Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    But still only one at a BCS school, which is just baffling.
    And his seat is going to warm up quite a bit if doesn't win, say, 8 games next year. Hell of a recruiter, but . . . it's time to show results on the field.

I don't see Fisher leaving for Auburn. FSU is a better, more prestigious job. Auburn takes coaches from Ole Miss and Louisville, not Florida State. But, crazier things have happened.

Good for Mullen for getting the MSU job, but he's the lesser of the Florida coordinators considered for HC jobs. Charlie Strong is the one that should be fielding job offers (what he's done this year is very impressive) and the fact that he hasn't leaves me scratching my head...until I remember we're talking about 1-A college football. Then it all makes sense.

I don't think the Mullen situation will influence Tebow. I think he'll come back to college because his skill set doesn't project well to the NFL. He's a decent thrower with a below average NFL arm whose primary asset in the passing game is that his run threat keeps defenses from over-playing the pass (Pennington probably has a better arm than Tebow). That won't cut it in the NFL. QBs are paid too much to be used as running backs and so he will be forced to throw the football against NFL defenses. That doesn't bode well. The only way I see him coming out is if the NFLPA and the owners make progress towards a rookie salary cap. In that case, I expect a lot of juniors to come out this year to avoid being impacted by it.

Well it was announced that Auburn has hired Iowa State's Gene Chizik. He was 5-19 at Iowa State and should have been fired this year. We can now officially be called the laughing stock of the college football world.

The fanbase is lived and threatening to drop their season tickets. It's going to get nasty!

I know I'm not going to fly out to a game next year. We fired a great man and a great coach who had a bad year for a guy who left us high and dry in 2004 to be the DC at Texas and said it was "for a better situation" and then he left Texas for Iowa State and was 5-19?? I am truly embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnDukeGirl View Post
    Well it was announced that Auburn has hired Iowa State's Gene Chizik. He was 5-19 at Iowa State and should have been fired this year. We can now officially be called the laughing stock of the college football world.

The fanbase is lived and threatening to drop their season tickets. It's going to get nasty!

I know I'm not going to fly out to a game next year. We fired a great man and a great coach who had a bad year for a guy who left us high and dry in 2004 to be the DC at Texas and said it was "for a better situation" and then he left Texas for Iowa State and was 5-19?? I am truly embarrassed.
    I'm stunned that this is who Auburn chose to hire. Stunned.

Is this official yet? I heard that the Auburn AD refused to comment on the subject. Odd. For Auburn's sake, I hope it is wrong.

Chizik is capable. He'll have the shortest rope of any head coach in recent memory, though. The fanbase has already rejected him. If he's not 10-2 with a win over 'Bama next year, it's a failed hire.

It's just hilarious that Auburn rejected Leach and took Chizik.

First of all, I think Auburn over-estimated itself in the grand scheme of things. Firing Tubberville and then rejecting Leach was done because they felt they could do better. In terms of landing a big name, they couldn't. It isn't as prestigious a job as the University thought it was, and, to be honest, no one wants to be going head-to-head with Nick Saban in that state right now.

Chizik, however, may end up being a great hire. After Bob Stoops, Walt Harris, John Gruden, and Mike Belloti turned Ohio State down it settled on a 1-AA coach from Youngstown. The fans were livid, but that hire turned out alright. Of course, Tressel had won 4 national titles at YSU and knew every high school coach in the state. Auburn could end up being fine...or it could do what Alabama did for the previous decade--bounce around from coach to coach because no one they hired could cut it against Tubberville and Auburn.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    First of all, I think Auburn over-estimated itself in the grand scheme of things. Firing Tubberville and then rejecting Leach was done because they felt they could do better. In terms of landing a big name, they couldn't. It isn't as prestigious a job as the University thought it was, and, to be honest, no one wants to be going head-to-head with Nick Saban in that state right now.

