View Poll Results: Guys, under what category do you fall?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • You just humor them and think it's "cute", but not really take it seriously.

3 7.69%
  • You happily embrace your chick is cool enough to dig sports and be "one of the guys" on occasion

12 30.77%
  • You feel threatened by it because you want your girls to just do "girl things"

0 0%
  • You love girls that dig sports and want them be one of the girls that can hang with the guys

23 58.97%
  • What are girls?

1 2.56%

Guys, under what category do you fall?

Inspired by Kim*'s thread, I'm polling to find out where the guys stand on this issue.

For the guys: Honest thoughts on females who are into sports?
    I was just having this discussion with a friend and wanted to bring it up here. I consider myself very knowledgeable about sports in general, but my true love is and has always been college basketball. I've found that guys fall into one of these three categories when they learn that chicks dig sports (and I mean really dig, not like a "hehe, Player A is hot, so I like the Team X!" kinda thing):
    Last edited by 2535Miles; 12-05-2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Include Kim*'s quote.

To elaborate on category 4. My points are:
    1) I love sports
    2) I love girls that also love sports
    3) It's insanely attractive when they're not just humoring me and can actively participate in being a fan
    4) I want women to maintain their identity and not have to feel like watching sports makes them "just one of the guys". IMHO, it doesn't make them one of the guys and it never should. It just makes them even more awesome as a woman.

I'm selecting #4 even though I'm shockingly antisocial and there really is no "the guys" in my world.

When my now wife and I met, she was a huge Redskins fan, and not even much aware of NCAA Basketball. She is now gadzooks, and a HUGE Duke fan.
    Class of Billy King and Chris Moreland

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBill View Post
    When my now wife and I met, she was a huge Redskins fan, and not even much aware of NCAA Basketball. She is now gadzooks, and a HUGE Duke fan.
    I hope she's still a Skins fan

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I hope she's still a Skins fan
    Nominally; I don't really watch much football these days, but they're still my team.

If she likes sports great, if she doesn't like sports great as long as she'll tolerate my habit.

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    Nominally; I don't really watch much football these days, but they're still my team.
    Fantastic!

I've found that most former cheerleaders fit the bill. They are just as conditioned to love sports as any athlete, usually having to cheer for 2-3 sports out of the year. Oh and they're former cheerleaders.

I've found that most girls who think they are really into sports don't really know what they are talking about too much.

I prefer girls that are really into sports - passionate + competitive + knowledgeable = sexy

I would much rather a girl be herself though and enjoy the game then pretending like she is an expert and sporting the yankees hat everywhere she goes.

So for the most part - I think its pretty cute when a girl follows a team. However, it doesn't mean shes one of the guy and it doesn't mean she knows what shes talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    I've found that most girls who think they are really into sports don't really know what they are talking about too much.

I prefer girls that are really into sports - passionate + competitive + knowledgeable = sexy

I would much rather a girl be herself though and enjoy the game then pretending like she is an expert and sporting the yankees hat everywhere she goes.

So for the most part - I think its pretty cute when a girl follows a team. However, it doesn't mean shes one of the guy and it doesn't mean she knows what shes talking about.
    But what do you think of the girls who do know what they're talking about and are passionate about it? We do exist, yanno.

I love girls and I don't even care if they love sports or not.

But it'd be hard to hang with a Carolina chick, no kidding.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    But what do you think of the girls who do know what they're talking about and are passionate about it? We do exist, yanno.
    as long as shes not Doris from ESPN (and in that case I would rather shoot myself) I think it would be great. However, a girl that is passionate and competitive about anything is just as sexy to me as a girl who apreciates sports. I don't really use it as a method of judgement which is why I look at it as just being cute - its an asset, but not a make or break quality.

Tricked

What about the girl that watched sports with you while dating, making you believe she was a sports nut. Now that we've been married for 7 years I'm lucky if I can watch PVR'd/TIVO'd versions of anything at 10 o'clock at night. She tells me sports are useless....I have yet to find a perfect reply to that one!

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I've found that most former cheerleaders fit the bill. They are just as conditioned to love sports as any athlete, usually having to cheer for 2-3 sports out of the year. Oh and they're former cheerleaders.
    Really? Out of all of the cheerleaders I've ever know, I'd say 85% of them have no idea about the sport they cheer for. One girl honestly once told me "I never know what's going on, I just clap and yell whenever the crowd does."

Right on, Sue!

When I started 10th grade, I was chatting with a couple of guys in my biology class, just kind of getting to know them. They were blown away when we started talking Duke basketball and I knew as much, if not more, than they did. They thought it was cool.

I have had guy friends brag b/c I was such a huge fan and knew so much. I could never be a poser and act like I loved sports just because some guy I liked was a fan. And fortunately, I don't have to! Now, if I could just find those #4's . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Canada View Post
    What about the girl that watched sports with you while dating, making you believe she was a sports nut. Now that we've been married for 7 years I'm lucky if I can watch PVR'd/TIVO'd versions of anything at 10 o'clock at night. She tells me sports are useless....I have yet to find a perfect reply to that one!
    Tell her sports are as useless as new shoes...