originally aired on the ESPYs, and it was moving then. It's more moving now.

Stephen Curry makes Davidson basketball appointment television this season. Even when he has a bad game, he becomes the man at the end.

All I can say is wow!

I'm not sure that there is a recent comparison to what Curry is doing - scoring by the bucket load AND dishing out assists. Any thoughts as to who the last guy was like this?

J Will!

I wonder if Davidson's fan board has a number of posts like this:
    "Davidson clearly can't recruit good players and is in deparate need of a dominant low post presence like Elton Brand and perhaps a Carlos Boozer on the side. Curry's off night proves this beyond any doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I wonder if Henderson will shoot the ball 27 times combined all season.
    haha, Amen