Chizik, however, may end up being a great hire. After Bob Stoops, Walt Harris, John Gruden, and Mike Belloti turned Ohio State down it settled on a 1-AA coach from Youngstown. The fans were livid, but that hire turned out alright. Of course, Tressel had won 4 national titles at YSU and knew every high school coach in the state. Auburn could end up being fine...or it could do what Alabama did for the previous decade--bounce around from coach to coach because no one they hired could cut it against Tubberville and Auburn.
    I think you may be right about Auburn overestimating itself. You would think they would have a plan in place if they decided to fire Tuberville. We now know that was not the case. I sincerely believe there were others who were more capable than Chizik. I have know idea where his name even came from! From what I understand Turner Gill was very interested in the job as was Gary Patterson. Those two seem like much better coaches. How can Auburn not learn from Alabama's mistakes the last decade.? We made fun of them enough for it! I guess now it's our turn to be laughed at. Karma's not much fun.

I still support my team and my university but this sucks. Thank goodness it's basketball season and I can watch my Blue Devils!

I think you may be right about Auburn overestimating itself. You would think they would have a plan in place if they decided to fire Tuberville. We now know that was not the case. I sincerely believe there were others who were more capable than Chizik. I have know idea where his name even came from! From what I understand Turner Gill was very interested in the job as was Gary Patterson. Those two seem like much better coaches. How can Auburn not learn from Alabama's mistakes the last decade.? We made fun of them enough for it! I guess now it's our turn to be laughed at. Karma's not much fun.

I still support my team and my university but this sucks. Thank goodness it's basketball season and I can watch my Blue Devils!
    I have family ties to Auburn and cheer for them as my third team (behind Duke and Ohio State) so I hope it works out. Turner Gill has proven to be a great HC in terms of building a program and would've been a good hire. Patterson is also an excellent coach. But, sometimes these types of hires work out. Iowa State is a tough place to win, so I wouldn't put too much stock into Chizik's W/L. He's familiar with the SE, so hopefully he'll be able to recruit down there. That's the key. He has the misfortune of coaching against Saban right now, but the NFL will come calling again soon enough and Nick will leave the Tide high and dry. That's his m.o.

And my Auburn cousin just texted me to say it isn't official yet with Chizik...but he's still livid.

I've not been this miffed (the hiring of Coach Chizik) since my Devils went out and hired that guy from Army, a losing record in tow, with the name difficult to pronounce and impossible to spell. Geez, good luck Auburn. Your football program is apparently doomed.

Now, all. Take a deep breath and enjoy the Sunday.

Charles thinks the hire is turrrible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3770769

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

I think we can all agree that Charles makes a good point here:

Barkley, an 11-time NBA All-Star and two-time Olympic gold medal winner, said he served on Auburn's search committee for a new basketball coach after the 2003-04 season. Barkley said he told Auburn officials he would serve on the committee only if the school was ready to hire a black coach.

Barkley said he presented three African-American candidates for consideration: former Indiana coach Mike Davis, then-Virginia Commonwealth coach Jeff Capel and then-UAB coach Mike Anderson.

Barkley said all three candidates wanted to coach at Auburn. Instead, the Tigers hired then-Chattanooga coach Jeff Lebo, a white candidate. Lebo has a 61-68 record in his fifth season at Auburn.

Barkley said he was removed from Auburn's search committee before Lebo was hired.

"Out of all the basketball coaches they interviewed, they picked the only one who hadn't been to the NCAA tournament," Barkley said.

I don't know if Barkley is his correct in his assumption that Auburn didn't hire Gill because he was black, but it seems like Auburn chose Chizik over many other white candidates who also had better resumes.

Wink What's Going On?

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I don't know if Barkley is his correct in his assumption that Auburn didn't hire Gill because he was black, but it seems like Auburn chose Chizik over many other white candidates who also had better resumes.
    I don't know a thing about Auburn, but isn't this the same university where a few years ago the President and the AD got on a private plane to Louisville to interview the Cardinals' head coach while Tuberville was still under contract? The net effect was that Tuberville stayed and the President and AD got canned. Refreshing result wasn't it?

Perhaps there is some lingering resentment over Tuberville inside Auburn. The Chizik choice -- nice alliteration, eh? -- is still a puzzle, but against this backdrop of incompetence, anything is believable.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    I've not been this miffed (the hiring of Coach Chizik) since my Devils went out and hired that guy from Army, a losing record in tow, with the name difficult to pronounce and impossible to spell. Geez, good luck Auburn. Your football program is apparently doomed.

Now, all. Take a deep breath and enjoy the Sunday.
    I thought K had an overall winning record and had just taken the Knights to the NIT the season before he was hired at Duke.

Nebraska is still recovering from the self-inflicted wound they caused themselves when they fired Solich.

I will field this one. In my opinion, Solich needed to go when he went. By 2003, he had lost all of Dr. Tom's recruits, and his lack of head coaching ability (both gameday and on the recruiting trail) were showing. Sure, we were 9-3 when he was fired, but it was a smokescreen: we were blown out against the teams who had talent (Mizzou, Texas, K-State). He probably should have had another year with his new staff at the time, but eventually he needed to go. The biggest mistake was hiring the Snake-Oil salesman (Callahan).

And, I'm not too torn up about Gill not getting the Auburn job. That job is a death trap; he's hot now, but if he is continually successful at Buffalo, he'll be the hottest commodity in CFB in a year or two. He'll have better opportunities at much better schools.

Can I ask why people here seem to think Auburn is a crap job? You're talking about one of the most historically powerful and consistent football programs in the SEC and NCAA. They've been more consistent in winning than LSU, Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia over the past 30 years, only UF has been more consistent than the Tigers. Prestige-wise Auburn is a better job than any the ACC has to offer except maybe FSU or Miami, and they're a long, long long way from the national relevance Auburn currently has.

Wink Good job, but....

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Can I ask why people here seem to think Auburn is a crap job? You're talking about one of the most historically powerful and consistent football programs in the SEC and NCAA. They've been more consistent in winning than LSU, Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia over the past 30 years, only UF has been more consistent than the Tigers. Prestige-wise Auburn is a better job than any the ACC has to offer except maybe FSU or Miami, and they're a long, long long way from the national relevance Auburn currently has.
    1. Nick Saban at Alabama seems like a formidable foe, as long as he stays.

2. The Auburn powers-that-be (AD, alums, Administration -- who knows?) fired their most successful coach in decades when he lost once to Bama after six (or seven?) wins.

Under these circumstances, wouldn't most coaches be inclined to view the Auburn position in economic terms (ten million or more for four years) rather than a sure bet for an SEC or NCAA championship?

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    1. Nick Saban at Alabama seems like a formidable foe, as long as he stays.

Any different than Bob Stoops and Mack Brown? Or anyone who takes the UCLA job versus Pete Carroll? Heck, K will retire before Huckleberry Hound does, whoever succeeds him at Duke will have the same thing to deal with. Do you even want a coach who sees that as a deterrent?

2. The Auburn powers-that-be (AD, alums, Administration -- who knows?) fired their most successful coach in decades when he lost once to Bama after six (or seven?) wins.

Thats pretty much football in the SEC, ask Phil Fulmer, Terry Bowden, Mike Shula, or hop over to WW and ask Coach Cut. They are insane about football and the boosters have significant influence

Under these circumstances, wouldn't most coaches be inclined to view the Auburn position in economic terms (ten million or more for four years) rather than a sure bet for an SEC or NCAA championship?

If you're hired as the Auburn football coach, you're getting paid the 10 million for an NCAA football championship. You'd be foolish to separate the two, or probably soon out of a job.
    sagegrouse

Original post edited to account for developments at SU, AU, MSU, ISU, PU, SDSU/Ball State.

Iowa State -- open
    Purdue -- Joe Tiller retires; Danny hope hired. DC Spack takes Illinois State HC job
    Kansas State -- Program legend Bill Snyder returns to replace Ron Prince
    Washington -- USC OC Steve Sarkisian replaces Tyrone Willingham
    Tennessee -- Lane Kiffin replaces Phil Fulmer
    Auburn -- incomprehensibly, fires Tommy Tuberville; hires Gene Chizik (5-19)
    Mississippi State -- Sylvester Croom pressured to resign; UF OC Dan Mullen hired
    Clemson -- Tommy Bowden out midseason; WVU-style, interim coach Dabo Swinney made HC
    Syracuse -- Greg Robinson out; NOLA Saints' DC Doug Marrone hired
    New Mexico State -- Hal Mumme out.
    New Mexico -- Rocky Long retires; replaced by Mike Locksley, Illinois OC.
    San Diego State -- Chuck Long fired; hires Brady Hoke away from Ball State
    Ball State -- OC Stan Parrish promoted to HC

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine